Face-Off

If I'm Not in Love with You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Chanyeol-rah...” He vaguely heard his mother calling him, knocking on his door. “Chanyeol-rah...”

 

He groaned, turning over on his bed. “Omma...” he called out sleepily. “It’s Saturday.  I don’t have classes...”

 

“Jongin’s here. He says he wants to talk to you.”

 

His eyes flew open. He sat up automatically, that adrenaline rush particularly caused by utmost panic. “Okay, Omma!” he called out again. “Just a minute!”

 

He ran to his private bathroom and splashed water on his face. Then he gamely gave himself a little pep talk. “Okay, Nini’s probably going to tell you about their date last night. Expect that he would be happy and smiling all the time. And because you’re a good friend, you would be happy for him.  Got that, Park Chanyeol?!” Then he reprimanded himself on the mirror. “Serves you right for waiting around so long. Now you know that Kyungsoo likes Jongin too.”

 

He sighed, staring at the three red M&M’s stuck on his mirror. He was not only pathetic; he was also going crazy...

 

He shook his head and made himself look presentable. He finally emerged from his bedroom and greeted Jongin with a smile.

 

Chanyeol was rewarded with a blank expression.

 

The next thing he knew, Jongin carelessly threw his car key towards his direction. On reflex, Chanyeol caught the key with his hands.

 

Chanyeol’s friendly smile faded. Mrs. Park came out from the kitchen, bringing out breakfast. “Boys, sit down and eat.”

 

Chanyeol looked at Jongin, whose mouth was in a grim line. “Maybe later, Omma.” He tentatively put an arm around Jongin’s shoulder. “C’mon, let’s have a chat outside.”

 

Jongin stiffly went ahead as Chanyeol followed, closing the front door behind him.

 

His best friend leaned his backside on the Camaro’s hood. Chanyeol did the same a few inches beside him.

 

Jongin crossed his arms on his chest, his narrow gaze at the opposite direction.

 

Chanyeol didn’t know if he should initiate asking about last night. He didn’t feel right about it. Jongin appeared extremely mad for some reason. Before he could muster up the courage to find his voice:

 

“Is there something you want to tell me, Chanyeol?” Jongin asked seriously. He was going to give the chance for his best friend to explain his side.

 

His friend’s quiet tone startled Chanyeol. “Uh...” What exactly did Jongin mean? “A-About what?”

 

Jongin rolled his eyes. “About you... and your girl?”

 

Chanyeol’s mouth dropped. How did Jongin find out? His heart started to pound faster. Had his actions whenever Kyungsoo was around gave away too much? He tried to laugh, to camouflage his guilt. “My girl? You mean K—”

 

“BAEKHYUN!” Jongin's eyes blazed.

 

Chanyeol’s eyes bugged out. “Baekhyun?”

 

“So when did it start, Yeol?” Jongin confronted. “Are you two even planning on telling me? Or am I just naturally left out of the equation?”

 

“Nini, what are you talking about?”

 

His denial only fueled Jongin’s anger. “Don’t Nini me!  What I’m talking about is you going after Baekhyun behind my back! Are you her boyfriend already?!”

 

“Huh?”

 

“Don’t play dumb, bro! How could you compose a poem unless she helped you?  She’s the only natural writer among the three of us!” Jongin looked at him mockingly.

 

Chanyeol had to put a stop to this. “Now, wait a minute. It’

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter