Happy birthday

With All My Heart

Yoo Chun and I were always going out for dinner after office hour, this time he took me to a western restaurant.

"How's the food? Do you like it?" He stared at me.

I smiled. "Hm, I like it."

"That's good. I wanna take your family for dinner here." He reached one of my hands and held it.

"Omma and Appa will be delighted with your invitation."

"Ah, right. Hye Rin invites you to her birthday party this Saturday, seven o'clock."

"Okay, I'll be there."

After we finished our dinner, Yoo Chun sent me home and he gave me goodbye kiss on the lips as usuall. Shouldn't my heart beat like crazy when he kissed me? Instead, I felt nothing. It's been three months we're in this relationship, why am I being like this?

 

It's Hye Rin's big day, Jae Joong and I get ready for the party. Since the party is held at her house, I assumed that it's a garden party so I took out my cocktail dress from the wardrobe closet.  It's a simple knee-length blue dress with two thin straps. I put on a pearl necklace and bracelet so the dress won't look so plain then looked out for my black high heels and the pouch. I rechecked my appearance once more in the mirror before I went downstairs where Jae Joong already waits for me. Jae Joong is wearing black suit with black t-shirt in the inside. He pulled the jacket sleeves up until below his elbows.

"You look so pretty." He praised me when we met at the living room.

"Thanks. You look handsome too, I bet there's a bunch of girls are gonna chase after you." We walked together to the front door, his car already park there.

He smiled. "Are you not?"

"Ye?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Let's just pretend that I'm not your brother, will you attracted to me?"

What kind of question is that? He stared at me seriously, no sign on his face that he is joking with me. I shrugged. "I don't know, maybe yes maybe no."

He laughed. We both stepped into the car. He drove out from the yard in low speed until we hit the road.

"There's possibility in you answer, that means I'm not that bad in your eyes."

"I never had that kind of thought."

"If only we met not because of our parents’ marriage, I must've—"

My cell phones rang. I took it out from my pouch and read the screen. "Yoo Chun ssi."

He asked me where am I right now.

"I'm on my way."

I waited until he finished. "See you there. Bye." I put the cell phones back to my pouch. "Sorry for the interuption. What did you say earlier?"

"Nothing, just forget it."

"Oh, okay."

When we arrived at Park's house, lots of cars already parked in the house yard. I guess the party already started.

*****

Today is my birthday party, I'm so excited and also satisfied because the decorations were perfect and so does my gown. Jae Joong Oppa must be stunned. I can't wait to see his reaction. This gonna be the best birthday party ever. I looked around but I still can't find him. I happened to ask Jun Su Oppa but he also hasn't seen him around. Some guests walked towards me and congratulate me but my eyes still scanning the garden. Then I saw the man I love the most was just entering the party area. I walked towards him.

"Oppa."

He spun around. "Oh, Hye Rin ah. Happy birthday." He shook my hand and handed me a small box tied with pink ribbon. "This is from me and Joo Yeon, we hope you like it." I looked at the box on my hand, why this present doesn't come from Jae Joong Oppa alone?

"Hye Rin ssi, happy birthday." Joo Yeon stretched out her hand to me, I shook it but I'm not in the mood for chat with her.

"What took you so long, Oppa? I've been waiting for you to blow the candle." I curled my hand on his arm and dragged him to the cake table.

He smiled. "Mian."

Jae Joong Oppa and I were standing in front of the cake table. He lit the candle while the guests sang a birthday song for me. I closed my eyes and make a wish. Few seconds later, I blew the candle and all guests applaused.

"Hye Rin ah, what is your wish?" One of my friends asked.

I smiled. "Secret."

"Oh, come on. Tell us."

"Alright, if you all curious. I wanna get married as soon as possible." I glanced at Jae Joong Oppa to see his reaction but no response. He looked like stared at something so I followed his gaze. He was looking at Joo Yeon who’s talking to one of the guest.

"Oppa." I sighed. He didn't hear me so I touched his arm. He startled and turned to look at me.

"Ye?"

"I wanna marry you." I stared at him, suddenly the crowds turned silent when I finished talk.

"Hye Rin ah."

At that time, I know all eyes were focused on us even Joo Yeon, whose talking to one of the guest, stop and looked at us.

"I mean it, Oppa."

"Hye Rin ah, I can't."

After he said that, he turned to look at Joo Yeon again. I saw they were looking at each other for seconds before she continue talking to my guest. Am I right all this time about them? "That's okay. I know you can't give me the answer right now. I'll wait." I smiled then I gave him the first cake.

The party now officialy begins. The guests started to fill in the empty space in the garden with their chattering and plates on their hand. I mingled around to greet the guests, some of them were the sons from my dad's relatives and some were my friends. Where is Jae Joong Oppa? I searched in the crowds and found him standing next to the drinks bar with Jun Su Oppa. And just like what he did before, his eyes kept staring at Joo Yeon even though Jun Su Oppa was talking to him.

Joo Yeon was talking with Chun Oppa in the other side of the pool while enjoying the food. I watched them from afar, sometimes I saw Oppa touched her arm and caress it. I smirked, Oppa really good at stuff like this. Feel secure, I decided to join Jae Joong Oppa and Jun Su Oppa so I walked to their place but suddenly Jae Joong Oppa walked away before I reached them. I stop to looked where he'd go and I didn't expect that he's gonna walk to Joo Yeon. Where is Chun Oppa? I looked around and found him in the corner gazebo near the pool, talking with the cell phone stuck on his ear. I walked again to Jun Su Oppa.

"Hye Rin ssi." He smiled.

"Hi, Oppa." I grabbed one glass of alcohol drink from the bar and drank in one shot whilst eyeing Jae Joong Oppa and Joo Yeon.

"The party is perfect."

"Thanks."

I still eyeing them and then something happen beyond my imagination. I shocked when Jae Joong Oppa's hand touched Joo Yeon's corner lips. What the hell? Can't she keep the distance? I can't stand it anymore. She must do that on purpose so I must teach her some lesson. I left Jun Su Oppa without saying anything and walked directly to them. When I reached their place, Jae Joong Oppa looked surprise.

"Oh, Hye Rin ah."

"Oppa, what are you doing here? You're supposed to accompany me instead of standing here with Joo Yeon." I fiercely stared at Joo Yeon. "She already had Chun Oppa as her partner." I said sharply, she look startled.

"Hye Rin ah, why are you always act childish like that."

Jae Joong Oppa let go of my grip from his arm. My brain think fast, I wanna make sure everyone knows that no one can have him except me so I kissed his cheek in front of Joo Yeon and everyone else. I stared at Jae Joong Oppa's shock face. "It's because I love you."

"Look—"

I cut him, something more important need to be settled right now. "Let's talk about it later, Oppa. I need to talk to Joo Yeon now."

"Ye?" She surprised with my request.

Jae Joong Oppa stared at me. "Hye Rin ah, why don't you just talk here?"

"Please, Oppa. It's a girl talk." I smiled. "Just wait here, I'll be right back."

I pulled Joo Yeon's arm but Jae Joong Oppa caught her other arm and held her still. I knew he suspiciously stared at me but I gave him my sweetest smile. Joo Yeon touched his hand.

"It is okay, Jae Joong ssi. We'll be right back."

Great! Now these two people openly touching each other in front of me. I can't let this condition continues. I took her to the corner not far from the pool after ensuring that Jae Joong Oppa can't hear our conversations.

"What is it, Hye Rin ssi?" She looked confuse.

"What do you think you're doing?"

"What do you mean?"

"I want you to keep your distance with Jae Joong Oppa." I said sharply. "He's my fiancé and I don't like you around him."

"Hye Rin ssi, I still don't get what you're trying to say."

"Don't play dumb." I smiled wryly and folded my arms. "It looks like you're same with your mother, chasing rich man for their wealth and now your targets are Jae Joong Oppa and Chun Oppa right?"

"Hye Rin ssi, you can humiliate me or accuse me anything but never— ever insult my mother like that." She looked angry, her hands turned into fist beside her body.

I laughed at her fake innocent face. "Accuse? It's so clear that you're flirting with Jae Joong Oppa back there!"

"What? Flirting?"

"Yes, flirting! I saw Jae Joong Oppa touched your lips!"

She was thinking about something. "Ah, now I get it. Jae Joong only tried to clean the left-over rice, so-"

"I don't care! He's my fiancé so you better watch out."

"I really pity you, Hye Rin ssi." She sighed. "You shouldn't behave like this."

I widened my eyes, how dare she pity me? Who does she think she is? She walked pass me and I followed her from behind. Suddenly, I had plan on my mind to humiliate her when I saw her walked along the pool side. I speed up my steps to match hers and I pushed her until she fell into the pool.

I patiently looked at her in the pool then I realized that she can't swim when her head up and down in the water for seconds before finally drowned. My smile turned into panic, what should I do? Slowly, the guests start gathered around the pool to see what happened. Suddenly out of nowhere, a guy jump to the pool to save her.

Joo Yeon's body was pulled out from the water by Jae Joong Oppa and put on the floor beside the pool. Now I know who’s the guy who jumped a few minute ago is. Joo Yeon was unconscious and Jae Joong Oppa was checking on her heart beat. Oh my God, what if I killed her? I bit my lips. I'm so scared right now. I saw Jae Joong Oppa gave her CPR few times until she cough and spit out the water she drank. He lifted her body up to half and hugged her. Chun Oppa came with a towel and cover her body. When my eyes met with Jae Joong Oppa's, I immediately turned my body and walked away from the crowds without looking back. I went inside to the house, didn't know that he followed me. He pulled my arm and spun me.

"Oppa?" I knew my voice was shaking because I was shocked.

"Tell me what you’ve done!" He gave me fierce look.

My eyes looked elsewhere, didn't dare to look at his. "What do you mean?"

"What have you done to Joo Yeon?"

He raised his voice and he tightened his grip on my arm. When I looked up to see his face, his stares make me scared. He never treated me like this before. Just because of one Joo Yeon, he changed his attitude towards me.

"Let me go, Oppa. You're hurting me." I tried to loosen his grip on my arm and answer slowly. "I-I didn't do anything to Joo Yeon."

He let go of his grip, I rubbed my arm. It turned red now and it really hurts. Jae Joong Oppa then shortened our distance, he bent down and whisper in my ear. "This time I let you go but if it's happen again, I won't hesitate to take action on you."

I widened my eyes, can't believe what I just heard. Jae Joong Oppa threatened me if I happen to hurt Joo Yeon again. I stare at him in disbelief. "Oppa, you changed. You never treat me like this before."

He didn't say anything and just walked away, left me alone in the room.

Joo Yeon.

I hate that !

*****

I went back to the pool, looking for Joo Yeon. The garden almost empty when I arrived, one by one the guests took off from the party. I saw Jun Su was sitting on the chair near the pool alone. I walked to him.

"Jun Su ya."

He rose and walked towards me. "Jae, what happened?"

"I'll tell you later. Did you see Joo Yeon?"

"She walked into the house with Yoo Chun."

"Oh, okay. I'll go look for them."

I half run into the house, start searching in the living room but no one there so I continue walked to the kitchen. I stopped in front of the kitchen door when I saw Joo Yeon lean on Yoo Chun's embrace. My heart aches but I threw it aside. I took a deep breath before entering the kitchen.

"Yoo Chun ah."

He nodded. "Jae."

Yoo Chun let go of his embrace on Joo Yeon when he saw me walked in. My eyes were staring at Joo Yeon when I walked towards them, she still looked pale but she already changed her dress into t-shirt and jeans which I'm sure belong to Hye Rin.

"It's late, let's go home." I said to her.

She nodded and turned to look at Yoo Chun. "I'm going now. Thanks for everything."

"Get some rest." He caressed her cheek.

Joo Yeon walked towards me but she stopped half way and turned back at Yoo Chun. "Yoo Chun ssi, about Hye Rin...just let her go, please don't trouble her anymore."

"No, I must talk to her about this. Go home and take a rest."

"C'mon." I curled my arm around her shoulder and spun her while I bid goodbye to Yoo Chun. "Yoo Chun ah, we're off now."

"Okay, be careful."

Forty-five minutes later, we arrived at home. Joo Yeon and I headed directly to our rooms on second floor. She stopped in front of her room door.

"Thanks Jae."

"As long as you're okay."

"Hatchoo.."

She suddenly sneezed. I reflex touched her forehead to check and her skin felt a little bit warm on my hand. "It seems like you catch a cold, get inside. I'll go get the medicine."

I went downstairs to the kitchen and grabbed some drugs. Five minutes later, I knocked on her door and walked in. She was lying down on the bed, still looked pale. She rose and rested her back on the bedstead when she saw me approach. I sat on the bedside and handed her one pill and a glass of water.

"Here."

She took the pill and drank it. "Sorry for bothering you like this."

She smiled. I stared at her in silence, how I wish that I could hold her in my arms but I know I can't. It's so hard to throw away my feelings for her.

"Jae Joong ssi, from now on I want us to keep distance." Her head drop to the chest. "Just pretend that I'm invincible."

"Keep distance? So this is what you and Hye Rin talked about. Listen." I put my finger on her chin and forced her eyes to look at me, "I'll never keep distance with you. You hear me?"

"Please Jae. I don't wanna get into trouble anymore because of her jealousy. She's your fiancée and I respect her wish."

"Hye Rin is not my fiancée and I don't have feelings for her. She's like sister to me."

She looked shock with my answer. "So you don't like her?"

"It's not that I don't like her but I just don't have those man-to-woman-feelings for her."

"Then why don't you tell her?" She frowned.

"I once told her about it but she won't listen."

"Then you should get married faster. That way, maybe she will retreat voluntarily."

I laughed. "Marry with whom?"

"So you really don't have any girlfriend?"

I shook my head.

"But you do have a woman you like, do you?"

My heart beat fast when that question came from her. I really wish I can say that the woman I like is her. We stared at each other for seconds.

"It's late, go to sleep." I rose from the bed and walked away.

"You haven't answered my question."

I walked back and stood beside her bed. "I do have someone I like."

"Who? Have you told her your feelings?"

"Hm, you look so curious." I smiled at her curiousity.

She pouted. "Who's curious? I'm just asking, if you don't wanna tell me then that's okay."

I laughed. "I'm gonna get rejected by her because she hate me. So, I'll give all Oppa's love only for you." I touched lightly her nose then walked away.

"Yaaaa!" She yelled at me and threw me her pillow but missed because I was able to avoid it just in time.

"Good night, my lovely sister." I stepped out from her room and closed the door behind me then smiled to myself.

Seo Joo Yeon.

Looks like I’m falling in love with you.