Chapter VII: Memory Lane

Dance Of The Shadows
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

"Manager-nim, a meeting to discuss on the digital optimization will require you to check on the doc I sent on the link."
"Team B's productivity is somehow slowing down a lot after two people resigned from the team. Do you have any other strategy while waiting for the new hiring?"
"Found some error on some important articles, can you please check with each team lead and warn them on this?"
"Wheein unnie, how do we deal with this issue?"
"Wheein-ssi, should we just stick with the original strategy or do you need any adjustment?"

This... That...

 

 

"Wheein!" Somebody slapped my shoulder strongly. I glanced. Hyejin was standing in front of me, at my office. "Seriously, Jung Wheein? Did you even listen? Geez. Look at you." I couldn't budge. My head was too busy recalling every question within the whole week, making me wonder if I ever capable enough to be at the position, or my mind was too tired with everything. It had been a week since Yongsun rejected my call, and since then, my life felt like a hell. A terrible one.

 

"Whee."
"Yes. I'm sorry, Jin-ah." I shook my head. "I have so many things in mind."
"I understand. I texted you earlier, but you didn't reply. So I came here."
"Having some free time at office?" I laughed a little awkward.
"Everyone is having a free time right now, Jung Wheein-ssi. It's 10 pm, for God sake."
"What? 10 pm? Already?"
"Hell yeah. And the fact it's Friday."

 

I had been forgetting a lot of things lately. I couldn't remember what day it was, or what time it was, or even if I had eaten that day. My mind was crammed with many problems in the office, but how Yongsun kept rejecting me for a whole week became the root of all the chaos in my mind. How I think of her consumed me a lot.

 

"She's still rejecting you?"
"Yeah."
"What a stonehead."
"She has the right to do so."
"And you have the right to explain."
"Maybe she just needs a little more time."
"Hope it wont take long though." She threw a sharp gaze. "Water can run dry though."
"I feel so helpless. It was my fault."
"No. It was Junghwan's fault." Hyejin hugged me tightly, and it was clearly something I needed the most at the moment. I cried silently behind the hug, trying to keep my mind sane that I missed my girlfriend so much. "You should really stop blaming yourself for that incident, Whee. How about trying to come and meet Yong this weekend? I think a week is enough. You two should talk."

 

I stood staring at the window, where the lights of office buildings in the city of Seoul illuminated the night. I pocketed my hands and stayed silent for a moment to calm my chaotic thoughts. From behind, Hyejin hugged me and landed her head on my right shoulder. I could tell she was really worried about me and I definitely felt guilty for making her feel that way. I turned around and for the second time that night hugged her tightly while releasing my fatigue.

 

"I have to leave to Busan tommorow morning. I wish I could stay at your place tonight."
"My busy business woman." I smirked. "You should go home and rest now."
"How about you? You'll go home with me, right?"
"I need another an hour to finish one thing. I will go home right after."
"Whee."
"I'm fine, Hyejin-ah. I think with this, I can distract myself." I smiled. "But I promise you that I will go home right after. I will eat and sleep well. I will come to her place tommorow and we will be just fine."
"That's my girl."
"I thought you came to tell a story about a man you dat—"
"A-a! No. Shhhht."
"Why?" I chuckled softly.

 

Hyejin rolled her eyes. From the blink of her eyes, I knew that her love story with a man she met on a business trip had run aground again. I chuckled softly. Hyejin's figure who yearns for perfection sometimes makes her think too much about things. And as a hopeless romantic, she often expects an ideal partner, so that sometimes makes her too picky. I hugged her again. I really missed her. I was actually quite worried about her physical condition as she went on a lot of business trips for the sake of her peaking career. My ambitious woman.

 

"Take your time. As much as you want. I only want you to get the best one."
"What's with the sudden attitude?" She laughed.
"I missed you, Hyejin-ah. Thank you for coming. I know you're so busy."
"I worried about you though." She looked at me sharply. "You think too much and it consumed you, Whee. I think you heard this a lot for me. Even I get tired of you sometimes. I can't imagine dating you. Please. Spill it out. Everything inside your head."
"Sorry. I'll be fine."
"Promise me you'll go home before midnight?"
"I promise, ma'am." I winked. "Let me take you to lobby?"
"No need. Just do your work so you can wrap up faster."
"Arrasseo."

 

An hour after Hyejin left, I was still struggling with a worksheet in front of me. There were 27 slides that I was still working on and I clearly had to do that night since I didn't intend to work on them on the weekend, the days when I wanted to focus everything on Yongsun and to solve it all so it doesn't drag on. My eyes felt so heavy and in contrast, my head felt so light. Slowly, I laid my head down on the table to rest it for a moment. I fell asleep for a moment, but felt awake, like underwater.

I must have been dreaming, or hallucinating, when I felt a soft, warm caress on my head. I was still trapped in dreamland when that soft voice called me, seemed to pull me above the surface. I opened my eyes and pulled my body up. I stared at the figure in front of me quietly.

 

"Whee."
"Yongsunie?"
"I came to your place but you're not there."
"You did?"
"I did. I phoned you but it was inactive."
"Oh. I must forg—"
"Baby."

 

That was the best word somebody ever said to me within a week.

 

"You look exhausted."

 

And also, a warm hug to clear up all of the pain I held in me.

 

"I miss you so much, Yong." I almost teared up.
"I miss you too." She whispered. "A lot more than you thought."
"I'm sorry, Yong. I didn't mean to hurt you like this."
"I know."
"Now you want to hear my explanation?"
"Hyejin told me earlier."
"Hyejin?"
"Yeah. We had lunch together today. I was about to call you to meet anyway, but then she told me the story from her perspective. She also told me about your story with him." She pulled herself, but giving a warm smile in return. "I hate it. I hate what he did, but I understood why he did it, or how did you respond that way. But I don't regret it that I was so mad at you. You're my girlfriend now. You're mine. And what's mine is mine." She frowned cutely. "And I don't share, Whee. I won't share you with anyone at all."
"I'm sorry that you had to listen from Hyejin first."
"I'm sure you will explain everything, but let's go home now?"

 

Yongsun gave me a sweet peck on the lips. I held her body as she wanted to pull it and landed my lips on hers once again, but this time, she realized I needed a real kiss and then slowly I also realized that she needed it too. Our lips pressed against each other for a long time before we finally pulled away with big s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter