Chapter 3

Can you keep a secret?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When I reached the dorm, I saw Alfred and Laura sitting on the couch discussing about something and when I entered, they immediately stood up and looked at me worriedly. I let out a huge sigh and sat down beside them, staring into space. 

They seemed to know something big happened because they just sat beside me and waited for me to speak without asking any questions, with Alfred patting my back and Laura went to the kitchen to get a glass of milk for me. 

After I recollected my thoughts, I finally decided to tell them what happened. I re-enacted the whole story to the both of them and I could tell they thought it was a ridiculous idea because they didn't say anything except hanging their mouths open the entire time I talked. 

"And I thought this only happened in dramas..." Alfred broke the silence after I finished saying my story.
"Wait a minute... You're not staying for summer?! I thought we made plans!" Laura shrieked and widened her eyes.
"I know... I tried to ask the manager about it but he insisted I have to go back to Korea to prepare for the debut stage. I really want to stay too..." I looked down at the carpet dejectedly.
"What the hell is your brother thinking? Just to fulfill his dream, he puts his sister, a fully matured girl in a dorm full of boys? Jill, you aren't selfish at all if you reject it, because I would've rejected it if I was you." Laura reasoned.
"I know, but what can I do? This is the first time in 18 years I've seen my brother so vulnerable in front of me, how could I leave him in the lurch when I can help?" I said softly.
"What about school? You're leaving Cali for good?" Alfred asked.
"I thought of attending one of the arts college in Korea, you know, like debut and study at the same time?" I explained.
"It's gonna be tough for you Jill... I really can't imagine disguising as a guy, it sounds too surreal and scary for me." Laura shuddered and shook her head. 


"So, we won't be seeing you for awhile?" Alfred asked the big question.
Honestly, if I was asked there was anything left to miss about California, it would definitely be Alfred and Laura. They stuck through with me for the entire school year and we had tons of memories that are worth keeping for the rest of our lives. I really couldn't imagine being in Korea without the two of them, it'd be so weird.

They both anticipated my reply to be no and I just subtly nodded my head, indicating a yes. I could see them sink into the couch and I sighed again.
"Well, I could visit some time? Or you guys can come back to Korea for a visit?" I asked, hoping to cheer them up. 
"Promise we'll try to skype and call as often, okay? We'll definitely visit so you better watch your back!" Laura said as tears were glistening in her eyes and she let out a faint smile.
"Don't forget about us when you have new friends, I won't forgive you if you ever replace us." Alfred said jokingly and I let out a small chuckle. 
"C'mon, don't act like we'll never see each other again! We have one more week left, so let's make the best out of it!" I said encouragingly and let out my signature smile, making both of them chuckle as well. 

--

Time seemed to pass faster when you actually dread the arrival of something you didn't want to happen. The entire week before my departure, Alfred, Laura and I pushed forward our summer plans and headed to all the places we initially planned for summer. We conquered Disneyland during the weekends and soaked up the sun at the beach on days when we ended classes early. 

Finally, the day of departure arrived. Alfred and Laura both sent me to the airpot and handed me with gifts that they secretly bought and I didn't even realized. 
"This bracelet signifies our friendship so don't ever take it off, okay? Don't forget us even when you're rich and famous!" Laura said as tears fell from her eyes and that made me cry as well. 
"We'll visit you in Korea when we're free, and if anyone touches my baby girl, I'm going back to Korea to make sure he never sees the sunrise again!" Alfred said as he pulled me into a tight bear hug while I chuckled as tears fell down my face.

After the tearful and saddening goodbyes, I entered the departure gate with my brother and the manager. It turned out that my brother stll had to go back to Korea with us to meet the CEO before he could actually recuperate in California. 

--

After approximately 12 hours, we finally landed in Korea. It has been almost a year since I've stepped into Korea and it seems like nothing had changed at all. As we cruised down the streets, I could still recognize the landmarks and certain places I had visited back when I was still in high school. 

We arrived in the carpark of a high rised building which had a huge star on the outside reading 'SMTOWN'. We headed to the7th floor and the manager knocked respectf

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter