Ch. 6

Raising Baby Panda

"You know Tao we should really get you enrolled in school." Kris said as he set a plate of french toast down in front of Tao. Tao dug into the food immediately.

"What's school?" he asked.

"Well it's a place that children go to learn things. There's a teacher and a playground. I think you'll really like it." Kris answered as he sat down across from Tao and began to eat his breakfast.

"Does Gege go to school too?"

Kris didn't answer at first, worried at what Tao's reaction would be. "Well... No. Gege doesn't go to school he goes to work."

Tao stopped eating and stared up at Kris from across the table. "Tao will go to work with Gege then."

Kris sighed and ran his fingers through his hair. "Tao. I can't take you to work with me."

Tao didn't respond and just stared down at his fingers. Kris stood up and walked around the table to kneel next to Tao.

"Listen Tao. I know that you don't want to leave Gege, but school and work are important."

Tao slowly looked over to Kris. "But Gege. I don't want to be alone."

"You won't be alone. There are lots of other kids that go to school. There are also teachers and staff members that will keep you safe. I promise that nothing bad will happen to you. Don't you trust Gege."

Tao nodded softly. "That's my big panda." Kris said with a smile as he ruffled Tao's hair. Tao responded with a small smile and resumed eating his breakfast.

~.~.~.~.~

"Yah Chanyeol! You pabo I am not sending Tao to this school!" Kris yelled as he hit Chanyeol in the back of the head.

"Hey it's not that bad!" Chanyeol said as he rubbed the back of his head.

"There's a barbwire fence and guard dogs!"

"At least we know it's safe!"

"Chanyeol. No."

"Fine. Picky." Chanyeol muttered under his breath before he drove away.

Kris stared out the window. Why was finding a school for Tao so difficult for him? Was he really that picky? Suddenly a large building caught his eye. "Hey Chanyeol pull over here."

As soon as the car was stopped Kris got out.

"Holy crap! What is this place? It looks like a castle."

"SM "Prepatory school" Kris read aloud.

"This is a school?! It looks like it costs more to go here then it does for me to live for a year. Wait, you're not thinking what I think you're thinking are you?"

Kris didn't respond he just kept staring up at the large building.

"Kris. Do you really think Tao wants to go to a school like this?"

"It's perfect. Let's go inside."

Kris and Chanyeol were given a tour of the large school. It contained gold tile floors and chandeliers. They were shown everything from the large classroons to the computer labs and dining facilities. Kris even liked the uniforms. When they were done they went back to the car.

"This is where Tao is going to go." Kris stated. Chanyeol just shook his head and drove them home.

~.~.~.~.~

As soon at Kris opened th door he was attacked by a little panda.

"Gege! I missed you!" Tao said as he hugged Kris's leg.

Kris smiled and bent down to pick Tao up and throw him over his shoulder. "Gege missed his baby panda."

Chanyeol just shut the door and smiled at the pair. He was pleased to see Kris so happy. He remembered when Kris would spend every hour of everyday working and rarely ever talked to anyone outside of work. Although Kris had taken some days off of work, Chanyeol knew that soon Tao and Kris would soon have to part.

"Hey Kris tell Tao about the school you found for him." Chanyeol said as he plopped down on the couch.

"Right. Tao I found the perfect school for you. The people are really, the building is beautiful, and the uniforms are cute." Kris looked down at Tao to find the smile had disappeared from his face.

"Now Tao, I know you don't want to go, but please I promise that it will be for the best. Trust Gege."

Tao just nodded and played with the strings on his hoodie.

"Alright. Well you''ll start tomorrow. Ok?"

Tao snapped his head up. "Tomorrow?"

"I know it's soon, but there's no point in putting it off."

Chanyeol could sense the tension in the air. "Well it's getting late I should head home. Tao good luck at school tomorrow and Kris I'll see you in the office?"

"Yeah. We're still on for the project right?"

"Sure thing. Night."

After Kris shut the door he turned his attention back to Tao. Walking into living room he found it vacant of Tao. His next guess was the bedroom and when he opened the door to walk in he found Tao curled up on the bed with the stuffed panda Kris had gotten as a small gift.

"Tao." Kris said softly as he sat down next to Tao and began to gently rub his back. "Tao look at me." Tao was hesitant at first, but reluctantly rolled over. His eyes were puffy and red from crying and he was still sniffling. "Oh Tao baby." Kris breathed. "I'm sorry. I know that this is hard for you, I really do. Please forgive me."

Tao sat up and rubbed his eyes. "Gege. Tao isn't mad at you. I promise. Just scared."

Kris smiled and gently pulled Tao into his chest. Tao nuzzled into him and clutched his shirt.

"It's only for a few hours. I promise that I'll see you off to school and I'll pick you up as soon as the bell rings."

Tao just nodded. "Let's get you ready for bed alright?" Tao again just nodded.

 

Thank you for reading! Please comment, upvote, and subscribe!