chapter 13

the lonely cue ball

"Eunha..." is the first word Sowon called out after gaining conscious.

"Sowon is awake! Quick, call the doctor." Yerin said to Nayoung.

"Where am I?" Sowon asked softly.

"You're at the hospital." Namjoo replied.

Sowon took a while to recall what happened and before she could ask about Eunha, the doctor came in.

"Sowon, how many times did I tell you not to overwork your heart?" The doctor said.

"Is Sowon okay now?" Yerin asked worriedly.

"I gave some stitches on her hand and no snooker for a week. Later my daughter will apply some medicine for her." The doctor replied.

"Jeongyeon is still working here?" Sowon asked.

"Yes. And Sowon-ah, when are you planning to do a heart transplant?"

"You know she's just one stubborn cow." Nayoung commented.

"The girl who came in with me, is she okay?" Sowon asked, looking very worried.

"I'm not too sure, but you can ask Jeongyeon later. She's the one assisting the doctor who is in charge of your friend." The doctor replied and left the room.

"No snooker for a week but your match is tomorrow." Namjoo reminded.

"Who gives a damn about that competition." said Sowon.

"You have to give a damn about it." said Mrs Jung as she stepped into the room.

"Why are you here?" Sowon asked coldly.

"How can I be not worried about my daughter?" Mrs Jung questioned back.

"If you still care, please go and visit Eunha." Sowon replied and turned away.

"You can't deny the fact that you are my daughter." said Mrs Jung.

"Mrs Jung, Sowon needs to rest. Would you please come back some other time?" Yerin requested.

"I will. And Sowon, I will pay for your medical expenses." Mrs Jung said.

"Mrs Jung, thanks but I can still afford to pay for myself. Please leave." said Sowon, which Mrs Jung simply nodded to and left the room.

"Yerin, bring me to Eunha please?" Sowon asked.

"Not now, you are a patient too." Yerin replied.

"But I'm fine now, I just want to go and see Eunha." Sowon insisted.

"Can both of you go back to the lounge? I think there will be people who wants to practise for tomorrow's match." Yerin said to both Nayoung and Namjoo, ignoring Sowon's words.

"Are you going to bring me to Eunha?" Sowon asked after Nayoung and Namjoo left. But still, Yerin continues to ignore her.

"Fine, I am going to find out her room myself!" said Sowon, as she struggled to get off the bed.

"Sowon-ah! Where do you think you are going!" said Jeongyeon as she came into the room with a tray of items.

"Jeongyeon, you are finally here. Take care of her, I am going out to get some drink." Yerin said and left the room.

"How is Eunha?" Sowon asked.

"Get back to the bed first." Jeongyeon instructed.

"So can you tell me now?" Sowon asked after she went back to her bed.

"If she was not found in time, most probably she will die due to blood loss. She's okay now and should be awake already. But..." Jeongyeon said.

"But what?" Sowon asked, looking even more worried.

"You know, there are patients who refused to wake up after a huge blow so that they could escape from facing the reality." Jeongyeon replied.

"What does that mean?" Sowon asked.

"It means she'll only wake up when she wants to. Usually, that depends on the people around her." said Jeongyeon as she applies medicine on Sowon's wound.

"Then can I go see her later?" Sowon asked.

"Hmm... Sowon, is that Eunha your girlfriend?" Jeongyeon asked and Sowon nodded.

"I see... someone is finally in a serious relationship." said Jeongyeon.

"She's a nice girl. I will introduce her to you when there is a chance." said Sowon, smiling to herself.

"Yes, I want to teach her how to control you. You better take good care of yourself first and her room number is 201." Jeongyeon replied with a laugh and left the room.

"I wonder are you going to be fine..." Sowon said to herself as she took out her half-heart pendant.

----------

Just as Mrs Jung was about to get into her car, she saw someone walking towards her and the person said, "Haven't seen you in a long while."

"Who are you?" Mrs Jung asked.

"Oh, I forgot. How can you recognize me when I have a different face now?" Mr Kim replied.

"Do I know you?" Mrs Jung asked again.

"Let's just put it this way. I am Eunha's father." said Mr Kim.

"You... are... not dead?" Mrs Jung asked as she pointed at Mr Kim with her trembling finger.

"Disappointed?" Mr Kim asked, moving nearer to Mrs Jung.

"I'm more than happy to know that my old friend is still alive." said Mrs Jung.

"Drop your act. Do you think this is the first day I know you?" Mr Kim replied.

"Does Eunha or Sowon know that you are still alive?" Mrs Jung asked.

"No one knows anything yet. And... I want to have a deal with you." said Mr Kim.

"What kind of deal?" Mrs Jung questioned.

"I know that you want the 40% shares. You can have it since I've yet to claim them." Mr Kim lied, knowing that Mrs Jung will definitely fall for his trap. And he continued, "In exchange, I want Eunha back and you have to break her and Sowon up."

"Okay, deal." said Mrs Jung who can't wait to get rid of Eunha.

"Till then." Mr Kim said and went back to his delivery van.

"Once they broke up, it simply means that your time is up too. The way you kill my wife will be the way how Sowon is going to kill you in the end." Mr Kim said to himself as he drove off.

----------

"Have some hot chocolate." said Sowon as she placed the cup on the nurse counter.

"Someone is trying to bribe me with a cup of hot chocolate." said Jeongyeon.

"All because of Yerin! She stayed with me till the visitor hours are over and I can't even visit Eunha now." Sowon replied.

"Let's go somewhere else to chat first. The doctors are still doing their rounds." Jeongyeon said with a smile.

----------

"To think of it, we've known each other for such a long time. Ever since I started receiving treatment here." said Sowon as she sat down on the bench.

"Yeah, we are almost like childhood mates, except that we only see each other in the hospital." Jeongyeon replied.

"I remembered that during one of the Valentine's day, you were my date!" Sowon said and laughed.

"And that was one of the rare times when you have no one to go out with." Jeongyeon recalled.

"But that night were you joking when you mentioned that you like me?" Sowon asked but before Jeongyeon could reply, Sowon continued with her words, "Let's not talk about this. Anyway, I already have a wonderful girlfriend."

"Yeah, she is one lucky girl..." Jeongyeon mumbled.

"Do you think we can go up to Eunha's room now?" Sowon asked.

Looking at her watch, Jeongyeon replied, "Should be able to, you owe me one."

----------

"Unnie, I have a favor to ask from you." said Eunha's aunt.

"What is it?" Mrs Jung asked.

"I sort of burnt my fingers in the midst of investment." Eunha's aunt replied.

"Go and think of a way yourself. Don't bother me with such small stuffs, my useless husband already asked for a divorce and I have to meet up with the lawyer. If there is nothing else, please leave my office." Mrs Jung said in a rather frustrated tone.

----------

"How was it?" Mr Yook asked the moment Eunha's aunt came out of the office.

"What do you think? The selfish woman." Eunha's aunt replied.

"I knew she wouldn't help us. The bank is rushing us for money already!" said Mr Yook, looking very desperate.

"Am I the next-of-kin if unnie is divorced?" Eunha's aunt asked.

"Yes, that's provided if she severe ties with Eunha and Sowon is not her daughter under the law." Mr Yook replied.

"Since being nice to her doesn't help. We will have to do the same old thing again." said Eunha's aunt."Kill your unnie?" Mr Yook asked.

"And to make sure Sowon doesn't step into this family." Eunha's aunt replied with those evil thoughts running through her mind.

----------

"Be sure to lower down your volume okay." Jeongyeon reminded Sowon the last time before she left Eunha's room.

"Okay, thanks..." Sowon replied as she quietly pulled a chair to sit beside Eunha's bed. Looking at Eunha who is still sleeping, Sowon gently picked up the latter's hand and holding it near to her.

"My princess, still sleeping?"

"I'm so stupid, you ought to be sleeping at this time."

"Do you know why am I in this hospital too? Cause' you are so forgetful, leaving my heart in the toilet and it's so smelly that I fainted."

"So when you wake up, collect the pendant from me okay?"

"Eunha, do you know what's the happiest thing in my life?"

"I may sound a little cheesy but having you as my girlfriend is the happiest thing to have happened."

"Oh by the way, this hospital serves good breakfast! You better wake up tomorrow or else I will finish your portion too!"

"Just now I was talking with Yerin about settling down. And the first person that comes to mind is you. You know... wouldn't it be nice if you move in to my house?"

"I wonder if you're listening to me or still in your dreamland..."

"Eunha, I... don't want to revenge anymore. I just want us... to be together... do you hear that?"

"It's your school holidays. You're not supposed to sleep through it... I want to bring you out for a holiday trip. Just the two of us..." Not being able to control her tears anymore, Sowon started to cry out softly.

"How can you sleep so soundly without your teddy bear?"

"For your sake, I can stop playing snooker. Will you please wake up? I miss you…"

Seeing that Eunha still doesn't respond, Sowon laid her head on the bed, hoping to see Eunha awake in the morning.  And when Sowon slowly drifted to sleep, a teardrop flow down the corner of Eunha's eye.

---------

 

authors note: ugh school is killing me alive seriously. i want to finish this fic before i become so very busy at school D: anyway, enjoy this chapter! Though its a sad one xD gotta catch some sleep now~ please do comment if you can! i need motivation from all of you~