Chapter XIV: Girlfriend

Dance Of The Shadows
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

"Interested?"

 

I took a glance and smiled lightly as she grabbed my waist softly from the side.

 

"It's been a year dating you, but I still couldn't read your mind."
"Nobody could read anyone, Byul-ah."
"So?"
"Not that much. I wonder why someone would want to paint a bowl of tteokbokki?"

 

I stared straight at a mini painting—maybe around A3 size, a painting of a bowl of tteokbokki served on a table. The scratches felt amateurish, not something you'd see in a gallery, and unlike the others, the painting didn't have any signature in it, yet somehow I stared at them for a few minutes. Yes, I suppressed my own ego, and in that defeat, I admitted for a moment, even though many years had passed I still felt that someone's presence in my life. And I hated myself for that.

 

"It's not for the gallery." Moonbyul chuckled. "The painting made by my good friend who lives in Paris."
"France?"
"Yeah. I met her when I traveled there to do stuffs. For an unclear reason, I found it so interesting."
"What's so interesting?"
"Well, beside she really likes tteokbokki—"

 

I held my breath a little for a moment.

 

"It's actually her first ever amateur painting. Well, she owns some galleries for business."
"Isn't it funny that a French likes tteokbokki?"

 

Our focus was split when a tall, sturdy man, wearing a suit and complete with black sunglasses suddenly opened the bedroom door. He walked closer and faced Moonbyul. With a slight nod of his head, he took off his glasses and smiled faintly.

 

"Ms. Moon. The car is ready. We should leave now."
"Ah. Yes. How long will it take to reach the ballroom?"
"Around 15 minutes, Miss."
"Great. We should go now then. We can't be late, please."

 

A year ago, I decided to date her, after spending several months together and on a warm day—thanks to her, amidst the cold January weather in Seoul, I decided to set my sights and my heart on her. Someone who has looked after me so well and loved me so sincerely that I thought I couldn't ask for more.

That day, we were in New York, and I was there to accompany Moonbyul and her business needs. An Asian art performance event was being held there and she was certainly enthusiastic about attending it, and that she also needed to meet some of her business partners. I spent the last few months a lot in the studio, preparing some material for the release of a mini album for Hwasa, and a kpop group from one of the top agencies. To make up for the time I spent busy, I decided to give my girlfriend a whole week and accompany her everywhere.

 

"I'm going to be a social butterfly today."
"Well, you always a social butterfly."

 

She pinched my arm lightly while giggling.

 

"By that mean—"
"I will be just accompanying you, smile and nod. Okay?"
"Well, you have your own time if you want."
"I can?"
"Yeah. I mean, I will be having some business conversation anyway." She hugged me from the side that I kissed the tip of her head softly. "The event has a music stage too, you know? If I'm not mistaken, there will be performers from South Korea as well."
"Really? Interesting. I wasn't aware."
"Yes. Not only music, there will be lots of art booths and installation. No entry ticket, it will be pretty crowded I assume."

 

I drowned in an unknown thoughts for a while when I felt my girlfriend tightened her hug and buried her face in my chest. I chuckled softly as I touched my nose to her face, and softly found my way to give a little peck on her lips.

 

"Is it okay that you're here with me?"
"What do you mean?" I pulled my face. "Of course it's okay."
"You've worked so hard. I was thinking if you want to spend your own time yourself, though."
"Aniyo. It's really fine." I planted another kiss to her lips. "I'm glad that I'm here with you. I'm sorry that I was so busy with my own world. Hyejin even thinks that you should leave me that I wasn't be able to give you my time sometimes."
"SHE SAID THAT?"
"Yeah. She said you're simply too good for me."

 

We laughed, imagining how Hyejin did yell over the statement.

 

"Well, I'm so busy too myself. I'm sorry."
"No." I pinched her cheek. "No sorry. We'll just enjoy our time here, okay? I can stroll around when you're busy with your stuffs. After today, we will be having a little vacation strolling around the city. All will be good and it's enough for me."
"You being here with me is the best thing to have as always, you know?"
"Likewise, jagi." I pulled her for another hug. "Let's not worry too much. Okay?"
"You can read my mind."

 

Moonbyul gave me a short kiss before we separated from each other. She had to do her job, of course, and in the middle of that, I decided to go around as planned. Exactly as she said, the place was surrounded by lots of art installations and booths that caught my eye. For almost the next 30 minutes, I bagged several items that took my heart, most of which I could use as additional decoration for my work desk which I felt was quite plain. Well, simplicity is always my thing, but adding some simple accessories doesn't sound like a bad idea at all.

After getting tired of walking around, I decided to buy a bottle of cold orange juice which was sold by a booth manned by a very friendly middle-aged couple. After chatting with them a little, I decided to find out the details of the music program in the next hall. As I got closer, I faintly heard a foreign song playing beautifully in my ears, and I became more and more eager to walk towards the sound when suddenly I felt someone holding my arm and calling me in a voice that of course I still knew very well even though many years had passed.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter