| She, Who Deserves Her

From Afar
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

| Kim Minjeong
 

Alcohol.
 

I smell alcohol.
 

This was not a new smell to me. My sister sometimes comes home to Seoul just to drink alcohol just because she doesn't like the mixed smell of smoke and perfume in the clubs.

She tends to get dizzy because of the smell, while I get dizzy because of the noise.

But why do I smell the alcohol, you may ask?

"Let's drink."

"Huh?"

She smiled at me. "Let's drink and get drunk, Minjeongie."

That was what Aeri said as soon as she stepped inside her mansion. After her date with Yuji.

I expected her to come home with a big smile on her face, since she accomplished the goal she's been dying to experience. A date with Yuji. A date with her crush-my crush.

But she came home and immediately approached me, asking me to drink with her.

I remembered declining that offer before. I don't drink, I won't drink.

But here I am, along with my friends, in Aeri's living room, looking at the tons of bottles of beer in front of me.

Aeri is drunk, and quiet.

I expected her to become more loud if she got drunk, but I guess I was wrong.

My friends are drunk too, except for Ryujin who looks like she can still take three bottles more.

That girl is a drunkard, I swear.

They are loud. Even Chaeryeong is becoming loud. Yuna is doing a silly dance in front of us while Yeji and Jisu are laughing at her.

Ningning is at my side, quiet like Aeri.

I am drunk too.

Ryujin made me drink a whole bottle, and Aeri gave me another one. I wasn't used to drinking alcohol, hence why the effect quickly got into me. I'm feeling dizzy.

I looked at the girl who's on the other side of the couch.

Yuji, my beautiful Yuji.

She's just sitting there but she still looks so pretty. How unfair was that?

I don't know if she's drunk or not. Her cheeks are a bit red, but she's also quiet like Ningning and Aeri. So I think she's still thinking straight.

Wait, is she straight?

My eyebrows furrowed.

No, I don't think so.

I scrunched my nose and looked at her again.

Really pretty.

How did Aeri achieve to have someone like her?

I'm jealous.

I'm so jealous.

I wish I was the one who could have her.

I wish I was just like her so I can have her.

I wish I was Aeri.

I wish I was my best friend.

I chuckled.

I think I'm the one who's not thinking straight here.

I stood up from my seat. A bit wiggly, but I managed to walk towards her. I held her wrist, which seemed to startle her, but I didn't let go.

"Yuji~" I called. She looked at me.

"Mindeongie," She stared at my face. "You're drunk."

"I'm not." I pouted, before curling my lips upwards, smiling at her again. "Come. Come with me."

I pulled her away from my friends, from all the noise. I'm really feeling dizzy because of it, and me being drunk is not helping at all.

I kept pulling Yuji until we got into Ryujin and I's room. I slide the glass door so we can enter the balcony.

Wow, it's cold here.

"Minjeong, what are we doing here?"

Minjeong?

"It's Mindeongie for you, stupid." I poked her shoulders. "And why do you sound so serious? It's not like I'll do something to you or anything." I grinned.

I saw her stare at me. "You're really drunk."

"I said I'm not!" I exclaimed, crossing my arms against my chest.

"Let's get you to bed, Min-"

"I like you."

"...W-what?"

I faced her. She looked shocked. Was my confession shocking?

"I said I like you, Yuji." My eyebrows furrowed. "No wait, I think I love you-no, I don't think I've gone that far. Yeah, I like you. That's right."

"A-are you serious right now?"

"Do I look like I have a wig and big red nose in front of you? I'm not a clown. I'm not joking."

She didn't answer. She looked speechless.

I waved my hand.

"Meh, it doesn't matter. You're with Aeri now. It doesn't matter." I repeated, forcing myself to look away from her.

The moon is so bright tonight.

"See that?" I pointed at the moon above us. "That's you."

"You're like the moon, so beautiful yet so hard to reach. I want to have you, keep you by my side so you can bring light to my life. But I know I can't," I put a hand on my chest.

Wow, it stinged. That hurt.

"Because I don't deserve you, Yuji." I smiled.

"Aeri is a star, like, one of the biggest. She's probably the Sun." I chuckled. "She can reach you so easily, she just have to wait for you and her to collide and you will become the brightest. You become the brightest when you're with her."

My hands went to the railings, gripping it tightly.

"And I'm just a human, a normal person who can only watch your beautiful collision...from afar."

My gaze shifted to her.

She's giving me a look that I can't comprehend. Was it a pity? Sadness? Confusion? Pain?

I refused to know.

"I like you so much that it's so sad." I confessed.

"It's sad that I don't even regret losing you."

I looked into her eyes. "Because I know you deserve so much better, Yuji. You deserve Aeri. Both of you deserve each other."

"Who are you to decide who I deserve?"

My breath hitched. Her voice sounds so dull and cold.

"Who are you to decide who I want to be? Who I want to like?"

"How dare you speak so low of yourself like that?"

My eyes widened.

"My God, Minjeong." She rubbed her face in frustration. I can even see the same emotion in her eyes when she looked at me again. "You're...you're the whole universe to me."

What?

"You're my moon." She muttered. "You're my sun, my stars, my world, my

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter