Eliminating

Engage
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

After two weeks of planning, today is the day. Sakura takes a deep breath and looks at herself in the mirror. It is time. It will be better after today… right? Sakura and her agent have been strictly professional with each other in the past two weeks. No more words have been said other than those necessary. Visibly, Sakura is chummier with Yujin and it doesn’t seem to bother Eunbi. As much as Sakura has to admit it, she is getting used to the two of them around and briefly considered just abandoning her plan and leaving whatever their relationship as it is. Yet every time she sees her, Sakura always feel a vibe of arrogance and cockiness and ‘you-are-in-my-protection-so-you-have-to-listen-to-me’ coming off from her. Captain Annoying still does not allow Sakura to come to school by another way despite the attack! "We are well placed to cope with anything from the main entrance. There are too much variables elsewhere." The agent said. So much for being the supposed top agent when she is so narrow-minded. This triggered Sakura to straightaway withdraw her earlier thought. There is too much tension to deal with every time they are in a room together and Sakura doesn’t need additional problems; the newfound fish tank of a life she is living in is still hard to get used to with strangers constantly looking at everything she does and worse, commenting on it behind their keyboards. It is so weird seeing pictures of herself lingering around random reddit threads or on Twitter, or DC gallery or whatever odd websites people can comment on.

 

It doesn't help that she is the only one feeling this way. Even though her plan is deliberately planted, Mother and Chief will see that Captain Annoying is not so good after all.

 

Sakura adjusts her blazer and picks up her backpack. She glances at the clock, ‘7:15am’ it reads. She opens the door of her room and both agents are already stationed outside. As expected.

 

“Morning Sakura unnie.”

 

“Good morning Yujin-ah.”

 

“Shall we?”

 

Sakura smiles and nods at the younger girl and walks off in the route she is familiar with. Eunbi and her never makes any eye contact throughout, just like how they’ve been ever since that incident.

 

As usual, her limo arrives in school after Minjoo’s. She watches as her stepsister walk gracefully with Chaewon and Yena by her side. Minjoo’s beauty is a natural showstopper, even Sakura acknowledges beauty despite their rather foreign relationship. Sakura steps out after Minjoo leaves. Eunbi waits outside with her sunglasses on, again nonchalantly looking elsewhere. Likewise, Sakura gets off the car and walks towards the school, keeping her eyes ahead. She clicks her phone's homescreen, “7:56am”.

 

She has already gotten used to her routine having gone through 2 weeks of it. Today’s class schedule starts with physical education class, aka the class she hates the most - and that is saying something given the existence of science and mathematics. She really hates sweating and her legs don’t seem to move very well when she is told to run. Sakura sighs as she changes out of her uniform to a t-shirt. Her other classmates are all talking amongst themselves as she folds her clothes neatly to put them on the table. She continues her scan and sees the two agents outside. The two agents are talking to each other again while they wait. Sakura takes the opportunity where no one is watching to pocket her phone in her shorts.

 

“So we watch her together for this class then take turns for our break?” Eunbi and Yujin are discussing between themselves the assignment for today’s day in school.

 

“Yep, since the first class is outdoors we need to take more precaution. But otherwise indoors are something manageable since she will be in the classroom most of the time. In fact, I’ll just watch over her for the first half of the day, you can use that time to prepare for the upcoming test. You need to score well if not there will be additional training. Surely you don’t want that right Ahn Yujin?”

 

Yujin sighs at the thought of it. Trainees in their first year have regular examinations on top of their duties and regular training. This is to ensure that they are continuously brushing up in order to perform at the top of their game. As Eunbi warned, failures of the test will be subjected to additional training. This means lesser sleeping time and that scares Yujin.

 

“Ah… unnie…” Yujin whines to her senior.

 

Eunbi cannot resist but pat the taller girl on her head. “First years are the worst but once you get through it, everything will be easier.”

 

“That’s what everybody said about training! Now you are using this excuse for first year. I hope this does not happen in my second year, or else.”

 

“Or else you leave the best security intelligence agency in the nation?” Eunbi smirks before her eyes catch Sakura making her way to the door. “Take today to brush up. You wouldn’t regret it.” Eunbi naturally moves to the door to wait for her principal.

 

Yujin nods and picks up her slumped shoulders to situate herself at the door with Eunbi.

 

Sakura casually picks up her water bottle and makes her way out when she notices that her classmates are leaving. 8:15am, she glances at the clock on the wall as she walks out behind her classmates. Eunbi and Yujin follows along behind their principal.

 

As they make their way to the field, they pass by Minjoo’s classroom with Chaewon stationed there. The agents politely acknowledge one another and Eunbi casts her eyes into the classroom she is very familiar with since Minjoo was after all her principal for awhile. Minjoo notices Eunbi looking at her and lifts her palm to give the older girl a cute wave. Upon seeing that, Eunbi smiles and waves back. Even after Eunbi is out of sight, the eyesmile on Minjoo’s face remains on. Chaewon sees that and moves her eyes to stare at the back of the departing Captain.

 

--

 

Why do all physical education classes require running? Can’t something physical be like moving your fingers quickly on a keyboard? What is this bodyparts discrimination? We must treat all parts equally. Sakura laments in her head as she is made to run laps around the field.

 

“Oh my god unnie this is like her second physical education class already but I still can’t get used to how Sakura unnie runs. How can someone’s body move so awkwardly like that? She really looks like a chick.” Yujin laughs loudly while Sakura is in misery.

 

Eunbi is trying to remain professional but she can’t help but giggle too. She agrees with the younger agent, their principal clearly is not physically talented.

 

“And she keeps gripping her thigh! Gosh, does it really cramp up this fast?” Yujin continues laughing.

 

“Enough Pluto.” Eunbi’s stern voice shuts Yujin up immediately. Does she need an ice pack? Eunbi looks at the clearly struggling girl in the field.

 

Actually, Sakura’s phone in the pocket is giving her more trouble than intended. Why did I have to start running with it, urgh… She succumbs to holding onto it in an attempt to stabilize it for her to run easily without it swinging around. A loud whistle sound can be heard and that is Sakura’s saving grace.

 

“Okay kids! Good run, come back in to drink some water and rest before we continue onto the next activity.” Sakura grunts. Then a thought in her head instantly energises her again when she spots her two agents. Going to start phase 1 of my plan.

 

Sakura picks up her bottle and gulps down everything. That exercise surely took something out of her. And I probably wouldn’t even get to have lunch today. She looks at Eunbi.

 

Eunbi notices the stare and meets eyes with Sakura as well. Why is she suddenly looking at me like this? This is the first time since that incident she is looking straight at me. What is going on? To her surprise, Sakura is now walking towards them.

 

“Can you get me some more water?” Sakura shows them her empty bottle.

 

“We can bring you to the water cooler.” Eunbi replies professionally.

 

“The teacher is about to start on the next exercise and my legs are already very tired. Can you help me?” Sakura directs the bottle at Eunbi. Then the next word out of Sakura shocks the two agents, especially Eunbi as Sakura keeps her big glassy brown eyes on her. “Please?”

 

She is proud of herself for inserting that last word. That will get you. Sakura adds nonchalantly, “Y’all rotate around so it is not two of you constantly with me all the time. I think I can survive a short while with Yujin with me. So?”

 

The bottle is still directed at Eunbi. As weird as she finds the whole situation, Eunbi sees no harm doing so. And maybe I can get that ice pack in case. Eunbi takes the bottle from Sakura and looks at Yujin, “Call me if there’s anything.”

 

“Yes Captain.”

 

Sakura watches at Eunbi heads back into the school compound. “I’ll head back to class Yujin-ah.” The agent nods and Sakura turns around. She briefly feels for the phone in her pocket and smirks.

 

Of all games, the teacher ask to start the game of dodgeball. Sakura slumps. She really hates this game because of how stupid she will look squealing around and trying to avoid everything. Back in the US, her friends always laugh at her for her funny facial expressions and then she has Chaeyeon who does fanciful action-like jumps to successfully avoid the attacks. How can one make it so effortless to avoid such fast balls when she flails around like some sad mouse. Or maybe I should get hit today? I should aim to get hit! Sakura’s brain perks up at her plan churning out. Sorry Yujinnie. She glances at the agent standing by.

 

Sakura heads onto her field wearing a blue armband. She stands in between her other teammates as her side readies themselves for the attack. Sakura standby to get hit. Unfortunately, getting hit is as hard as not getting hit. Everybody has a friend on the opposite team they like to use the chance to attack. They are having fun trying to annoy each other whereas Sakura is trying to get between them and be hit.

 

Sakura unnie is very enthusiastic for this game. Yujin thinks to herself as she watches Sakura sprint around the portion

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter