The Fragile Package

Letters To Oppa

Minhee sat on her bed staring at the boxes containing her belongings.  She could slightly see the strap of her camera bag poking out of the top of the one closest to her.  Sighing, she reached over and lifted it out.  Inside were each of her cameras secured tightly into their place.  She smirked and pulled out her digital, and flicked through her pictures.  She paused on the picture of the two kids that she had taken the first day that she had talked to Chanyeol.  She smiled down at the picture and leaned against the headboard.

 

Chanyeol had quietly pushed open the door as Minhee was staring at the picture.  Her faint smile made his heart skip a beat.  She glanced up at him and jumped a little, "My god, you scared me."  He chuckled as he made his way over and sat down next to her.  Chanyeol rested his head on her shoulder and looked at the screen of the camera.  "Cute."  He mumbled and Minhee nodded, "This is one of my favorite pictures that I have ever taken."  Chanyeol shook his head, "I wasn't particularly talking about the picture, I was more talking about the photographer."  Minhee blushed as he pulled the camera out of her hands and set it down next to the bed.  "So you wanna talk about this whole mentally unstable business?  Or are we just gonna sit here and avoid the topic?"

 

Minhee sighed, "Do you remember when I told you that my mom was murdered when I was five?"  Chanyeol nodded, lacing their fingers together, "Yeah, you said that they had the wrong guy for it."  The girl took in a shakey breath before continuing, "It was my dad."  Chanyeol stiffened before sitting up and looking at Minhee.  She appeared to be on the verge of tears and he eaned forward, wrapping his arms around her.  She choaked down the sobs, "He tried to get me to stab her with the knife and when I wouldn't, he slit .  It was terrifying, and I ran away until I was found two months later, after the case had been closed.  I had told the police and psychologists that they had the wrong person for about a year before I figured out that it was useless.  Nobody was going to believe me."  Minhee had tears silently dripping down her face and she wiped absentmindedly at them.

 

"So I lived with my dad.  He was an alcoholic and a drug addict.  We moved around a lot, each place more disgusting than the last.  Some of those buildings I was surprised to wake up in the morning and find that the roof hadn't caved in on me.  Others I flat out refused to stay inside and lived on the streets, but that damn bastard would always find me and drag me to where ever he was going."  Chanyeol watched Minhee's eyes as they hardened while talking about her dad.  He didn't know that she had lived like this, and didnt know how to comfort her, besides tightening his grip around her waist.  She glanced at him and her eyes softened as she sadly smiled at him.  

 

"Five years to the day from mom's death, I saw my chance.  Now, Chanyeol you can't hate me for this, but I'm a murderer."

 

Those words replayed themselves in Chanyeol's head like a broken record and his hands fell away from the girl's waist.  Minhee's face contorted in pain at the action and took in a deep breath.  She got up and sat down on the window sil.  The sun was beginning to set and Minhee watched it, not wanting to see Chanyeol's face as she told him the rest, "Everyone was out of the appartments we were living in and dad was in his room, doing drugs, as usual.  I locked the door to his room and them set the building on fire."  

 

She waited until the street light outside her window came on to continue, "They took me to Saint Norberts where I was in an isolation room for a year.  After that I was moved into the main room, only being in the isolation room for when I acted up.  That's where I met Mia.  Then, there was this weird kid with big ears that came in with his aunt.  She said that she wa good friends with my mom and I made the kid cry.  Secretly, I had always kinda wondered what ever happened to him.  I mean, he never came back after that.  Anyways, I was in Saint Norberts for 5 years, I got out when I was 15 and was released in Mrs. Lee's care.  She knew who I was and what I had done but trusted me and let me stay at her place until I was able to support myself.  I forced myself to forget everything, knowing that I was a danger to everyone around me wasn't something easy to cope with and I pushed people away and never told a single person what had actually happened again."

 

A tear rolled down Minhee's cheek and she watched Mrs. Lee's car pull away from the building and drive off into the distance.  She couldn't handle the silence and was certain that just like everyone else that had any idea of what she was and what she had done, he was going to leave her.  Leave her like her mom left her with her dad.  Like Doctor Kwon left her with another doctor who seemed to always enjoy strapping her to the bed in the isolation room and watch her struggle.  Like how Chanyeol had left her once before.  Minhee heard the bed creak and waited for the sound of the door opening and closing.

 

But it never came, in it's place was Chanyeol's arms firmly wrapped around her shoulders.  "I love you."  He whispered into her ear, his warm breath making her shiver as it hit her skin.  The composure that she was wearing like a costume was stripped away and she broke down.  Tears freely flowing and messy sobs, she clung to the front of hiss shirt for dear life, as he showered her with kisses and it's going to be okays.  He rubbed circles on her back and wiped away the drops from where they landed on her bare skin.  Minhee finally got that feeling of stability that she had never known, and for once believed that it was going to get better.