Ch. 13

Raising Baby Panda

****GUYS THIS STORY HAS REACHED 100 SUBSCRIBERS I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH MYSELF THANK YOU SO MUCH!*****

 

Tao awoke and rubbed his eyes. His neck was a little stiff but after a few cracks it was good. Sitting up he was confused when he didn’t recognize the scenery, but then remembered that he was staying at Kris’s. Speaking of Kris… where was he? Glancing around, he saw only an empty house. As he was lying down to go back to sleep a groan startled him and he jumped up. Looking down he saw Kris sprawled out underneath him still asleep. Blushing, he realized that he fell asleep on Kris while watching TV. Slowly, but carefully he tried to ease himself up without waking Kris.

Unfortunately that didn’t happen and Kris cracked an eye to see Tao trying to sneak off.

“Don’t you know it’s rude to leave after you sleep with someone without saying good morning?”

Tao looked away awkwardly unsure how to answer. Kris sat up and checked his watch. His eyes widened and he shot off the couch muttering cuss words to himself. Tao sat on the end of the couch confused. A few minute late Kris returned still putting on his suit as he raced to the door and stuffed his feet into a pair of shoes.

“Sorry to race off like this, but I overslept and need to get into work. You’ll be alright on your own right? I left my cell number of the kitchen counter and there should be plenty of food. If you need anything there’s a credit card and cash also on the counter. I’ll be home late so eat some dinner.”

With that Kris disappeared out of the door and Tao was left alone.

The first hour went by agonizingly slow and Tao could only entertain himself with the TV for long. He had to admit that he was disappointed how quickly Kris had rushed off to work. Chanyeol had always told him that Kris was a workaholic, but he had never experienced it first hand.

Curling up on the couch he stared at the white wall. The house was familiar to him and he remembered sitting on the couch with Kris as a child. Sitting up he realized that Kris hadn’t put him in the same guest room. Looking down the hallway he saw Kris’s door tightly shut on the opposite side of the hallway and at the end there was a another door. Tao slid off the couch and walked toward the door. Reaching down he tried to turn the handle, but found it locked. He was curious to what was behind the door. Even though he knew that he shouldn’t into Kris’s personal life, curiosity got the best of him.

He searched the house for a box where keys were kept, but came up empty handed. Next he looked on top of various pieces of furniture, but still found nothing. His eyes darted to Kris’s room and he bit his lip. Carefully and quietly he stepped down the hall. Luckily the door for Kris’s room wasn’t locked and it quietly swung open. Tao flipped on the lights and looked around the room. Like the house it was clean and simple. The closet was filled with suits and there were no pictures to be found. He pulled open the nightstand drawer and found a picture frame of Kris with a little boy. Taking it out, he stared down at it and squinted. It seemed old and the picture quality wasn’t very nice, but Kris was smiling and so was the little boy who looked very familiar. Tao squinted and wiped away some dust with his thumb.

Eyes widening Tao realized that the little boy was him.

“Kris… you kept this photo?”

 

Tao remembered the day the photo was taken. Kris had taken him shopping for more clothes and Tao had found his favorite outfit which he refused to take off. When they had gotten home Kris told him to take it off so he could bath and he threw a fit. They finally settled on taking a photo together so he could see himself in the clothes.

 

Tao never thought that Kris would actually keep the photo. As he kept digging he found the drawer filled with old photos. Some of Tao sleeping, others of him eating, playing at the park, drawing, and so on. Finally he found what he was looking for. An old key was hidden deep at the back and Tao held it in his hands.

Shutting the drawer again he stood in front of the locked door clutching the key. Shoving it into the lock he turned and waited for the click. The door opened and Tao took a breath before stepping inside. As soon as he entered he was filled with nostalgia. The room was just as he remembered it complete with old toys that he had placed around the room; it was virtually untouched. He ran his hand against the bed remembering how he had made Kris sleep with him for the first few nights of his stay.

Laying down the bed he inhaled. The bed smelled old and unused, but still homey. The scent lulled him to sleep and he awoke to the slam of the front door.

Jumping out of the bed he cracked the door and saw Kris sliding off his shoes. As carefully as he could he slipped out the door trying to close it as he left. The door however had other plans and refused to shut completely. Tao bit his lip as the crack taunted him, but didn’t have enough time to go back. Kris had already turned around and noticed the living room empty of Tao. He had felt bad about bailing so quickly so he returned early to make up for it. Figuring that Tao was in his room he went down the hall and knocked.

“Yes?”

“Tao, it’s Kris, sorry that I left so early this morning. I came back so we could have dinner together though. What would you like?”

As he was waiting for a response he glanced over at the door and noticed it slightly ajar.

“Tao… did you touch the door at the end of the hallway.”

No response.

“Tao?”

No response.

“I’m not mad or anything I just want to talk to you.”

Kris was about to walk away when the door creaked open and Tao’s timid face appeared.

“I’m sorry for invading your privacy Kris. I was just curious.”

“Its fine I guess although you really shouldn’t do that. The key was in my room too.”

Kris realized that to get to the key Tao had to dig through the drawer which meant he saw all of the pictures.

“Kris?”

“Yeah?”

“Can I ask you something?”

“Sure.”

“Why did you keep those photos? Why did you keep the room?”

Kris rubbed the bridge of his nose unsure how to explain his situation to Tao.

“Let’s go sit in the living room.” Kris turned and went to sit on the couch. Eventually Tao followed and sat at the opposite end of the couch staring at the floor.

“I don’t really know where to begin Tao. I don’t even know why I kept everything… guilt maybe?”

“You only kept everything because you felt bad?” Tao was hurt by the response.

“No it wasn’t guilt it was me being stubborn and refusing to let go of the past. You know I should have just let Chanyeol take you and then moved on with my life. But I was dumb and didn’t do that. I kept all of the memories so every time I came home, all of my wounds were re-opened.”

“Well I’m sorry for being such a large wound.” Tao snapped. He still wasn’t getting the response he wanted. He wanted Kris to tell him that he kept everything so that when Tao came back they could continue where they left off. He wanted him to tell him that they were precious memories that meant more than the world to him.

“Tao you weren’t a wound I didn’t mean it like that. I don’t really know how to explain myself.”

They sat silently for a few minutes as Kris tried to piece his mind together.

“You know Chanyeol told me that he took me because you were a bad parent.” Tao said quietly.

“I was. I still am. Look at you now, you’re never happy when you’re with me, there’s always something that I do wrong.”

“Even though I was young at the time I still remember hearing you say how you didn’t want me. I remember crying myself to sleep that night. I was broken because the person I needed the most in the world didn’t want me. All he cared about was his precious job. I was just a burden that was holding him back from his true potential.” Tao let all of the things he had wanted to say as a child flow from his lips as he re-opened all of his memories.

Kris turned and stared into Tao’s eyes, “Tao I needed you a lot more than you needed me. When you left I buried myself in my work so I could forget about the pain. Coming home every day to an empty house was hell. My job means nothing to me now! I could retire if I wanted, but going there gives me sanctuary and, now when I go there I see you. When you appeared before me again I didn’t know if it was fate, or god punishing me for my sins. You were so different from the little boy who clung to my leg like a panda.”

The corner of Tao’s lips twitched at the old nickname.

“You used to call me that.” Tao whispered.

“I can do it again if you’d like.”

“No it would be weird now. I’m almost an adult.”

“I see. You know when we met again I thought that maybe you didn’t recognize me, or that you didn’t know who I was.”

“How could I forget the man who saved me? Besides you’re not an easy face to forget.”

“What did Chanyeol tell you? By the way he should know that I’m still pissed he bailed on me.”

“He bailed on you?! You’re the one who left us for your precious job! Chanyeol told me that he took me because you were so concerned with work that we just got in your way. It’s not like that was hard to believe if it was a lie.”

“That is not what happened! I tried to do my best Tao! I went to work so I could afford to put you in a nice school with nice clothes and good toys! I only wanted to send you to a home that had a mom and dad that could give you the love and attention that you needed!” Kris’s mask was cracking.

“If you knew me at all as a child you would have known that I didn’t want a family, I just wanted you. I didn’t need nice clothes, a good school, or the latest toys to be happy, I just needed you.”

Kris bit his lip and until it drew blood before burying his head in his hands and letting out a sob. His cool composure that he had kept over the years shattered and now spilled down his cheeks in the form of tears. Tao was surprised; he had never seen Kris cry so he was unsure of what to do. Eventually he settled on rubbing soothing circles on the elder’s back.  

“Shh it’s ok Ge, I know it was hard and I’m sorry. It was hard for me too, but we found each other again right? Everything will be ok.”

Kris looked up at Tao and cupped his cheek with one hand, “I promise that I will never let you go again.”

Wrapping a hand around Tao’s neck he pulled him into his chest. As he felt the Kris’s chest rise and sink, tears welled up in Tao’s eyes. Although he was older and bigger he still felt safe encased in Kris’s arms.

“Promise.” He whispered as he held out a pinky to Kris.

Taking the pinky in his own he kissed it, “Promise.”

 

 

Oh my gosh I feel like this is such a terrible chapter! >.< I posted it so you guys would have something to read, but I'm seriously considering re-writing it, please let me know what you think! 

Even with this mess please subscribe, upvote and comment it would mean a lot to me :)