Chapter XVI: Closure

Dance Of The Shadows
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

 

My legs felt heavy, but on the other hand, I had never felt like leaving this earth before. My heart felt relief, like part of it was calling her name continuously, and just like that, it was responded.

I couldn't say a word yet, but tend to observe—or even enjoyed her changes since all those years I had seen her have left me with my heart broken in two. Yongsun is Yongsun. Her beauty was still pretty much enchanting, even though the few lines on her face tell how she could have worked so hard, or probably thought so heavily. She looked different with the short hair, something I knew would suit her.

I moved forward for just one step where my heart beat dropped. I felt a strange feeling come over me. A feeling that I saw Yongsun seemed to fence off our positions, which I should have understood with my common sense. Right when I thought I would never be able to face her after her departure, I could sense how her lips trembled and the situation puzzled her.

 

"Wheein!" Kazuko's light voice was heard from apart. "I think she really enjoys it." She glanced at my girlfriend, Moonbyul, when they both walked closer. I stood still, remained calm while waiting for my death.
"I'm sure she does—Ah, you met a friend here?" Moonbyul arrived and asked me right away.

 

I stood still. I'm such an idiot.

 

"Yongsun. You're still here? Don't you have a flight to catch?" Kazuko and Yongsun smiled at each other, leaving me alone. "Ah. Also. Yong, this is Moonbyul. And Moonbyul, this is Yongsun. This is the one Antoine waited today." She winked at Yongsun.
"Pleased to meet you, Moonbyul-ssi." Yongsun greeted. "I'm Yongsun. One of Antoine's partners." She smirked lightly. "And I heard a lot about you too from Antoine. You're one of his favorite clients for sure."
"Likewise. Moonbyul." Moonbyul replied with such a warm handshake. "And you are, I'm sorry. Antoine's girlfriend?"

 

Kazuko laughed. I stood still.

 

"No. Yongsun is—well, married." Kazuko patted Yongsun's shoulder lightly as they both shared a little laughter. I never knew until that day that the reality was still hurt me. "Yongsun is Antoine's good friend, and a personal consultant, most of the time." Another laughter and I started to feel numb. "And the one who introduced tteokbokki to Antoine."
"That's pretty detail, but thanks Kazuko."
"I see." Moonbyul replied. "And do you happen to know my girlfriend?"

 

Everyone suddenly realized of my existence again, putting the highlight on me, and that was the part I hated the most from the conversation. Yongsun looked at me after tossing her short hair to the side and smiled lightly, which I returned with a little smile I couldn't hold back. I clenched my hands which were in my pockets to give me the calm I needed as I walked over to Moonbyul who gently patted my back from below. I was so ready for it.

 

"No."

 

Yongsun's reply confused me.

 

"I met this one staring at the painting so deeply. I was afraid she'd get lost, so I decided to greet her."

 

They laughed, except for me.

 

"I'm Yongsun. Pleased to meet you."

 

But why, Yong? Is it easier?

 

"Wheein."
"Such a unique one."
"Is it?"
"Right, Moonbyul-ssi?"

 

Moonbyul hugged me from behind with a little laugh.

 

"Accurate. Even the person is."

 

I laughed too, although it was more like laughing at the situation. I thought about what was going through Yongsun's mind, and decided to end all my speculation. After all, I didn't have to discuss something that has already ended, and with that in mind, I tightened my grip on Moonbyul's waist while glancing at her with a smile.

 

"Yongsun! I think you really should go to the airport, otherwise—"
"Sure, Kazuko. I'll leave soon." She winked. "Pleased to meet you all here, though."
"Ah. You're leaving? Now I remember that Antoine told me stuffs about you." Moonbyul said. "I hope we could meet again, Yongsun-ssi." She added. "Are you visiting this place oftenly?"
"It depends."
"Yongsun travels everytime, Byul." Kazuko interrupted. "She's a hella busy business woman."
"Kazuko." Yongsun smirked at her. "Let's see. I hope we could meet again too. If you're working with Antoine, I'm sure there will be time for it." Yongsun glanced at her wrist with narrowed eyebrows and a little gasp. "Uh. I think I really should go now."

 

Yongsun pulled out her handbag and smiled again while offering her right hand to Moonbyul, looking at her straight.

 

"Again, enchantée! Let's talk again soon?"
"Hope so. Please have a safe flight."
"Thanks, Moonbyul-ssi. That's so sweet of you." She smiled. "Kazuko, I'm leaving."

 

And I stood still.

 

"And you, Wheein-ssi." Yongsun glanced at me. "I hope you enjoyed your time at the gallery today. I'm sorry that I disturbed you."
"Have a safe flight, Yongsun-ssi."
"Thank you."

 

Yongsun smiled broadly with her eyes forming a line. She then walked steadily towards the exit and disappeared in a matter of seconds, leaving Moonbyul and Kazuko who immediately continued chatting a little, and me who turned blue. Right when I thought I should have ended all the thoughts in my mind about Yongsun's sudden appearance, Kazuko rang her name again.

 

"Yongsun spent the past a year visiting gallery to gallery. But unlike you who runs things for business purpose, it's more to peace of mind purpose for her." Kazuko stared blankly at the exit gate. "It must be so hard for her."
"What's going on—may I know?" Moonbyul asked.
"The marriage doesn't work, and she's on the verge divorce."
"That's awful."
"Not sure what's lacking. She's a very good woman. Smart, kind, rich and a real hard-worker.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter