Chapter X: Enough

Dance Of The Shadows
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

 

"I'm sorry that I'm late, Yong. I really—"
"Gwenchana."
"You're angry."
"I'm not."

 

She took a glance for a while before move her face and staring straight while walking slowly, pushing the shopping cart to move forward. I followed her step, still felt guilty that for the nth time, I came late to my appoinment. After almost a week we couldn't meet because of my busy schedule, I asked Yongsun to let me accompany her for her monthly shopping at a supermarket near her apartment. At first I was actually quite reluctant myself, especially because for me, offline shopping sessions have become one of my own moments. One of few quality time I have, and I think that goes for her too. However, I didn't have much of a choice. I missed her, and I had to take that time from her. With no shame I admitted my selfishness.

 

"Yongsunie."
"Yah."

 

She stopped. We stopped. I was so ready for all the possibilities that might happen, but instead I was taken aback when her face got closer and the fresh mint scent of her breath brushed my face gently. It felt so close, yet so far. Her left hand reached for my cheek, cupping it and it gently. I smiled as she gently pinched my cheek.

 

"It's fine, Whee."
"Really?"
"Yeah."
"So have you finished everything during your time waiting for me?"
"For almost 60 minutes? Almost."
"I'm sorry."
"I said almost. So, you still have to accompany me."
"Gladly to."

 

I took over the trolley from her and walked slowly while holding back my wide smile. I feel incredibly nervous. Glancing right and left, I felt grateful for the fact that the supermarket wasn't crowded that night. It was the week before payday, and considering most people tend to spend their time going to a bar, or restaurants on a Friday night, the condition made sense.

 

"What's left to buy?"
"The most important one."
"Which is?"
"There."

 

Yongsun pointed to the corridor full of sweets. My mind was blank but I followed her.

 

"Candy?"
"Yes." She giggled.
"And that's the most important one?"
"It is!" She laughed sweetly. "Candy always makes me feel better."
"Really?"
"Yeah. Like you."

 

I gulped that she stared at me, holding her laugh. That was probably a sour kind of joke but I didn't really care. I took it, and that was one of the sweetest to me. She failed it. She laughed the hardest and I was left enjoying it. I missed her and the fact words couldn't really accommodate how I felt at the moment.

 

"Ew. That was lame."
"Was it?"
"It was. Duh."
"Thanks for trying though."
"Thanks for your appreciation, Jung."
"Most welcome, Kim."
"What's your favorite sweet?"
"Now? Probably chocolate."
"Which one?"
"Anything with nuts."
"Why?"
"Because I'm so nuts about you right now."

 

I received a big pinch in my stomach area that I couldn't avoid. While chuckling, I tried to hold back Yongsun's hand that was trying to 'attack' me with some quick movements. Her face was so red, and while taking deep breaths, she tried to divert attention while her hands were sorting out some packaged chocolates that were arranged on the shelf in front of us. A young woman crossed us in the corridor with earphones plugging her ears, and when she disappeared from our sight, Yongsun looked back at me with a gentle and happy smile that he no longer tried to hide. Me too, too tired to cover it.

 

"Really, Jung Wheein."
"Slightly better, wasn't it?"
"Okay. You won."
"What will I get for the prize?"
"It depends."

 

We stared at each other blankly and I felt like we were standing in a different dimension at the moment. I didn't want to blink, not even a little. I didn't want to spend even a second not staring at her. Nobody ever said that falling in love feels like heaven like that. . I would trade anything just to fall in love with her all over again.

 

"If I said I want something sweet, what will you get me?"

 

Yongsun moved her face and swiftly landed her lips on mine. It was a perfect one. The soft press on my lips, the sweet and alluring scent of her warm breath and the softness of her palm touching for my cheek. I spent months thinking about it—worried about it, how would it be a perfect one? But then it was, and thanks to her. For God sake, it was a perfect first kiss, and I didn't even care if somebody saw us kissing. Nothing else matters.

 

"Was it?"
"Too sweet. I can't function now."
"Too sweet for you? It's not good then."
"I'm willing to take a risk."
"Wheein, shut up."

 

She laughed and when I thought things couldn't get any sweeter, she gave another peck when I pulled her to my embrace.

 

 


 

"Whee. For God sake."

 

I came back to the reality. A hurting one. I glanced at Hyejin who stared at me, with hands on her waist.

 

"I'm sorry, Jin-ah. My mind twisted."
"Surely do. You weren't here at all. Physically yes, but."

 

She handed me a bowl of instant noodle she cooked herself. She frowned.

 

"Eat something. Look at you."
"I'm doing good."
"No. You're not." Hyejin rolled her eyes. "Oh, God."
"I'm sorry."
"No. Shut up. You don't have to." She sighed. "It has been a week since the last time you both speak to each other—since she ignored you, and whatever the way you tried to contact her. I know it's hard for you, but don't get sick. Please don't torture yourself like this, Whee."
"Thanks, Hyejinie. Thank you for being here tonight with me."

 

Hyejin stood up and reached for me. She hugged me from the position and that was the best thing I got in the past a week. That week, Hyejin was actually so busy with her work that I didn't e

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter