chapter 1

the lonely cue ball

Eunha woke up in the morning and found a note sticking on her desk.

We will be going to overseas to discuss a business deal with the clients.
I've given you one week of allowance, please take good care of yourself and study hard.

- Mom & Dad

Eunha is from a well off family, but her parents are always spending their time working which results in neglecting their only child. Even so, they are always very concerned about Eunha's academic results, wanting her to achieve the best.

"Not again." Eunha said to herself as she got up to prepare to go out with her classmates, who are also her close friends, Yuju, SinB and Umji. Knowing that three of her friends just joined the school snooker's club, she brought a book with her to kill time while they practice. The reason for her to always hang out with them is simply because she is a very shy person and seldom takes the initiative to make new friends.

----------

So the four of them met at a shopping mall, and headed for the snooker lounge, "Leisure Cue".

"I have been waiting for the weekends to come just to try out some skills." SinB said as she skipped happily in the lift.

"Stop jumping or else, the lift might just die on us." said Yuju when she felt the lift shaking.

"Are you really not going to try playing?" Umji asked Eunha.

Eunha shook her head and said, "I am not even an amateur like all of you, but I brought a book along to read."

"Eunha, stop being a nerd!" SinB said and Yuju added, "Yeah, you can still join the club anytime."

"My parents are in this snooker business, I am already sick and tired to see them playing at home, and always persuading me to learn it." said Eunha.

"Okay, here we are." Yuju said as the old lift slowly opens.

----------

As they stepped in the lounge, they stood at the counter waiting for someone to serve them as the cashier seems to be sleeping with a cap covering her face. After waiting for a minute, someone else came over to the counter.

"Can I help?"

"We would like to ask for a snooker table, 1 hour please." SinB replied.

"Looks like all of you are newcomers, welcome, my name is Namjoo, one of the assistants in this shop. Enjoy your game, Table 8." said the person as she brought up the snooker balls and cue chalk.

Four of them thanked Namjoo and headed off to their table.

----------

"Namjoo, newcomers?" said the bartender who came from the bar counter.

"That's common but Yerin, look over there." Namjoo said.

"Three new players and a nerd." Yerin said as she saw Yuju, SinB and Umji starting while Eunha is sitting in one corner reading her book.

"Boss is sleeping?" Yerin asked.

"Yeah, as usual." Namjoo replied and laughed.

----------

The three girls are making alot of noise to try out the game as the coach in their school club didn't allow them to play a game yet. As they are playing, a group of four people approached their table.

"Are you all playing snooker or are you making noise here?" A girl from the group spoke up.

"We paid for this, so it's none of your business." SinB retorted back.

"Oh really? I'm so sorry, but I guess you guys are pro in playing, eh?" said another guy.

"Yeah, we are experts, so what?" Yuju lied as she can't stand the group of people picking on them.

"Then maybe you can help me to clear my 8-ball pool game. I need to win this round." said the girl.

"8-ball? Oh come on, we are playing snooker, 8-ball is meant for kids." Yuju said.

"Then okay, this is the deal, if you clear the game, we will kneel down and apologise, if you don't, we will give your friend sitting over there a tight slap." said the guy pointing at Eunha.

"Don't mess with them." Eunha stood up and whispered to Yuju.

"Deal!" SinB said.

But as the group of people step aside to show them their pool table, Yuju and the rest were shocked by it. There are 3 colored balls being seperated on the table forming a triangle.

"This is obviously a set up." said Yuju.

"Whatever it is, we are already in this deal." The girl said as she hand over the cue stick to them.

"We are not going to play this." SinB said knowing that even if they do, they can't win.

"Then we are going straight to the punishment." The girl said as she moved towards Eunha and as she is about to hit Eunha's face, someone stepped in and grabbed onto the girl's hand.

"What do you think you are doing here in my shop?" The person said.

"This is between us, they backed out from the deal and we have to stick to the punishment right?" The girl said.

Instead of worrying what might happen to her later, Eunha can't help it but to keep staring at the person who stopped the slap in time.

"She looks really fierce..." Eunha said to herself.

"Okay, fair. But can I know what is the deal?" The person asked.

"Just clear this game." The girl replied.

"I'll do it." The person said and took over the cue stick without hesitating.

"You are just dragging the punishment." said the girl.

"Watch her do it." said Namjoo as she stepped in and stand beside the person.

The person bend down to the same view as the table and placed the cue stick over her knuckles. And as she is getting ready to strike the cue ball, Eunha saw a half-heart pendant falling out from the person's shirt, which made her even more curious about her saviour.

Within five seconds, the person strike the cue ball hard enough at one of the colored balls, causing it to rebound and went into the pocket together with another colored ball. At the same time, the cue ball sent the last colored ball into another pocket, and stopped just before the cue ball go into the pocket as well. This short performance left everyone there shocked at what the person has just done.

"Here you go, so I assume no more punishment?" The person said as she handed the cue stick back to the gang.

"Yah, what are you guys waiting for? Go back to your table." SinB said rudely to the gang.

"Four of you are just lucky today. Better watch out." The gang said as they walked back to their table with Umji, Yuju and SinB making faces at their backs.

"Three of you, stop creating troubles okay? They are real gangsters." Namjoo warned them.

"Thank you." Eunha said to the person. But instead of replying, the person just walked off lighting up a cigarette to smoke.

"Namjoo, right? Can I ask who is that person?" Yuju asked.

"Oh? She is the owner of this snooker lounge." Namjoo replied.

"Is she like a pro or something?" Yuju continued to ask.

"I think all of you just witnessed it, right? Just continue with your game." said Namjoo as she walked back to the counter.

----------

"Sowon, I thought you are sleeping just now?" Yerin asked.

"The noise is just getting on my nerves." Sowon replied as she continued to take another puff from the cigarette.

"But you will get yourself into trouble." said Yerin.

"Can't possibly let them hit the girls, right?" Sowon asked.

"I nearly forgot, you are someone who changes girlfriend every two weeks. Time for some re-stocking huh?" Yerin teased.

"There is no love between me and my ex-girlfriends, plus I don't really target on students." Sowon replied and before Yerin continue to , she said, "Bartender, time to go back to your work area!"

"Yes, boss. Anyway, just to remind you, Nayoung will be coming back next week. " said Yerin and she went back to her bar counter.

"I wonder how she did for the competition." Sowon said to herself as she continues to smoke.

----------

Back in school the next day, the four girls sat together and chat during their break.

"I can't wait to go back to Leisure Cue!" SinB said.

"And three of you almost got me a slap." said Eunha as she recalled about that incident.

"If you are willing to learn from your parents, you might be able to save yourself that day." said Yuju.

"Don't remind me, I don't even like to hear the sounds of those snooker balls hitting each other." Eunha said as she shook her head.

"I bet our coach can't even do that." Umji said.

"We can ask him during our training later." said SinB as she starts to get excited about it.

"Then, what are you going to do after school?" Yuju asked Eunha.

"Tzuyu is coming over to my place to study." Eunha replied.

"I really don't get it, she is a top student, and you are in the second position. What else is there to study?" Yuju said.

"To satisfy my parents so they can stop persuading me to play snooker." Eunha said and smiled to the three of them.

"Nerds." said SinB with Yuju and Umji nodding in agreement.

----------

As the school bell rang for the last time of the day, Eunha bids goodbye to her three friends and left the school. Having to live near to the school, Eunha only need a 15 minutes walk for her to get home. And on the way, she will always pass by the shopping mall, of course, there is no difference for today.

"Should I go up and thank the boss?" Eunha said to herself as she saw the signboard, "Leisure Cue", placed outside the shopping mall. She thought that since her friends will be visiting the lounge more often in the future, it will be better for her to thank the boss in person.

As the lift door opens, Eunha walked towards the lounge and realised that the shop is closed.

"They start business at 2pm. Maybe I should come the next time." Eunha said to herself as her watch reads, 1.30pm. When she was about to go back into the lift, she saw one familiar figure lying on one of the tables opposite the snooker lounge.

"Isn't that the boss?" Eunha said to herself as she walked closer to the sleeping figure.

At that point of time, Eunha felt that the boss's sleeping face wasn't as fierce as what she saw that day. But instead, she thought that the boss is quite good looking.

"I wonder why does she like to sleep so much, just like me." Eunha whispered to herself and took out her cellphone. Not knowing the reason or purpose for doing so, Eunha took a picture of the boss who is still sleeping and totally ignorant about her surroundings.

----------

And as Eunha reached the ground floor of the shopping centre, she saw the bartender and cashier from the lounge.

"Are you the nerd who almost got in trouble that day?" Yerin asked.

"Yeah, I’m Eunha." Eunha replied looking very embarrassed.

"Oh! Hi, I’m Yerin, the bartender." said Yerin as she extends her hand out for a handshake but was hit by Namjoo.

"Please don't mind about her. Anyway, Eunha, why are you here?" Namjoo asked.

"I wanted to thank your boss for that day, but she is sleeping outside the lounge. And I have to rush home so I guess I will come back on another day." said Eunha.

"Oh, don't worry about it. Bye!" Namjoo said and walked to the lift with Yerin.

"They are so different from the fierce boss." Eunha said to herself as she rushes home, not wanting to be late for the appointment with Tzuyu.

----------

When Eunha reached home, she went to the study room and waited for Tzuyu. And as she waited, she took out her phone to look at the picture she took just now.

"Till now, I don't even know your name." Eunha said to herself and chuckled.

"What are you laughing at, unnie?" Eunha turned around to see Tzuyu standing at the door.

"Nothing. How did you come in?" Eunha asked.

"Unnie, I found them under the flower pot." Tzuyu replied as she swings the keys in her hand.

"Stop calling me unnie, I already feel so embarrassed to have someone younger than me but studying the same level as me in school." Eunha said.

"The school felt that I am doing too well in where I am supposed to be, which is why I am put together with all of you." said Tzuyu.

"But you don't have to snatch the first position from me, right?" Eunha joked.

"You can still be the first position if you want to, just need to study harder and pay more attention to the lessons." Tzuyu replied.

"Okay, okay, don't start your Tzuyu principles on me." Eunha said.

"Before we start studying, can you show me what are you smiling to just now?" Tzuyu asked, not forgetting what happened just now.

"Don't you think she is cute and good-looking?" Eunha said as she shows Tzuyu the picture on her phone.

"Who is she?" Tzuyu asked.

"The boss of a snooker lounge." Eunha replied.

"And you set it as your cellphone wallpaper without knowing her name?" said Tzuyu looking confused.

"She is a pro in snooker and I am really curious about her. But before I can start a conversation with her, she went off to smoke." said Eunha.

"A snooker player who smokes, doesn't sound nice to me. Plus, I thought you hate people who play snooker?" Tzuyu said and returned the phone to Eunha.

"I am just curious about her, I guess. Afterall, my personality doesn't allow me to have alot of friends." Eunha said.

"Just don't forget that you have to put studies first. Okay, let's start." said Tzuyu as she took out some books and start reading.

"But nothing can kill my curiousity." Eunha said to herself and begin her revision.

---------------

 

author notes: hello i will try to update regulary as i can xD thank you for reading <3