Ch. 1

Raising Baby Panda

Kris took a deep breath and let it out slowly. The rain had picked up and was now pounding the pavement with an endless shower of water. He was safely sheltered in the hotel lobby while waiting for his car to come pick him up. He was ready to head hone after a long meeting and wanted nothing more then to change out of his stiff suit. He waited another 20 minutes before becoming frusterated. Picking up his briefcase he went to the front desk.

"Excuse me. I called for a car over a 1/2 hour ago. When do you think it will arrive?" Kris asked giving the lady a stern look.

She blushed and stumbled around her desk. "Ah I'm so sorry sir. Let me look for you."

After a couple seconds she looked up with a guilty face. "I'm very sorry sir, but it doesn't look like there are any cars available at the moment. Would you like to book a room for the night?"

"No. Thank you for your help." Kris said irritated and swiftly his heel. Staring at the rain he sighed.

'Home.. or hotel.. home... or hotel...' he thought to himself. Finally the desire to be home won and he took a large step out of the door before running off into the rain.

After a couple minutes of running he decided that he was going to get wet either way. He slowed down to a quick walk as he felt the rain soaking him to the bone. His apartment was only a few blocks away, but he decided to take a short-cut through an alley. The alley was full of fowl smells and Kris found himself holding his nose. The rain still hadn't died down but it was slightly stopped by the high walls that lined the alleyway. Kris was almost 1/2 way through the alley when he stopped. He swore he heard something over the sound of the rain. Standing still he listened carefully. When nothing but silence greeted him he shrugged his shoulders and continued on his way.

Stopping a second time he listened more carefully. He was now positive that there was something making noise in the alley. It sounded like a wounded cat or a whimpering dog. He traced the sound to a pile of trash. Setting his briefcase on the ground he began to dig through the trash. His eyes widened when a head of black hair became visible. Pushing the last of the trash away, Kris found himself staring at a young child no older than 7. He was curled into a ball and was crying.

"Hey. Are you ok? What's wrong? Are you hurt?" Kris asked the young boy softly.

The child slowly looked up at Kris with glossy eyes. Kris felt his brows furrow. He took of his jacket and wrapped it around the small frame of the young boy. He was thin and pale with eyes that were rimmed with dark circles and redness from crying. When the child only coughed in reponse to Kris's questions he decided that there was no way he was going to leave a sick defenseless child out in the rain. Bending over he gently picked up the child. To his relief the boy wrapped his arms around Kris's neck and buried his face into the crook of his neck Quickly grabbing his briefcase, Kris sped off to his apartment.

Flipping on the lights he immediately got to work. He put his briefcase on the island and promptly headed to the bathroom. He drew a warm bath before turning to the young boy who was resting against the bathroom wall with half-lidded eyes. He slowly peeled the soaked clothes from the young boys thin body. He frowned when he noticed the bruises and scars that covered the child's back and chest. Kris's stomach churned and he wondered who could do that to such a young child. Gently picking the boy up he placed him into the warm water and began to gently wash his body. The boy just sat silently and let Kris do his work. When he was done Kris once again picked him up and placed him on the floor. Finding a large fluffy towel he began to pat him dry before scooping him up in his arms and carrying him to his bedroom. Setting on his bed, Kris began to dig through his closet. Realizing that he had no clothes to fit the child he settled on a large t-shirt that reached the boys ankles. When Kris was satisfied with his work he turned to go take a shower of his own. He stopped with he felt a small hand tugging at the end of his shirt. He turned to find the child tearing up.

"What's wrong?! Why are you crying?!" Kris asked worriedly as he turned around and bent down to look the child in the eyes.

"Don't go...." the boy whispered so softly Kris almost didn't hear him.

"Ah. Well Gege needs to shower too. Would you like to come with me?" Kris said gently as he gave the boy a soft smile.

The boy nodded and Kris picked him up along with a thick blanket and brought him to the bathroom.

"Before I get into the shower can you tell me your name?" Kris asked as he ed his shirt.

"Tao." was the short reply.

"It's nice to meet you Tao." Kris said with a smile as he bent down and took the small boy's tiny hand in his own. The boy looked up from underneath his dark finge and gave Kris a small smile.

"There we go! Finally a smile. Gege likes it when Tao smiles." Kris said as he ruffled Tao's hair. "Why don't you try to sleep for a bit." Tao gently settled into the blanket and felt his eyes closing as Kris pulled the warm covers over his shoulders. He was asleep before Kris even got itno the the shower.

~.~

Kris stepped out of the shower into the steaming room. He felt refreshed and clean. Wrapping a towel around his waist he looked down to find Tao wrapped in the blanket fast asleep. He smiled to himself before carefully picking the boy up and carrying him to his bedroom. Tucking the still sleeping boy into his bed Kris slipped on a white t-shirt and a pair of sweatpants before setting his laptop up on his desk. He searched missing children but found no one who fit Tao's profile. After an hour or so he gave up and slid into the bed next to Tao. He glanced over and saw the boy shivering despite the thick blankets and pulled him into his chest. Tao gripped Kris's t-shirt firmly and snuggled in closer. Kris smiled to himseff before falling asleep.