Ch. 2

Raising Baby Panda

Kris opened his eyes to a head of black hair bobbing in front of his face. He glanced down and saw Tao coughing harshly into his chest. Worried, Kris sat up and gently caressed Tao's cheek.

"There there," Kris cooed softly as he tried to calm the sick boy. "Just try to breath. You'll be ok." Kris figured that Tao would be sick. Afterall, sitting in a wet alley isn't exactly a heathly environment for a young child. When Tao finished coughing he lay weakly in the bed still clutching Krs's shirt.

"Can I make Tao some breakfast? You must be hungry right?" Kris asked Tao. Tao nodded his head and released his grip on Kris's shirt. Rolling out of bed, Kris started to head for the door only to be stopped when Tao shot out of bed with a cry. Kris spun around and was back at Tao's side in less than a secound. "Do you feel sick again?" Kris asked as Tao clutched onto his shirt again with a shaking fist. Tao shook his head no, but tears began to roll down his cheeks. "Tao can you please talk to Gege? How can Gege help Tao if he doesn't know what's wrong?" Tao reached up and rubbed his swollen eyes before answering. "Tao doesn't want Gege to leave him. Tao doesn't like being alone. Being alone is scary. The bad man will come and get Tao. Please Gege. Please don't let the bad man get Tao." The tears began to roll down his face again as he broke into small sobs. Kris's heart broke at the sight and he wrapped Tao into a large hug. "Don't worry Tao. Gege will always be there for Tao."

When Tao's cries died down Kris gave him a delicate smile. "So about breakfast. I was thinking pancakes. Have you ever had pancakes?" Kris asked. Tao shook his head no. "Alright then pancakes it is." Getting out of bed, Kris turned to face Tao. "Can Gege carry Tao?" Tao nodded softly and reached out towards Kris. Kris couldn't help but smile at the adorable sight. Tao really was cute. Wrapping the blanket around Tao Kris picked him up and walked out to the ktichen. Setting Tao down in one of the chairs and began to make breakfast. Tao just sat in silence as he watched Kris move around the kitchen. Before long there was a steaming hot plate of pancakes along with sausage and hashbrowns sitting on the table. Kris sat down next to Tao with a triumphant look on his face.

When Tao made no motion to begin eating Kris figured that he would need a little help. "Can Gege feed Tao?" Tao nodded. Gently cutting a small piece of pancake Kris held it out to Tao. Kris watched as the food disappeared between Tao's small delicate lips. They ate breakfast slowly and soon Kris glanced over at the clock to see it reading 9:00. "Oh !" Kris shouted as he jumped out of his seat and ran to his room. Grabbing his cell phone he called his secretary. "Hello? Yes this is Kris. I'm going to be coming in late today. Sorry something came up." he said before glancing over at a confused Tao. Tao just stared back at Kris with big innocent eyes.

Kris suddenly remembered how much Tao hated to be alone and wondered if it was alright for him to leave for the entire day. 'It won't kill me if I take one day off of work.' Kris thought to himself. "Sorry scratch that. I actually won't be making it into work today." Kris said before hanging up the phone.

"Hey Tao. How would you like to go get some clothes that actually fit you?" Kris asked Tao. When Tao just simply stared Kris took that as a yes. "Ok well Gege is going to quick go get dressed and then we can go." Tao gently pushed himself out of the seat and toddled after Kris. Kris cooed inwardly as he watched Tao follow after him like a little duckling. Changing into a clean t-shirt and a pair of jeans, Kris grabbed his jacket and another for Tao before briskly walking back out to the living room. He had just finished lacing his shoes when Tao finally caught up. Kris motioned for Tao to come to him before he pulled the enormous jacket over Tao's small frame. Kris clicked his tongue in disapprovement before stand up with Tao in his arms. 'Good thing we're getting Tao new clothes today.' Kris thought to himself. Walking out the door the called for a cab and instructed the drive to take them to the shopping strip in Gangnam.

The drive was short and they soon found themselves in a childrens clothing shop surrounded by cooing women.

"How old is he?"

"Is he your son?"

"Where's his mom?"

Kris clutched Tao tightly in his arms as the saleswomen crowded around them. Tao's eyes were wide as he held a fistful of Kris's shirt. Finally the ladies were forced to go back to work and Kris was able to shop in peace. He ended up buying more than 20 shirts, 14 pants, 4 jackets, and 10 shoes for Tao. Tao seemed to favor the Gucci brand ( Go figure ). Walking out with Tao in one arm and a bag of clothes and a large bill in the other Kris decided it was time for ice cream.