First Hurdle

Engage
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Tomi! You greet my agent before greeting me? Your best friend whom you haven’t seen for the whole summer break?”

 

“Don’t be dramatic Kim Minjoo. We just texted each other yesterday.” The blonde petite girl stops beside Minjoo and her bodyguard. “Hi Chaewon.” She smiles prettily at the suited agent with her chubby cheeks accentuating her happiness as they rise ever so slightly.

 

Chaewon bows slightly before turning back to Minjoo. “I’ll leave you to your class.” Chaewon coolly walks away without another word. Even though Minjoo’s classmates know who Chaewon is, it still doesn’t stop some of them from doing a double take at the visual when she walks past them.

 

Hitomi’s eyes follow the silent agent until she leaves the classroom. She is aware of Chaewon’s character; having been friends with Minjoo for so many years, she has seen Chaewon in action from a team leader to being demoted. Yet that doesn’t stop Hitomi from being disappointed at the muted reaction she has just been given. So many years I have been friends with Minjoo and yet the way you treat me still remains the same - a friend of your principal whom you treat with respect and courtesy. Yes, she knows the only person Chaewon treats differently is Minjoo, but that does not stop Hitomi from craving for more.

 

Hitomi’s eyes trail back to her close friend Minjoo who is now fiddling with Hitomi’s newly bought purse. Nobody, not even Minjoo, knows about Hitomi’s crush on Chaewon. Honestly, crush might even be an understatement as it may even be love after so many years. She loves her friend, but she also hates how Minjoo is the only reason why she never dared to confess her feelings because of Chaewon’s obvious crush for Minjoo. Hitomi can only sigh at the recollection of her everlasting pain as she sits herself beside her close friend.


 

Sakura was very shocked at Eunbi’s answer. She had expected a refusal and for Eunbi to give in so easily, Sakura finds it hard to believe. Nevertheless, she goes along with Mr Hong and the agents to the teachers’ lounge. The closer she gets, strangely the more nervous she becomes.

 

Meanwhile Eunbi is by Sakura’s left walking with her neutral expression on. Eunbi has made it clear she doesn’t think it is a good idea for Sakura to come. But seeing how unnerved her principal is, Eunbi’s experience tells her it is best not to provoke the bear even more and that is why she gave in to Sakura’s request. Saying no all the time does not help with their relationship so since it is within their means to protect, Eunbi can accept. Yet she can’t seem to figure out how her new principal thinks. I saved her from the egg attack then helped her out from an uncomfortable situation when other students walk in and then she throws a tantrum at me in front of everyone? Does she have an attitude problem or something? Eunbi side eyes at Sakura. She catches a glimpse of Sakura swallowing her saliva. When one does not have experience with a confrontational situation, he or she is not going to deal with it properly. Eunbi moves her eyes back to the front, spotting the door to the teachers’ lounge. This is not going to end well.

 

The group approaches the teachers’ lounge. Eunbi and Yujin acknowledges agents B1 and B2 who are standing guard outside. “Agent Lighting is inside with him.” B1 reports to Eunbi.

 

Eunbi nods. “Please excuse us for a bit.” Eunbi directs her words to nobody in particular. Sakura stands there confused at what Eunbi is referring to until she suddenly turns to Sakura and looks at Yujin. Next their unspoken communication confuses Sakura even more when she is physically prompted by Yujin to follow the departing team leader. The three of them walk to the end of the corridor.

 

Eunbi stops and faces Sakura. “Are you sure you want to be inside?”

 

Something inside Sakura wants her to say no, but her impulse to counter Eunbi’s words overwhelms it. “Yes.”

 

Eunbi takes in a deep breath. “So since you like to be inside the room, I need you to follow what I am going to say. It is my job to keep you safe and I intend to keep my job.”

 

Sakura’s rebellious side acts up again. “What if I don’t?”

 

“I will physically stop you from going in.” Eunbi zeros in on the younger girl. “And you know I can do it.”

 

When the tension becomes really obvious, Eunbi eases up her stance. “Of course, that is my last resort. I agreed to let you come along so I do not want to stop you unless I really feel like your life is in danger. I really need your help to follow my instructions in order to ensure your safety, Sakura.” Eunbi keeps tries to keep her words professional after realising she may have sounded too harsh just now. Knowing how snappy her principal is, the right amount of push and pull is needed.

 

When Sakura does not say anything but instead casts her eyes on the ground, Eunbi knows she got her cooperation. Hence she adds on. “Once we are in, Yujin will be leading you to a sofa in the corner of the room. I need you to follow her and sit there for the entire duration. Sakura?”

 

Sakura turns up at her name. Eunbi finishes with the next line, staring firmly into Sakura’s eyes. “At any time during the process you feel uncomfortable and want to get out, you can signal me or Yujin. Is that clear?” Sakura’s heart skip a beat. Those words momentarily made Sakura forget the hatred she has for the agent before her.

 

“Sakura?”

 

Sakura snaps out of her daze. “Huh. Y-yes I got it.”

 

“Okay good. Pluto, let’s go.”

 

Sakura watches the back of the older agent as she heads back to the teachers’ lounge. The Captain’s back is not broad and solid like typical big strong bodyguards but oddly, she looks every bit dependable.

 

“Sakura unnie, shall we go?” Yujin probes the bob hair girl who stands in her spot even after Captain has left.

 

Sakura nods before seemingly naturally following along.

 

Once noting everybody’s places outside the door, Eunbi clicks on her comms. “Lighting, we are coming in.” She signals to Agent B2 who is standing closest to the door knob. The door opens and Sakura looks in. She first sees cushy sofas being revealed and as the door opens up more, her eyes land on a still person sitting in the center of the room with a table right in front of him. This person looks every bit like a normal man in his early thirties. That may be contentious as even with the entrance of multiple people, he doesn’t faze but instead keeping his eyes down on his thighs.

 

Sakura follows Eunbi’s instructions and stays close to Yujin who directs her to the right corner of the room. Agent Lighting is standing behind the suspect while the other people who just entered the room take their places in various spots. She sits as slowly and quietly as possible, as if it makes any difference to the man in the center of the room with sudden influx of people. Eunbi pulls out a chair from side to sit in front of the man on the other end of the table. Mr Hong decides to stay on his two feet, standing slightly away from Eunbi.

 

Silence ensues as nobody speaks or move. The perpetrator stays still on his seat, eyes on his thigh.

 

“I am Agent Kwon and I am going to ask you a few questions so I hope you will cooperate and we can put in a good word when the police takes over. Your name is Lee Sungkyu, am I right?” Eunbi breaks the silence.

 

Sakura watches the guy intently, trying to spot any signs of progress. Unfortunately for all of them, he doesn’t respond. Eunbi tries again, “Why did you throw an egg in the direction of Miss Sakura?”

 

She certainly gets straight to the point, Sakura raises her brows at Eunbi’s question.

 

However that may have worked. The guy fidgets in his seat and Sakura notices the handcuffs on his wrists which are currently resting on his thighs. Eunbi pushes on. “If you threw the egg to make a statement we certainly will like some clarity as to why you did so. Otherwise it is just a nuisance act and doesn’t that mean you failed?”

 

Finally, the man raises his head. He first looks to the source of the question before someone catches his eyes. Sakura was praying for her to go unnoticed but sadly her prayers are not answered as the man stares directly at her. All she can do right now is to stay as still as possible while psychoing herself not to show signs of nervousness. Why did I ask to come along… Sakura, will you make smar

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter