His Birthday

If I'm Not in Love with You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chanyeol glanced at his wristwatch.  It was half past six p.m.  He thought to drop off the stacks of paper, staple wires and other supplies that Junmyeon requested for him to buy before he could go home to have dinner with his parents.

 

“Why is the office so dark?” Chanyeol wondered out loud, walking into an empty room, trying to switch on the lights.  “Hello?”

 

“SURPRISE!”

 

His eyes almost bulged out of their sockets as roughly two dozen of his friends squeezed themselves in their office space.

 

Deafening claps and cheers were all he heard as everyone seemed to come at him at once, hugging and greeting him joyously.  Much to Chanyeol’s delight, his parents were also there!  His lovely mother kissed him on the cheek.  “Happy birthday, my love!”

 

The birthday boy wasn’t speaking—only his face turned completely pale.

 

Baekhyun shook him.  “Yah, Yeol!  Are you mad at us?”

 

Jongin punched the birthday boy on the arm.  “Don’t be mad.  We worked hard for this.”

 

Chanyeol emitted breathless laughter.  “No, I’m not mad.  You just nearly gave me a heart attack, that’s all.”

 

Everyone laughed. 

 

“Wow...” he remarked in awe, walking towards the center of the room now as his eyes absorbed the hard work Jongin was talking about.  A brilliantly made banner on top of the LCD, several multi-colored balloons and streamers all over the place, a long table filled with his favorite dishes and several boxes of pepperoni pizza and another table was set for gifts.  “No clowns or mascots, huh?” he joked to his guests.

 

“None, bro,” Jongin answered.  “But there is this.” 

 

Everyone began to sing the birthday song.

 

And a vision emerged Junmyeon’s cubicle, with chocolate cake on hand.

 

“Happy birthday to you,” Kyungsoo sang softly, couldn’t help but smile at the stunned expression on his face as she carefully approached him with his birthday cake.  “Happy birthday, dear Chanyeol...”

 

He hadn’t even blinked.  Kyungsoo was there, standing in front of him...

 

“Happy birthday to you,” she whispered.

 

All his guests screamed and cheered and laughed even more.  But he hardly heard them as he concentrated on what was before him.  Was he dreaming?  He assumed there were only twenty-two tiny blue candles on his cake but there seemed to be millions as the candlelight made her so much more picturesque that her beautiful face shone and glistened...

 

He came to his senses then, as he remembered his manners and caught his cake underneath, only her hands were trapped in his...

 

“Uh... Kyungsoo, this cake is heavy...”

 

“No, Chanyeol, don’t move.  It’s going to topple over...”

 

“It won’t, just give me the...” 

 

And just as predicted, the cake started to slide to one side until both of them toggled their hands to balance the rectangular flat surface.

 

Everyone sighed in relief as they realized that his birthday cake was now safe.

 

Chanyeol smiled shyly, terribly embarrassed.  Here he was, holding the hands of the girl of his dreams, as she presented him his birthda

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter