The Couple

If I'm Not in Love with You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

They sat together at lunch the next day. And people didn’t fail to notice, causing ripples of hushed whispering from all around the cafeteria. However, the supposed couple uncomfortably avoided intrusive gazes, feeling as though they were two specimens under a microscope for their unnecessary scrutiny. Kyungsoo didn’t speak much and Chanyeol, to open up a conversation, gave her his mobile phone number for the first time so in case when she needed him, he could be reached. She appeared offended at first and then accepted, while reluctantly giving him hers.

 

When they went to class, Chanyeol held her hand. She stiffened, looking at him. A few spectators observed Kyungsoo’s somewhat resistance, and she heard speculations like: “Trouble in paradise, already?” She frowned at them and clasped her fingers with Chanyeol’s in determination, wanting to prove them wrong.

 

Then she didn’t feel too good inside, or the way his warm hand was entwined with hers. What was this all about? Yes, they had agreed to show people that they were suddenly in love, but she was starting to hate every minute of it. She sighed heavily, feeling troubled.

 

And this was just the first day.

 

At Lit 201, she didn’t even glance his way. Chanyeol understood completely since being seated at the back wasn’t all that strange to him. But then again, they had gotten much more personal in the last two days. He didn’t know what was real anymore—being a potentially good friend to her or being the boyfriend everyone affirmed today that he already was?

 

How was he going to prove his credibility to her now? How was he going to show her that being in this position was supposed to be a dream come true?

 

He didn’t even realize that class was over until he recognized Kyungsoo standing in front of him. She had been excellent at keeping it all in that he didn’t have the availability or the courage to probe her. It felt as though they had already been spending two years together, and not two days...

 

“You want to go?” she asked quietly.

 

Chanyeol wordlessly nodded, slowly getting up from his seat and gathering his things. Their classmates stared at them as they joined them to the exit.

 

He merely asked to carry her books, which she mutely gave him. But that was the only exchange of words that transpired. They spent the next few minutes quietly walking towards the auditorium for her rehearsals.

 

They entered and there was the expected jeering. As predicted, it wasn’t as boisterous or as malicious as yesterday’s. Chanyeol should feel relieved that people were getting tired of the scandal already, but he wasn’t. Instead, he felt drained. If he was going to be her boyfriend, and it had to be like this, it better had just remained a dream. He was hurting because of this deception. Worst of all, he was somehow hurting her, making i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter