Engilogue: Plausible

Engage
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

There are tough days in Sakura’s recovery; her wound may be healing well but the pain resurfaces randomly. Sakura groans and sits up, taking the painkiller that has become a permanent fixture by her bedside table and she pops two in. Sakura gulps down the water in a hurry to rush the pills down before she slumps back on her bed. Today is their first date and hopefully that gives her some comfort and her body will play along nicely. 

 

She lets herself lie a little longer before she gets off. As she gets ready, Sakura has to pause at times to clutch the area around her lower back. Her frown becomes a frequent companion to these moments. A couple of slow deep breaths help to ease the discomfort and she continues with her tasks. Sakura wants to look pretty, it is a special day after all. She pulls out a bandana cloth and folds it up into a long horizontal piece, intending to use it as a hairband decoration. However, as a girl who usually dresses in the bare minimum, this attempt to tie the hairband cloth together is not working out as well as she anticipated.

 

The cloth comes loose and Sakura has to persistently readjust it to get the shape together. The lingering pain certainly doesn’t help as well. She contorts her wrists in weird angles, hoping it can help get the shape together, but the cloth ends up wrapping around her hands and that triggers an awfully familiar feeling.

 

Sakura tosses the cloth roughly on her dressing table and her breath is coming off irregularly. She leans on the table as the memory of Lee Sungkyu tying a stray cloth haphazardly around her wrists when he was trying to rush her out comes straight into her mind. Sakura turns to her side window, looking afar into the gardens to phase out the image of the dark dingy farmhouse when suddenly, 

 

“AH!”

 

Sakura screams out and trips forward before she feels arms around her and she forcefully pushes those away too. Her body turns fast to see who it is and Eunbi is standing frozen shocked at the reaction. 

 

“You…” Sakura closes her eyes in frustration at the downturn then opening them again. “Don’t…” The younger girl leans against the wall, putting some distance between them. The reason why she screamed in the first place, was the touch she felt on her lower back - that felt like the knife in her. 

 

Eunbi actually did knock before she entered but there wasn’t any response so she walked in to see Sakura’s back facing her. Sensing that the girl was unaware, Eunbi thought it would be romantic to give her a little surprise and so she did, giving a light tap on her back only to have Sakura tripping forward and she tried to catch Sakura when that was harshly rejected.

 

Now though, she sees why. Eunbi sees something in Sakura’s eyes. The girl isn’t herself. 

 

As hurt as Eunbi is, her feelings aren’t a priority so Eunbi stays on the cautious end by not moving or saying anything. It takes a while before Sakura’s mind settles and she brings her lost eyes to the other person in the room. “S-sorr-”

 

“No, it’s fine. But Kura, are you-”

 

“I am okay, don’t worry.” They can complete each other’s sentences without hearing them fully. Sakura lies because she sees Eunbi’s frowned expression and instantly feels guilt; today is their day and she ruined it by creating such concerns. 

 

Of course, Eunbi knows Sakura is lying. “Can I come closer?” Eunbi asks and Sakura nods. The agent brings her palm to Sakura’s forehead. “You feel a bit warm. Let me get the thermometer.” But Sakura holds Eunbi by the wrist, obviously indicating for her not to go. Eunbi sighs, she doesn’t want them to be this way. “You aren’t feeling well today, aren’t you?”

 

She knows Eunbi’s question is more than just what it is. How is it possible that with just gestures and behaviours they can now read each other easily? Sakura can’t even try to hide anything from Eunbi anymore and she has mixed feelings about it, especially knowing the importance of today. Either way, the lie is over as fast as it started. She nods to acknowledge Eunbi’s question. “It hurts today so I took some painkillers but the fever…”

 

“I think you have one.” Eunbi moves away to the drawer where she knows the thermometer is in. When she comes back, she sees Sakura gazing mindlessly at the bandana cloth she threw earlier. Her instincts are getting more and more certain but Eunbi pushes her thought aside to focus on placing the thermometer into Sakura’s ear, beep and the number indeed shows a fever.

 

“Let’s reschedule, shall we?” 

 

“I…” Sakura tries but she cannot complete her sentence and Eunbi places the thermometer down and reaches out for both of Sakura’s hands. She uses her thumbs to trace circles on the top of them. 

 

“It is normal to have trauma. It comes and at times, it may be more than other times.” Eunbi looks at the cloth, “That felt like him tying you up?”

 

Sakura nods and Eunbi continues. “I am sorry, I didn’t mean to scare you with the touch on your back-”

 

“No, don’t be.” Sakura never wants Eunbi to be feeling this way for her own failure to hold herself together. “It’s just with the pain and the fever I didn’t know of, my mind just-”

 

“That’s why I said it’s okay and it comes in waves. There are bad days, I mean we all do.”

 

“This feels exceptionally bad.” Sakura confesses since there’s nothing really left to hide. Perhaps it is because of her fragile state that her eyes suddenly start to tear up and Eunbi immediately moves to hug her. Eunbi slowly brushes Sakura’s hair, resting the girl’s head on her shoulder. The intimacy from the agent’s touch and scent overwhelms her, causing Sakura’s fragility to be exposed further. “Will I be okay?” Her voice cracks.

 

“I am not going to lie and say it will be the same as before but Kura… you will be.” Sakura feels the vibration of Eunbi’s chest as she speaks while keeping the tight embrace. The low tone resonates. “Whether it is easy or difficult, long or short, I know you will get through because there is the girl I fell in love with.”

 

“Even after this?”

 

Eunbi loosens the hug in order to look at Sakura. “Miyawaki Sakura pushed through so much of me so now, it is my turn. New you, old you, any you, I am here to stay. It didn’t start easy with us, and hey it may not be easy from now on too but the difference is, we will try together right?” Eunbi brushes Sakura’s hair behind her ear - one of Eunbi’s personal favourite features of the girl. “So whether the date is today or tomorrow it doesn’t change a thing.”

 

If all Sakura had in her mind just now were haunting traumas and phantom pain, now Sakura can focus on nothing else but Eunbi. The agent’s sincerity and honesty gives her the comfort she needs and that is when Sakura knows she will be alright. Finally, she lifts the edges of her lips up and Eunbi instinctively copies.

 

“But that doesn’t mean I will leave now… is it okay if I stay? We don’t have to do much, we can lie in bed so you can be comfy, talk, hang out.” Not just because she was worried about Sakura’s health but Eunbi genuinely wants to spend time with Sakura because it feels like it is never enough. 

 

“I’d like that.” 

 

They move towards Sakura’s bed and rest on top of her comforter with Eunbi leaning on one side in order to face Sakura. With her back to the mattress, Sakura only turns her head towards Eunbi. “I can’t believe this is how we end up in a bed together.”

 

This statement is so expected of Sakura but so unexpected in this situation Eunbi can only crack out in laughter at the confusion. “Seriously, Kura. Please don’t ever change this side of you.” When Eunbi regains her breathing, she continues to gaze adoringly at Sakura. She really hopes nobody comes to disturb their moment now, she is greedy for Sakura just like that. Without any words, just in a shared space, they spend this moment together looking into the eyes of the other. Eunbi wishes that whatever she is thinking right now can be read by Sakura; the thought that she will hold true to what she said earlier to be there for her through whatever she needs, and that the emotional scar they are now bonded to thanks to Lee Sungkyu will only make them stronger. 

 

Together.

 

 

--

“So it’s just the two of you?”

 

Eunbi nods at Yujin’s still not convinced look. Then she decides to play the tougher card. “You don’t trust your own team leader?”

 

“Eh, unnie… I am just… checking is all. Okay then, I’ll be on standby at the mansion if you need me.” Yujin answers warily. She resigns to the fact she will never understand how the two older girls are and instead just obliges to whatever is asked for fear of being sandwiched in an uncomfortable situation again. 

 

Eunbi pats Yujin on the shoulder before she walks towards the car parked in the driveway. When Eunbi enters the driver’s seat, Sakura asks immediately. “She’s alright?”

 

“What can she do?” Eunbi smirks at Sakura. “I am Captain.”

 

“I used to hate this cocky line so much but now… the line hits differently.”  Sakura smiles equally sinisterly. 

 

 

As promised, they found another day where it is good for both of them and the delayed date in fact only grew their anticipation for today. Eunbi brings them to Hangang and they start with lunch at a cafe in the vicinity. Everything goes well and as pleasant as it can be with them finally talking without any pretense or labels attached - solely two people on a date. 

 

Eunbi suggests after that they cycle around Hangang, “that’s what people do.”

 

“On an actual date or a drama date?” Sakura quips because she isn’t a fan of sports. 

 

Eunbi responds unamused at the snarky Sakura comment. “What.” 

 

They have grown so comfortable with each other, Sakura cannot resist teasing her. “You are much…” She can’t seem to find the word because she is very amused with the Eunbi she is learning and falling more for. “Softer than your Captain exterior.” 

 

“So you love it?” Eunbi baits Sakura into getting her to confess.

 

“Nah, just liking it.” Sakura feigns nonchalance and grins evilly as they enter the car again. 

 

Instead of cycling, they compromise with a drive around Hangang for the precious and lazy girl. Eunbi cannot win against the girl and her will to even try is barely even there. Still, the drive is equally romantic as Eunbi shows Sakura around and Sakura is properly introduced to the city for the first time. It is made better because Eunbi tells her personal stories of certain places, leaving Sakura to hope one day they can have memories of their own too. After the drive, they settle at one of the parks by Hangang, finding shade at one of the pavilions. 

 

Sakura takes a sip of the bubble tea they bought on the way here and she lets out a satisfied sigh. It took much convincing before Eunbi relented into letting Sakura buy that because as she said, “a recovering patient should not be drinking such unhealthy stuff.” Sakura pulled out her puppy eyes and explained logically, “I finally finished all my prescribed medication so we need to celebrate.” That is how they ended up with bubble tea of their own.

 

“I really didn’t think it was likely with us at the start but now… it certainly doesn’t feel that way anymore.”

 

Resting against the bench, Eunbi’s sudden words surprised Sakura and she turns around to find Eunbi watching her and is still keeping her eyes on her. Sakura smiles back naturally. 

 

“So what are you saying?” She smirks. “Are we getting serious?”

 

“I thought that is what you have always been pushing for, Kura?” Eunbi emphasizes her nickname.

 

Sakura giggles. “It’s so hard to believe this is the same person as the initially rigid deny-all-her-feelings heartbreaker Kwon Eunbi.” They both laugh at the now funny memory until Sakura slowly processes the reality of that happening. Her face turns serious. 

 

“I know between the two of us we are okay but can we really? You know... the family or KIS or I don’t know, the public?”

 

Eunbi is slightly surprised at Sakura’s unexpected worry. “I never thought you would be concerned with the opinions of others. I don’t mean it in a negative way but more like, I thought Kura you will do what you need when you are clear about what you want. Headstrong and firm Kura.”


“Well, changes as a result of the incident are not exactly breaking news anymore, right?” Sakura drops her eyes down to the wooden floor they are sitting on. “Am I thinking too much?”

 

Eunbi reaches out for Sakura’s hand, prompting Sakura to look back up.  “Your family yes, it is alright to be concerned about what they will think of us.” Eunbi blushes a little. “Getting serious... if you want to.” The agent hurriedly adds in the last bit. Oh she is such a wreck but she continues on.

 

“I have to speak to Chief about the KIS portion but the public? Kura, you are a good person and a good person should not be concerned over what the public supposedly thinks. Haven’t we seen by now some of the things said are utterly ridiculous?” Eunbi scoots a little closer.

 

“You are a Japanese who has a mother who found a second chance in love with a man who happens to own Korea’s largest conglomerate. The same man who has no blood ties found himself as a father figure to you, brought real cash to the meet-up even though he knew of the plan to capture the perpetrators. He was unwilling to risk the hope of getting you back. He was willing to pay all the money. He has a daughter who is equally as kind-hearted and loving as him who finds a sister in you. That girl looks up to you so much, she is dropping by your room everyday to accompany and check on you.”

 

With the final mention of Minjoo and her overly attached behaviour, Sakura smiles because it is as endearing as Eunbi says. Her family, her new one, she finally believes is hers now. Eunbi is right, she shouldn’t think about anybody’s opinions but one that comes from… my family. 

 

Sakura gazes at her companion. There is no question that she is becoming a better person ever since she met Eunbi. Remembering the day of her breakdown and Eunbi promising to be more for them, Sakura’s thoughts then shift from one of family love to another of romance. “How is it possible to feel more and more for someone?”

 

Eunbi wouldn’t have understood the sudden shift in conversation if it wasn't for Sakura’s telling gaze - Sakura’s eyes carry the same unwavering love the girl had for a while now and Eunbi recognises it, of course. Now instead of holding back, Eunbi is sure her own eyes are reflecting the very same thing. 

 

“I know right? I am wondering the same too.” The older girl whispers.

 

It seems like right now they can make up for the failed attempt at the gym. With t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter