Chapter VIII: All The Things She Said

Dance Of The Shadows
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

"No. Where are you going? I still want to hug you."

 

Clingy wasn't really listed in her personalities, but I didn't mind she acted that way. I chuckled softly at her who was whining. Her lips pursed, her hand holding my arm and her was body slowly squirming, trying to tease me to stay. My face pushed forward to meet her grinning face and kissed her lips deeply. Her hands confidently gripped my light blue pajama collar again, teasing me with that flawlessness that made me unable to think of anything while giggling.

 

"I can't hold it anymore, Yong. I need to go to the bathroom."
"Now?"
"Now."
"Okay. I'll give you five minutes to come back."
"But—"
"Top."
"Really?"
"Of course not." She moved herself and sat down to face me. "I'm kidding. Go to the bathroom now. I'll prepare a brunch for us. I can hear your stomach's screaming there." She went for a deep peck, and it was the sweetest one. I wouldn't let go. "Good morning, my love."
"Good morning, love."

 

While in the bathroom, I briefly thought about some of my office projects, and also about how I couldn't help but think about them all. I've had a hard few weeks lately, and I was in the midst of my need for her, Yongsun, my girlfriend, and also at a break, a private realm where I could literally drown myself, even without the slightest water. Yongsun slowly stopped making Yongmi the topic of our conversation—the center of her attention at that time, and slowly gave me a large portion of attention like she always gave me before.

I washed my hands in the sink while looking at my own face from the reflection of the glass in front of me and again thinking about how heavy Yongsun's thoughts were at that time, and whether I should add to it my complaints at the office. Probably not? The next w she would be welcoming her parents—a thing that made her secretly feel unbelievably nervous, even though I could clearly tell the openness from her beautiful eyes. Yongsun came to my apartment on a Friday night and decided to stay over, where we spent some time making love—which was intense, where everything seemed to slow down like time stopped, and I was enjoying every second that passed.

I buried my face in her neck, kissing it deeply while inhaling her signature scent. My hands tied her body and from behind, I stared at some of the ingredients she had prepared on the counter with a big smile on my face.

 

"Unnie." I whispered softly.
"Really?"
"Ramyeon meokgo gallae?"
"We had for hours and I need a big source energy if you want another rounds." I held my laugh. She didn't even look at me. "But what you ask it's a literal thing, then yes. We're going to eat ramyeon for brunch. I can't think of anything simpler than this. Now sit."
"That's so unnie of you, baby."

 

I decided to go away and sit on the couch turning on the television. While Yongsun was busy preparing instant noodles for the both of us, my eyes were busy on a news channel which was actually a bad idea. I returned for a moment lost in my thoughts of the chaos that was going on in the office. I couldn't seem to stop my mind, and I hated it.

 

"Whee." Her soft voice called me. I turned to face her. "It's Saturday. Should we find something light to watch? Something like a rom-com, or—" She focused on her cooking for a while before continued. "Should we watch '10 Things I Hate About You' like we planned?"

 

I was still unmoved. My mind was scattered. It felt like I was really exhausted, to the point that I even founf it difficult to express everything I felt at the moment. I felt so lucky to have her, though even without a word spoken, she would understand so smoothly, so maturely, and even she seemed to open the door for the peace of my soul. In that second, I realized that loving her was an understatement. I need her, and as selfish as it sounds, I want her only for me.

 

"Hey."

Her soft hands reached my hair. I lifted up my chin to look at her.

"Stop it. Whatever you're thinking right now."
"I'm sorry, Yong. It bothers me a lot too."
"It's fine. You had tough weeks." She my hair softly. "I just don't want you to drag yourself down, Whee. Should you take a casual leave for several days to calm your mind? Should I plan a little vacation for you? For us?" Her smile is my favorite thing in the world and to picture it and keep it in mind is a blessing.
"A vacation?"
"When was the last time you did it?"
"I don't remember, Yong. I always work."
"It's burning, inside you." She pinched my nose lightly. "Let's go somewhere together?"

 

Yongsun pulled my body and hugged me tightly. I groaned releasing the tiredness inside of me. She was right. I focused so much of my time on my work that I even forgot about myself, forgot what was essential for me, which was my sanity. I thought about a few possible places for us to visit, and I also thought about our one year anniversary. I felt warm. I felt a lot better, even just imagining it. Yongsun always makes me feel better, and meeting her in my life feels too magical sometimes.

 

"I'll plan."
"I'll arrange. You take your time to finish your works so you can block your calendar."
"Are you thinking about Europe trip?"
"Are you?" She chuckled. "Anywhere, with you. And not the US."

 

I felt a conflict inside me at the last sentence, and I thought Yongsun could feel it. Vacation to the country where Yongsun grew up and spent half of her life there was not a good travel option for her, but on the other hand, I felt that going to the US was also related to a sign of sincerity, to earn that blessing to our relationship. I shook off my disturbing thoughts again. We'd only been dating for almost a year—even though it felt like forever, and that's how long I wanted her for me. I didn't need to know all the people closest to her in her life yet, not in quite the predicament we were in.

A few seconds later, my mind shifted again: Yongsun's parents coming to Seoul the following week. I had been busy in the last few days and that clearly made me neglect to check her mental state, to check how ready she actually was for the meeting that had many question marks. So did I. Is it true that the arrival is purely only for Yongmi? If so, why is Yongsun so anxiously awaiting that day?

 

"Is everything okay, Yong? And will you be okay?"
"About my parents?"
"Yeah. You seemed anxious."
"Am I?" She stared at me intently. "Maybe I'm just wondering a lot. I have some of problems too at office."
"Do you want to—"
"No. It's fine, Whee." She caressed my cheek. "It's alright."

 

Yongsun leaned her head on my shoulder. She inhaled my scent and exhaled while slowly returning her arms to close the distance between us. The noisy thoughts in my head were shattered when a kiss landed on my neck, and when I looked down, she smiled broadly before pulling my head so her lips could land smoothly on mine.

 

"I just need you close. That's all."
"I'm always here, Yong."
"I know. That's why I told you it'll be fine."

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter