chapter 3

the lonely cue ball

Back in school the next morning before the first lesson starts, the four girls gathered together for a chat.

"Eunha, your eyes are so swollen. Are you okay?" SinB asked.

"Yeah, I'm fine." Eunha replied.

"Quarelled with your family again?" Umji asked

"The same old thing." said Eunha who is trying not to recall what happened yesterday.

"You can talk to us you know..." Yuju said.

"I went to Leisure Cue bar to drink." Eunha said.

"Isn't it dangerous for a girl to drink alone?" SinB asked.

"I only had a cup of strawberry milk." Eunha replied realizing that Sowon is indeed a weird person.

"Strawberry milk, you serious?" SinB said and laughed out loud.

"And Sowon sent me home." said Eunha.

"Can I ask something?" Umji suddenly raised up her hand like a student getting the teacher's attention.

"Oh, I know what you want to ask. Eunha, do you have a crush on the boss?" SinB asked.

"I have never been in any relationship before, I don't really know if it's a crush or what... but certainly, she was the first person to make me feel this way." Eunha replied.

"Good-looking, cool personality and great skills in snooker but she lives in a completely different world as you." Yuju reminded.

"I don't want to think that much, and I am grounded for a week. Anyone wants to join me in studying?" Eunha asked and three of them said in unison, "No, thanks!”

----------

"So, what time did Sowon come back to fetch both of you?" Nayoung asked.

"You can get the answer from our panda eyes." Yerin replied with Namjoo half nodding and half dozing off.

"Sowon, tell us what did you do to the nerd." said Nayoung.

"I did nothing. And she has a name, stop calling her a nerd." said Sowon.

"Are you defending your girlfriend?" Namjoo asked.

"She is not my girlfriend, she is not like those girls who want to have one night stand." said Sowon looking very annoyed at her friends non-stop questioning.

"Okay, this aside, did you make an appointment for your check-up this month?" Yerin asked.

"Not yet. But I think there is nothing the doctors can do." Sowon replied.

"There is, a heart transplant." Nayoung said.

"I'm lucky enough to survive till now." said Sowon as she took out the half heart pendant and looked at it.

"Stop being stubborn. Don't bother to prove your dead parents wrong for giving you away just because you are a half...." Namjoo nudged Yerin hard enough before the latter finishes her sentence.

"…you know that teacher knows everything, you should ask him." Yerin said.

"Enough. I'm not really interested to know my past." said Sowon who is trying to drop the topic.

"Anyway, the snooker association sent this letter to you. Are you going for this competition?" Nayoung asked as she passed the letter to Sowon.

"Most likely, I haven't been entering any competition since teacher is admitted into the hospital." Sowon replied.

"Discussing about the coming competition?" said Yuju as she cut into their conversation.

"You guys know about it too?" Namjoo asked.

"Yeah, but our school is only sending the seniors there." SinB sighed.

"Anyway, where is your nerd friend?" Yerin asked.

"Eunha? She is grounded by her parents." Umji replied as she is trying to read Sowon's expression.

"Is there anything you all want from me?" Sowon said while looking somewhere else.

"Erm..." said SinB wondering how did Sowon know that they have something to ask.

"Win me a game, and ask any questions you want. Three of you against me." said Sowon as she stood up.

"Three? Easy job." Yuju said confidently.

"Namjoo, 9-ball today." said Sowon.

After doing a coin flip, SinB took the first turn but only managed to pocket one ball and failed on the second turn. Sowon took over the cue stick and go to ready position just like that day when she played against those gangsters.

"Look carefully." said Sowon as she strike the cue ball and started counting, "2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9…" as the balls go into the pockets one by one.

"How did you do that?!" Umji asked and still looking shocked.

"Remember? You can only ask if you win this game." Sowon said as she puts down her cue stick and head off for a smoke break.

"Namjoo, can you teach us?" SinB asked.

"Sorry, but three of us are never good in 9-ball." Namjoo replied with Yerin and Nayoung nodding their head as though they have seen this scene for a few times.

"And the competition this time round is 9-ball pool." said Yuju as she recalled what she read from the poster on the school's notice board.

"That means, Sowon doesn't need to worry if who is the one taking the first turn?" Umji asked.

"Precisely. We are trained together for the same amount of time, but Sowon is really amazing." Yerin said.

"Maybe her parents play snooker too?" Yuju asked.

"Four of us are orphans, we do not have parents and there is only a teacher guiding us." Nayoung replied.

"Oh... I'm sorry to hear about this..." said Umji.

"It's okay, we don't escape from the reality. Anyway, what is the question that you all wanted to ask Sowon?" Namjoo asked upon recalling the initial intention for this game.

"We just wanted to know if Sowon likes Eunha." SinB said.

"We are speculating that too. But Sowon is not only a snooker player but a player in relationships too. Minimum a one night stand, maximum two weeks." Yerin said.

"I see..." Yuju said with SinB and Umji wondering if they should let Eunha knows about it.

----------

"Smoking outside is so different from smoking in the lounge. Free and easy." said Sowon as she walked down the street smoking. And as she is walking, she didn't realise that she is taking the exact route when she sent Eunha home last night.

"So you are being grounded. I wonder if you are feeling better already?" Sowon said to herself as she stood outside Eunha's house gate.

Just as she was about to press the bell, she decided to walk back to the lounge instead. "Why should I worry for you so much?" Sowon said to herself as she turned to walk back to the shopping mall.

----------

"Dad, why do I have to be grounded?" Eunha asked her dad.

"Look at this game. Can you tell me what should I do to pocket the number 8 ball without pocketing my cue ball?" Eunha's dad asked.

"Can you stop talking about snooker?" Eunha pleaded.

"Just answer me, please?" said Eunha's dad who is pouting.

"Dad! You are so old already yet still so childish. The key point lies with your cue-stick. When you strike your cue ball, within a second, pull back your cue stick. Then number 8 will go in without pocketing your cue ball." said Eunha.

"See? You are my daughter after all." Eunha's dad said.

"Dad, I know you are trying to tell me that what mom said is simply out of anger. The last time I played snooker, was like 10 years ago? I won't be as good as both of you." Eunha said.

"Anytime you want to start picking it up again, dad will be here. And regarding about being grounded, we will be going to US with for some business deals. So you know what to do right?" said Eunha's dad as he sent the last ball into the pocket.

"Dad, I love you!" said Eunha happily as she hugged her dad.

----------

"I hate studying! Why can't we play snooker every day?" SinB whined.

"I would rather study than to be grounded." Eunha said.

"Although the three of us love snooker so much, but our skills are just... so lousy." said Umji.

"I wish I could play in the competition next week." said Yuju.

"Just give me half of Sowon's skills, I'm sure I can trash our seniors too." said SinB knowing that it's simply impossible.

"Eunha, do you want to watch the competition next Friday?" Umji asked.

"My parents will be back by then, and they will drag me along." Eunha sighed.

"But this time round is going to be different. Sowon is going." SinB said knowing that Eunha will be interested.

"Is she participating?" Eunha asked.

"Guess so." Yuju replied.

"But do you know, my cousin is playing as well." Eunha said.

"Sungjae? You mean the one who went US to learn snooker?" Umji asked.

"Yeah, he is coming back with his parents together with mine. I heard that he has a potential of winning this time round." said Eunha recalling how often her mom will boast about him.

"Then you should let Sowon know, not us." Yuju said.

"I think she doesn't like me." Eunha said.

"And we tried to read her expression yesterday when we mentioned your name." SinB said.

"But, she has this ‘I don't care’ face." said Yuju.

"I think she just doesn't want people to read her like an open book." Eunha said to herself.

----------

At first the girls are planning to have slumber party at Eunha's place since her parents are not around, but in the end, they decided to go catch a late night movie at the shopping mall.

"The last scene is so touching..." said SinB as she wiped away her tears when the movie ended.

"Why do I find this movie boring and meaningless?" Eunha asked.

"That is because you don't know what is love." Yuju said.

"It's something so special that is different from family love." said Umji as she imagined about her prince charming.

"Eunha, is it okay if you walk home alone? Since we are going another way..." SinB asked.

"Yeah, you guys better start rushing before you miss the last bus." Eunha replied and bid goodbye to her friends.

"No point going home when there is no one..." Eunha said to herself and she decided to walk around the shopping mall.

----------

"You are the one in charge of closing today." said Sowon when she saw Namjoo was about to leave.

"Remember that night when you sent Eunha home? We did the closing for you!" Namjoo reminded Sowon.

"I almost forgot about it. I will do the closing later then, have to figure this game out." said Sowon without looking away from the snooker table.

"Alright, bye!" said Namjoo as she leave the lounge.

"Sowon, do you need me here?" Yerin asked.

"I know it’s friday today. Go ahead, I will be fine doing the closing alone." Sowon answered.

"Boss is the best!" said Yerin and she dashes out of the lounge.

"I wonder how can I finish this totally messed up game." Sowon said to herself as she do some chalking on her cue stick and heard someone coming into the lounge.

"Yerin, you are guilty for leaving me alone, right?" Sowon said thinking that it was Yerin who came back but no one answered.

"Uhm..."

Sowon turned back and saw Eunha standing at the counter.

"Why are you here?" Sowon asked with raised eyebrows.

"I was watching a movie with my friends just now, so I thought of dropping by since my parents are not in town." Eunha replied.

"Do you always like to explain so much?" Sowon teased.

"No… what are you doing?" Eunha asked.

"Obviously doing something that you don't like." said Sowon knowing that Eunha hates snooker.

"You are just left with one more ball to clear." Eunha said as she walked towards the snooker table.

"Yeah, but I'm sure I will somehow pocket the cue ball as well." Sowon said.

"Do you know about the cue ball story?" Eunha asked.

"No." Sowon replied.

"No matter how many times the snooker balls get hit, the cue ball will always suffer the most. And when all the balls are in the pocket, cue ball is being left alone on the table. Yet, all attention will be on the player instead. Everyone forgot about the cue ball. Don't they know that the cue ball wants to join the other colored balls as well?" said Eunha.

"Maybe you are right. But as a player, my role is to shoot in all the balls and leave the cue ball alone. I have a question for you." Sowon said. Before Eunha could ask what is it about, Sowon asked, "Are you in love with me?"

Eunha was shocked to hear that question coming out from Sowon's mouth and unsure what to reply at the sudden question.

"If you happened to be, you better stop before it's too late. I am exactly like this cue ball. I prefer to be lonely and those colored balls are just for me to have fun with for a short while before they get into the pocket. Same for this number 8 ball, I am done with it already." Sowon said as she finally pocket the last colored ball and left the cue ball on the table.

Sowon took out a cigarette from her pocket and lit it up. "If you don't like snooker, then don't come here. Don't do those things knowing that they will hurt you. Understand?"

"I just wanted to drop by to wish you all the best for the upcoming competition. This is going to be the first time I am going to watch a snooker competition willingly, I don't know if that is love because I know nothing about it." said Eunha as she walked out of the lounge.

Sowon picked up the cue ball from the snooker table, and chuckled at Eunha's story.

"Why do I find it her so amusing?" Sowon said to herself and remembered the first time she saw Eunha.

----------

"8-ball? Oh come on, we are playing snooker, 8-ball is meant for kids."

If 8-ball is meant for kids, then last year champion wouldn't be a 55 year old man.

"Then okay, this is the deal, if you clear the game, we will kneel down and apologise, if you don't, we will give your friend sitting over there a tight slap."

Damn, this is totally disturbing my nap. When I removed my cap to see who is making the noise, I noticed this girl who sat in one corner reading a book. I wonder who will come here to read but watching her seems to calm me down alot.

"Deal!"

"This is obviously a set up."

And Namjoo came over to tell me that the gang are using the same old method to bully people.

"Whatever it is, we are already in this deal."

"We are not going to play this."

"Then we are going straight to the punishment."

Namjoo said that they are going to slap the girl who was reading. I don't know for what reason, but I know I just have to go and stop them in time knowing that I will get myself into trouble.

----------

"So, did you clear the game yesterday?" Namjoo asked as Sowon unlock the door.

"Yeah, but it took me quite some time." Sowon replied.

"You should focus more on 9-ball, not other games." Nayoung reminded.

"Doesn't really matter, with or without competition, I play because I love it." said Sowon as she looked around, “Where is Yerin?".

"She went to visit teacher." Namjoo replied.

"I should have went along with her." Sowon said.

No, teacher said he will only see you after your competition."

"In that case, I will be the bartender today!" said Nayoung.

"Hey, don't end up drinking, okay." Sowon reminded.

"Don’t worry, I never touch your strawberry milk..." Nayoung whispered to herself.

"You think I didn't hear that? Anyway, there is no more left, I finished it last night." said Sowon.

"Aww,  don't be sad..." said Nayoung as she pokes Sowon's cheeks.

"You are really testing on my patience." said Sowon as she gave a cold stare and made Nayoung flee back to the bar counter.

"Sowon, up for a game? I improved alot on my 9-ball game." Namjoo said and passed Sowon a cue stick.

After flipping the coin, Namjoo pocket three balls straight and miss the fourth one. She knows that playing with Sowon, one cannot afford to miss any ball because Sowon will then clear the game within one turn.

"Not bad, you did practice alot." Sowon said as she get into her position.

"4, 5, 6, 7, 8… what the-" said Sowon as she smacked her head for missing the last ball.

"But it's still your turn. Unless you are going to miss it like me." Namjoo said and Sowon got back to the ready position again.

Knowing that this is just another easy shot, she suddenly recalled about the conversation with Eunha last night.

"I am exactly like this cue ball…" Sowon said to herself and strike the cue ball hard enough that number 9 went into the pocket together with the cue ball.

"Sowon! Did you do that on purpose?" Namjoo screamed at Sowon loud enough for Nayoung to come over too.

"What happened?" Nayoung asked.

"Sowon lose this game on purpose." Namjoo replied and point at the snooker table.

"Sowon, you pocketed the cue ball? Are you sick?" Nayoung asked and placed her hand on Sowon's forehead.

"Yah, I'm not!" said Sowon as she pushed away Nayoung's hand. And she continued to explain, "I just don't want the cue ball to be lonely again."

"Huh? What are you talking about? Cue ball is always alone siding the player, isn't it?" Namjoo asked looking even more confused.

"But this time round, the cue ball found something." Sowon replied but the two are still looking confused.

"Love... Cue ball is in love. Off for a smoke break!" said Sowon as she smiled and left the lounge.

"Did you hear what I heard?" Namjoo asked.

"Yes, she just mentioned about, love. And did you see what I saw?" Nayoung asked.

"Yes, Sowon smiled at us." Namjoo said and pinch Nayoung's cheek.

"Ah, I'm not dreaming." said Nayoung and she did the same thing to Namjoo.

"Neither am I." said Namjoo.

----------

 

author notes: heres a little progress on wonha, tell me what you think! ;) definitely more things happening in the following chapters~