chapter 10

the lonely cue ball

authors note: this chapter is the kick start of drama which explains why there is not much of wonha.. many things will still happen in the next chapters :)

 

----------

Standing in front of a tombstone, a man placed a bouquet of flowers on it and said, "I guess I didn't make it in time. Thank you for taking care of Sowon and keeping the secret about my death all these years. Even though I was badly scarred, it was really lucky for me to escape from death. Without you, I wouldn't have the money to replace my face. You should rest in peace now, it's time for the Jung family to pay back."

----------

"I wonder who was here before." said Yerin when she saw the bouquet of flowers.

"Maybe it's teacher's friend?" Nayoung asked.

"I don't think so, since not many people know about his death." Namjoo replied.

"I wonder was it a right choice for teacher to let Sowon know about her past." Nayoung said, letting out a sigh.

"Who is going to be the one to tell her?" Namjoo asked.

"I will do that. She has to know it no matter what." said Yerin.

----------

"Do you need to play snooker early in the morning?" said Eunha when she saw Sowon playing snooker.

"No, but because you are sleeping soundly, I don't bear to wake you up." said Sowon as she put down the cue stick and went over to hug Eunha from behind.

"I am really worried for the upcoming games." Eunha said softly.

"Let's run away from this place then!" Sowon said.

"Then what about your parents?" Eunha asked.

"We will run away from this place after I am done with revenging." Sowon replied and kissed Eunha's cheek.

"I'm hungry…" said Eunha.

"I knew it, I've ordered some food, it should be coming any time soon. I wonder why are you still so skinny even though you really eat a lot." said Sowon as she hugged Eunha even tighter to prove her statement.

"I am not skinny!" Eunha replied and at the same time, the door bell rang.

"The food is here." said Sowon and the two went to open the door.

"Are you Sowon?" The delivery man asked.

"Yes I am, but I don't think it's polite of you to call me by my name." said Sowon as she stared at the delivery man.

"Are you Eunha Jung? Are you both together?" The delivery man asked again.

"Excuse me, can you please give me my order and leave before I call the security?" Sowon asked.

"Enjoy your food." said the delivery man and he left after passing the food to Sowon.

"This person is weird." Eunha said.

"Just asking for a beating I guess." said Sowon as she closed the door and placed the food on the dining table.

"Don't get so worked up. Remember to take your medicine after breakfast." said Eunha.

"You have to feed me." Sowon whined which made Eunha laugh at her girlfriend's silliness.

And standing outside Sowon's apartment building is the delivery man smiling to himself.

"Let your generation pay for your evil deeds." said the man.

----------

"Why is Leisure Cue so crowded today!" said Umji when she saw all the tables were taken.

"It's weekend plus everyone is so into the snooker audition." Namjoo explained as she wiped the counter.

"Where is Yuju?" Yerin asked.

"She is afraid of being killed by Sowon, so she decided to stay home." SinB said with a soft laughter.

"What happened?" Namjoo asked.

"She just mentioned about Sowon's parents yesterday night." said Umji.

"Oh? Parents... I see..." said Yerin, with an obvious frown on her face.

"Yerin, do you want to go out for a drink?" SinB asked.

"Sure... why not?" Yerin agreed with a smile.

"I want to go too!" said Umji jumping up and down like a kid.

"You stay here and chat with me. I can teach you some skills." Namjoo said.

"Namjoo is the best!" Umji shouted out in joy.

----------

The duo went to the nearest cafe and sat down for some coffee. After the waiter left, there is an awkward silence until Yerin spoke up.

"Why suddenly ask me out for a drink?" Yerin asked as she took a sip from the cup.

"Something is in your mind." said SinB.

"Are you always that sensitive?" Yerin asked.

"No, but if something is really bothering you, you can tell me." SinB said in a serious tone.

"I will, but not now." Yerin replied.

"Alright, and regarding that night... I don't mind giving both of us a try." SinB said with her cheeks blushing.

"Well, I am already treating you like my girlfriend." said Yerin, placing her hand over SinB's hand.

----------

"Why can't you just aim properly?!" Sowon shouted after coaching Eunha for hours.

"I told you I can't play snooker but you just keep asking me to try!" Eunha rebutted.

"All you need to do is to make sure that your posture is right!" said Sowon as she demonstrate the right posture again.

"It's easy for you to say that, if I ask you about Shakespeare, you will be dumbfounded too!" Eunha shouted back.

"Shakespeare don't play snooker right. Next wednesday is your second round, how can you get through with this skill!" said Sowon as she knows that bribing will no longer work this time.

"Just because my opponent is Jisoo, you don't want me to lose to her right?" Eunha asked angrily as she received the text message from the association after the breakfast.

"Why do you have to bring in Jisoo? Is there anything wrong to make sure you play properly?" said Sowon.

"Because she is pro-skilled in snooker, pretty, almost perfect and you should just go for her!" Eunha said without processing her words.

"Fine! It's always my fault!" said Sowon and she stormed to the kitchen after throwing the cue stick on the floor.

"Ah! I hate snooker!" Eunha said as she sat down on the floor. Looking up at the table, she saw a note pasted under the table. She peel it off and read the message.

Yah~ Sowon! don't think you will ever find this message unless you try hard enough. Thanks for your treat yesterday although I know you did it all because of Eunha. But come on, who will give up a good chance to be an official player for free desserts? No one except me, your best friend, Nayoung. I hope you did have a fun time cleaning up my mess! It's nice to see you with Eunha, because it's so rare to see you doing all these sweets stuffs. Awww. I love writing notes because you can't hit me for what I've just said. Byebye!

"Stupid. Eunha, you are really one big stupid!" Eunha said to herself, giving a light smack on her head.

----------

Sowon sat at one corner of the kitchen while drinking her strawberry milk. She started to regret being a player in the past, not knowing that it will affect her relationship when she really wants to be serious about it.

"Why don't you realise that Jisoo can't be compared to you? Do you always need my assurance?" Sowon said to herself as she let out a sigh.

"Sowon..." Eunha called out softly but Sowon didn't reply, instead, she looked at Eunha.

"I'm sorry." said Eunha.

"Not forgiven and anyway, I am going to go out for a while." said Sowon as she threw the empty bottle and left the house.

"Looks like I am going to spend my time playing with you when Sowon is not around." Eunha said, looking at the snooker table.

----------

"Unnie, Sungjae overheard the conversation yesterday night but I already warned him." Eunha's aunt said.

"Dear, maybe we should give up the idea on getting Sowon back." said Eunha's dad, hoping her wife will change her mind.

"Without a successor, I can't claim the 40% shares." Eunha's mom replied.

"You are still thinking of the 40%? Don't you remember that dad stated in his will that this 40% of shares is to be given to the Kim family because of the exchange?" Eunha's dad reminded.

"But it is also stated that if the Kim family is no longer around, the 40% will be given to our successor." said Eunha's mom.

"And that is the reason for you to kill your bosom friend." Eunha's dad replied softly.

"Unnie didn't but it's the orphanage in-charge who accepted our bribe to create that accident. Plus, I heard he just passed away not long ago, no one will know." said Eunha's aunt.

"My patience for Eunha is up. If she still don't show her capability of being our successor by the end of this year, the 40% shares will then be sold out to the public." Eunha's mom said.

"Every year, the care and concern you gave her is getting lesser as the deadline is approaching." Eunha's dad said, shaking his head.

"You should know how important the 40% is to me. Without it, I am just a minor shareholder who do not have any say in the association." Eunha's mom replied.

"If it is more important than this family, I don't think there is any point of me staying on." said Eunha's dad.

"Our marriage was a mistake and I never wanted any family. I did it all for the shares." said Eunha's mom as she left the room.

"If you really love unnie, you should stay on and support her." Eunha's aunt said and left too.

Being left all alone in the room, Eunha's dad took out her phone to message Eunha.

My princess, do you have time to meet up for dinner? Dad miss you alot, tell me where is Sowon's place, I can go over and fetch you.

----------

Around evening time, the crowd at Leisure Cue is getting lesser and both Umji and SinB left after getting lessons from Namjoo. Right after that, Sowon came to the lounge.

"I thought you are not coming today?" Namjoo asked.

"I was waiting for one of you to tell me about the investigation, but none of you called." Sowon replied as she looked at her three best friends.

"Sowon, I think you should take a seat first." said Nayoung and she turned to look at Yerin.

"Is there anything wrong with the investigation?" Sowon asked.

"Nothing wrong, but I'm afraid you will get a big shock." said Yerin.

"I've been through so much, I can handle any news." Sowon replied.

"Okay, since it's just a matter of time. The investigator didn't find out who are your parents, but he found the kid who was exchanged with you. Once you see this picture, you will know who are your parents." Yerin explained.

"Then the kid must be someone I know?" Sowon asked and took the photo from Yerin. As soon as Sowon saw it, she just stood there looking shocked to see the person in the photo.

"April Fool's over, don't play this kind of joke on me, I warn you." said Sowon.

"We know this is not a joking matter, Eunha is indeed the kid being exchanged with you." said Yerin. Not wanting to believe the truth, Sowon dashed towards Yerin and grabbed her collar.

"Jung Yerin, I say not to joke with me!" Sowon shouted with Namjoo and Nayoung holding back her at the same time.

"I'm not, I know you can't accept this truth. But she is really the other kid." said Yerin, looking straight into Sowon's eyes.

Finally accepting the fact, Sowon loosen her grip and sat on the ground, she said softly, "Why do you have to be the one...? How am I supposed to tell you this?"

At the same time, Sowon received a text message on her mobile phone.

From: Eunha <3

Baby, I am going to have dinner with dad, he is coming over to fetch me. I am really sorry for just now. I will make sure to practice hard and give you a surprise on next wednesday's match. I will miss you!

"Sowon, so what are you going to do now?" Yerin asked.

"Either way, Eunha will be hurt. This is a secret between the four of us, don't let her know about it." Sowon replied.

"We will try our best to keep it as a secret." said Namjoo.

"No matter what you are going to do, please take care of your health." Yerin said as she gave a light pat on Sowon's back.

----------

"Dad, why do you ask me out for dinner all of a sudden?" Eunha asked.

"They always say all fathers will protect their daughters forever. I just can't get used to the fact that my daughter is attached now." said Eunha's dad.

"Are you upset that I am with Sowon?" Eunha asked, taking a sip from the cup of orange juice.

"Surprised at first, but I can see that Sowon cares for you a lot." Eunha's dad replied.

"If only mom thinks the same way as you." said Eunha, letting out a sigh.

"She is just worried about you since you are still studying." said Eunha's dad.

"Really? Next Wednesday is her birthday, I will try hard to get through the next round as a present for her." said Eunha.

"At the same time, to impress your girlfriend right?" Eunha's dad asked.

"Dad!" said Eunha as she lightly hit her dad's hand.

"Sowon-ah, I know it's worth it." Eunha said to herself, rubbing her knuckles which are already swollen because of the practice just now.

-----------