We're doomed

The secret
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

4th grade is weird. You see? They got kids like me and Desire who haven’t hit our growth spurt but our other classmates already huge like Gramps’ driver. Well, Mr. Jo (his real name is Jomin, but I shorten it as Jo to make it sound cooler), he isn’t that huge, he’s just all muscles. If it was up to me, grade levels would be based on height, not age. But then again, that would mean Destiny would still in 2nd grade. Maybe ‘Ty Wannie and ‘Ty Joy should change her name, no longer Des-tiny, I don’t know, maybe Des-tally.

Why I’m blabbering about height, you ask? It’s because Four Season hotel rejected us for coming inside, despite I already used my Detective Conan gear – you know, the bowtie voice changer. My voice became deeper and sounded like Yerim’s male friends. But the securities didn’t believe me when I told them I’m already in middle school, because of my height! That’s why I’m blabbering about height.

“So, what now?” Desire asks me after the security shooed us away like a fly.

“Hmm…” I hum and then open my backpack. There’s nothing else can help our mission – except… “What are the odds of us getting caught if we use this?” I ask, showing him smoke balls.

Desire’s eyes widen enthusiastically, smirking mischievously. “You know we’re the fastest runner in our class, right?”

“Well, yeah,” My grin matches his. “That’s why we’re popular between girls.”

“Exactly,” He laughs. It’s true. In elementary the deal is if you’re the fastest runner in your class, you get all the girls. Our handsome face and the fact that we’re in soccer club also help a lot in our popularity contest. I’m not kidding! Desire and I are good looking, “Distract and divert?”

“You know it, bud.” I laugh and give him a handful of smoke balls, “Your badge?” I ask him.

“I got it.” Desire replies as he shows a hidden badge behind his shirt. It’s Detective Conan badge, you know, for communicate in short range? It’s not as good as our walkie-talkie at home, but it’s convenience for outdoor use because it’s small.

“We go to the basement. You take left and I take right. We meet in the main entrance and then walk inside like nothing happens.”

“Semper fi!”

“Oorah!”

We both laugh and then go to separate ways, walking to different directions. This mission requires a lot of running if we don’t want to get caught, Desire and I are very good in running. We’re not worried.

“Sai, do you copy?” I ask him after I arrived at my destined location.

“Roger, Squirt,” Desire answered, “In three?”

I know he’s already arrived too, “Yes. On my mark…” I take a deep breath and then hold the smoke balls tight. It needs to be slammed at the hard surface in order to function perfectly. “Ready? One… two… three!”

My balls explode and they release colorful smoke. It doesn’t do any harm, because it’s not flammable nor poisonous. “Did you do it?” I hear Desire from the badge.

“Yes. You?”

“Awesome, bud!”

“Nice! Now run!”

We run as fast as we can. I think I hear something like fire alarm, but I’m not sure. It could be nothing. I meet Desire at the main entrance and like I predict before, those securities at the main entrance are now gone. I bet they’re looking for the mess we caused.

Desire grins so big and then gives me hard high-five. I match his big grin and then we both walk pass the main door with ease. We head to the elevator with a laugh on our face, but when the elevator doors open, a lot of people rush out in hurry. We almost get trampled by the mob!

Soon, the main lobby is filled with people. I mean, like a horde of zombie! They’re scared and panicked! Desire and I are pushed to everywhere and I grab his hand, taking him to the corner. What the heck happened?

“What’s wrong do you think?”

“I don’t know.” Currently we’re squatting behind the big vase in the corner. “Wait here,” I tell Desire and then I get up, approaching people. “Excuse me, Miss,” But the woman ignores me. I try again, “Excuse me, Sir,”

“What?” The man replies with a grunt.

“Oh, um… what’s happening?”

“There’s a fire, boy.” He says. “You better go outside. Where’s your parent?”

“Ah – uh…”

“Come with me then,” He grabs my hand and drags me.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter