White Dress

Engage
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

How Sakura got herself in this situation is one she cannot fathom. Right now she is waiting in the kitchen for the snacks as the kitchen staff scrambles to cope with Minjoo’s surprise order. Minjoo is sitting near the kitchen island dressed in that very white dress with Hitomi beside her. Sakura watches the busy backs of the kitchen crew as they each work their expertise just because a girl wants to impress her crush. She could leave, Minjoo would never stop her but Sakura felt that if she did, she will miss the chance to bond with her step-sister. It is actually going very well. She weighed the option between getting closer to her step-sister and assisting her with her romantic action for Sakura’s most dreaded person - Sakura chose the latter as painful as it will be. I can’t believe I am voluntarily doing something good for that agent.

 

“Thanks for staying with us for all of Minjoo’s craziness. I am sure you know more about Minjoo by now.” Hitomi says cheekily, making fun of her friend while at it. Hitomi is pleasantly surprised Sakura is still with them, she indeed is keeping the ‘hanging out’ arrangement really well.

 

Minjoo glares at Hitomi, or tries to because her expression is not as scary as she thinks. She is still quite embarrassed her new step-sister is seeing her like this. Maintaining her public image up is something she is good at so to be revealed so quickly is something to be said. Minjoo doesn’t know why she is willing to let her guard down so fast. Maybe she is not as bad as I thought. Maybe Hitomi is right, I need to get to know the person properly instead of judging through news reports. After all, her weirdness has not scared off Sakura yet.

 

Sakura shrugs coolly. “Thanks to you guys, I don’t feel as dreadful thinking about the dress issue as before so it is natural if I pay the gratitude forward.”

 

The girls get a whiff of the snacks that is to come and it is feeling good. “Oh ahjumma it smells really good!” Minjoo squeals and addresses the lady who is all the way on the other side of the kitchen checking the food.

 

“Just because it’s you Minjoo ah we are doing this!” Mrs Yoon shouts back. Everyone is teasing Minjoo with every chance they get. Also everyone just wants to make the young girl happy for all she had already gone through.

 

“Thank you~” She shouts cutely to all the kitchen staff. They each bow back to acknowledge and smile before resuming their tasks.

 

Sakura watches Minjoo’s cute actions; the girl is genuinely infatuated with Eunbi and she doesn’t hold back. Sakura reminisces about her past crushes and there is a reason they all remained crushes for the wimp that she is. To be as bold as Minjoo is a trait Sakura admires. Hitomi catches Sakura’s gaze and says, “Only Minjoo can show her likeness like this.”

 

Hearing her name, Minjoo brings her attention back to them. She was observing the preparation from her seat so her eyes were cast far away. “What about me?”

 

“Nah, Saku-chan looks very amazed by your actions.”

 

“I don’t think I can ever be as bold as you.” Sakura says truthfully.

 

Hitomi wordlessly nods too but her companions do not notice because they are looking at each other. This is another rare moment they are addressing each other without Hitomi’s explicit assistance. Minjoo can tell Sakura is genuinely speaking to her, not out of obligation but really intending on having a conversation.

 

“When you really like someone, you will want to do everything for them.”

 

Sakura listens to Minjoo’s words. If the younger girl is right, maybe and just maybe, then Sakura hasn’t truly liked someone yet.

 

“What do you like about her that gets you to do things like this?”

 

Sakura knows she hit the right question because the younger girl’s eyes sparkle at the thought of answering it. The crinkles by the sides of Minjoo’s eyes appear as she readies herself.

 

“I like…

 

Everything about Eunbi unnie. Her charisma when she is in action, her protectiveness of me always worried about my feelings and my well-being. I like the way she expresses her affections, her warm hugs and her random touches. I like the way words come out of , the way she calls my name and asks me how I am doing.

 

I just… really like her for all of that.”

 

Despite all the clinks and clanks caused by the kitchen behind them, the silence amongst the girls after Minjoo’s confession is obvious. Nobody knows what to say after that truthful speech and Hitomi can only call out her best friend’s name.

 

“Oh Minjoo ah…”

 

Minjoo turns to the caller. It is obvious Hitomi teared up because her eyes are glassy. “Why are you crying-” Minjoo asks before her best friend wraps her arms around her.

 

“You are so precious. I am not going to make fun of your crush for Eunbi unnie again because that is so touching.”

 

Minjoo giggles at her friend’s random statement. “Are you really not going to?”

 

Hitomi releases her hug and looks at her friend’s face. “Nah maybe not. It’s more fun seeing you shy when I tease you.”

 

Minjoo softly smacks Hitomi’s arm.

 

Meanwhile, Sakura is engrossed thinking about Minjoo’s words. Through movies and books she has heard words like this but hearing it come out of a real person in real life, that’s a different experience. There are real feelings expressed and Sakura seriously considers this fact - that dreadful agent she hates has someone who genuinely likes her. Thats-

 

Thats…

 

Eunbi’s face pop up in her head - the agent’s nonchalant expression when she releases her from her arm twist like she never did anything wrong. Then another image flashes in Sakura’s mind - Eunbi’s face close to hers when she was on top of her.

 

THAT’S CRAZY!

 

She is lucky to have Minjoo liking her because no one else would do that.

 

--

 

Agents slowly trail into the meeting room. It is not as crowded as before because this time, it is only made compulsory for key personnel to keep the disruption of day-to-day security low. However it is encouraged that as many agents as possible should attend if arrangements allow. This is why Yujin checked with Sakura earlier on her plans, otherwise only Lighting would be participating in the meeting because Yujin would have to be with Sakura.

 

Yena, Chaewon, Yujin and Lighting acknowledges Eunbi as they take their places near the front of the room. Eunbi notices that Chaewon has avoided looking at her. She reminds herself that she has to speak to the agent as soon as possible about Minjoo’s actions at the gym. Chaewon and her may not talked much but Eunbi cares the most about Chaewon amongst her younger colleagues - not that she will ever tell them that. The girl’s introvert nature worries the senior agent and it is not that being an introvert is worrying but more in the way the girl handles it. Chaewon takes on too many responsibilities on her own and keeps all problems and concerns to herself. Eunbi gazes tenderly at the petite agent who is playing with her phone.

 

Chaewon fiddles with her phone by smoothly balancing it between her fingers. Her dexterity and control is a sight to see as the phone only plonks on the table because she lets it. Chaewon proceeds to twirl the phone on the table surface. She’s doing all these because she wants to keep minimal to no contact with anyone else - especially with Eunbi because she knows the older girl is looking at her. Chaewon is aware that Eunbi is in no fault but that doesn’t mean she can handle seeing her face since it is after all the face that received Minjoo’s peck. More importantly, my childish thoughts are not worthy for Eunbi unnie to know of. While it is not obvious, Chaewon respects Eunbi a lot to even consider being upset at her. It is her that is lacking, that’s why Minjoo should never look in my way.

 

Since most people have already settled down, Eunbi decides to refocus herself to her task at hand. She turns on the projector screen and flashes the powerpoint slides she had prepared. “As Chief already mentioned, KIS agents will be split up according to various teams: home base, which basically is the tech team for us to rely on if we need any information quickly. Exterior team, our base agents who will be stationed around and inside W Hotel for security coverage. Lastly, it is the team today, Principals team. This is already your day to day job so I need not explain further.” The slide changes to one with a table.

 

“Here is the time schedule for that day’s events starting from morning. Each of our principals have specific schedules before the gala dinner so this table encompasses everything. They will all gather at 6.30pm at the mansion lobby to head to W hotel. From there, our real mission starts.”

 

Eunbi picks up a stack of papers from her desk and proceeds to hand them out. “The rundown is here for you to read and study on your own free time. I will not spend too much time on it, if there are any queries please do speak to me. I will move onto our gears and attire for the day so keep in mind what’s needed because it is each of your responsibility to have them.”

 

She clicks on the next slide and it flashes an image of two agents, one male and one female, along with a checklist of their needed gear. “It is compulsory for us to be wearing suits that day and that includes the blazer.” Eunbi cheekily glances at Yujin because she knows how awkward Yujin is with her suit. “The newer agents may need to pay attention to this because we need to wear a bulletproof vest. That means you need a resized suit to fit the larger body frame. Suits take time to make, so if you do not already have one, please make your arrangements with Agent Choon Ho, our logistics head.”

 

“I will not run through the usual gears we already have but there is one addition I like to bring up.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter