Yah!

Untouchable

I sat on one of the many empty train seats, quietly looking through the window at the passing trees as the train moved towards Hongdae. Feeling my phone vibrate, I pulled it out of my pocket to look at the screen where a notification popped up reminding me of dinner. I’d agreed to meet HoWon for dinner at some hole-in-the-wall restaurant I’ve heard a few of my classmates mention. We both wanted to set some rules and boundaries for our upcoming living arrangements. I must’ve thanked him at least twenty times through our text messages late last night. If I could, I would move into a place of my own and not have to worry about sharing an apartment with a man. Even if I had known HoWon since we were young, it was still awkward to have to live with him; HoWon had always given off this weird vibe whenever I was around him, it would send chills up my back. Regardless of how I felt around him, he was gracious enough to let me live with him and for that I was incredibly thankful.

‘Six street, Hongdae’

The electronic voice startled me out of my thoughts, making me get up quickly before the doors could close.  Slipping my hands into my pockets I made my way up the streets until I arrived at the café door. The sight before me making me raise an eyebrow once I’d entered the sweet smelling business. Yongguk stood behind the counter in a tan apron with the red mercy logo across the front, dressed in a grey-collared sweater that he had pushed up to his elbows as to not get it dirty, his fingers harshly pushing on a button of the cash register that had to be the latte button, which hadn’t been working well the past few days. I bit my lip when he gave the exasperated customer a gummy smile before continuing to press it, a little more forcefully. Smiling at the customers seated at the tables, I walked calmly behind the counter, putting my bag down on an empty stool beside the pick-up counter. Taking a few steps toward him, I only found it mildly comical that he had already stained his dark-wash jeans on the side of his pant-leg.

“Can you hurry up?” the lady finally snapped before her eyes widened “I-I me-” she broke off with a small incline of her head “Sorry”

“You have to plug the numbers in” I stated making him turn towards me, I ignored his greeting smile and moved a hand around him to plug in the corresponding numbers to the order.

“Sorry about that” Yongguk apologized to the lady “your order will be ready soon”

“Yes, sir” she replied

Turning away from the register I grabbed my bag and slowly entered the backroom to place my stuff down and grab an apron. My mind finally realizing I would have to work with Yongguk, at least for the time being. Walking, towards him as soon as I finished tying the apron I decided to ask him.

“Are SunJi and Hyohee coming in soon?” because I don’t think I could handle being around him at all today. My mood had already darkened since yesterday. I needed someone to blame for yesterday, and even if I knew he wasn’t exactly the right person to blame, I feel like he still had some part in it.

“SunJi has a class” he informed me “and Hyohee took a sick day; though I haven’t seen Daehyun either so…” he trailed off making me blush at his implication “You don’t mind working with me do you?” he smirked and brushed past me.

It’s not like I had a choice. For the most part we didn’t speak, it was lunch and there was way too many people to even get a word in if I wanted to…which I didn’t. But surprisingly we set a fast and effective pace.  An hour later and we were still busy and tripping over ourselves to serve the onslaught of customers. The extra work served to deflect my mood, but it wasn’t enough to make me completely forget yesterday. I knew Yongguk had noticed my saddening attitude because he kept sending glances my way.

“Caramel, Caramel, Caramel” I repeated tiredly, lightly leaning my head onto the side of the warm cappuccino machine as I dropped three pumps of caramel syrup into the disposable cup full of coffee. Realizing, without much care, that Yongguk had turned to look at me again. 

“Are you alright?” he asked suddenly, but sincerely, casting a side-long glance as his hands busied themselves with preparing an order.

“I’m fine” I mumble softly, not in the mood to share anything, especially not with him.

“KiYeon” he called making me sigh and turn from the cappuccino machine, his deep stare freezing me in place

What?” I asked with a bit of irritation

“What’s wrong?” he asked low enough for just me to hear.

Shaking my head and turning from him, I ignored his questions to hand the customer her specialty order “Oh!” I cried and took a step back when I nearly ran into Zelo “Seriously kid, make an announcement next time” I smiled softly and placed the cup on the counter

“mianhe, noona” Zelo bowed before moving to the backroom.

Walking up to the cash register and smiling politely at the elderly man I rung up his order before letting Zelo, now wearing his own apron, take over the cash register. I waited for Yongguk to move from the espresso machine to start making the medium cup of Columbian blend coffee, my concentration only breaking when I heard Zelo let out a loud laugh, looking over I watched him nod happily at one of the many college students that could be seen walking around Hongdae at this hour. “Have they called yet?” I wondered out loud when Yongguk walked over to rinse the blender

“Who?” he asked and followed my gaze before shaking his head “It’s too soon”

I bit my lip and removed the cup from the machine when it was done pouring the coffee in; grabbing the cocoa powder for the marocchino, I tapped the powder into the cup three times carefully “But he’ll get in won’t he?” I hoped he did; Zelo deserved an education.

“I hope so” Yongguk replied, turning the faucet off and moving to the display fridge.

“Noona” Zelo nearly sent the coffee spilling over my hand “Sorry! Sorry.” he apologized and took the cup from me and handed it over to the elder man who had been waiting for it “Can you make me two small Chai Latte’s?” he asked, moving to the pastry display case to place four yakgwa’s in a take away bag.

I grabbed the two small sized cups and walked towards the milk steamers.

The loud sound of the blender starting made me cringe as Yongguk started it; his arm brushing mine to hold onto the top of the blender. Any other day, I would have found it funny that Bang Yongguk was currently serving customers pastries and making smoothies, but my nerves and the stress of yesterday was taking its toll on me. I felt his gaze turn to watch me fix the honey, cinnamon and black tea into the cup before steaming the milk “What Yongguk-sshi?” I mumble, cursing my weak sounding voice

“You’re worrying me KiYeon. Do you need a break?”

“I’m fine.” I take the steamed milk off of the steamer; I turned away and poured the milk into the cups before putting the tops on and handing them over to the customers

“Are you sure?” he asked making me glance up at him; his dark eyes looking into mine intently, daring me to lie to him.

 I turned away after giving him a small nod before continuing on with the fast paced day.

 

-LaterLaterLaterLaterLater-

 

By the time my shift was over my feet ached and I just wanted to go home and sleep before having to meet HoWon “I just want to sleep” I mumble to myself as I slip the apron off and walk to the backroom only for it to open and reveal Yongguk holding my coat.

“Come with me” he demanded after throwing my apron over a chair and hastily slipping on my coat for me.

“Yongguk!” I protested “Wh-“

“Yah! Help Zelo until I get back” he yelled at a surprised Himchan who had come in twenty minutes ago and sat comfortably at a window seat.

“What do I look like?” Himchan spread his arms

“A bus boy” Yongguk let my arm go to throw the apron at him making me laugh in amusement at the look on Himchan’s face; he turned to me with a smile and grabbed my arm “Come on”

“What-” I stumbled before regaining my balance “Yah!” I cried as he pulled me outside and continued pulling me along behind him, before he finally slowed his pace down. I pulled my arm from his grasp lightly and contemplated going back to the café “Where are you taking me?” I sighed, realizing running away would just make him come after me anyway “I thought your kidnapping escapades were over” I glared causing his lips to twitch upwards before he sent me a secretive glance.

“You haven’t eaten at all today” he responded simply

Furrowing my eyebrows I looked at his side profile curiously. I hadn’t, but I didn’t think he’d even notice “I’m not very hungry” I told him

He stopped at a crosswalk and turned to me, his hand reaching towards me, enveloping my smaller hand into his; I looked at our joined hands, my arm tingling at his touch as he smoothed his thumb over my knuckles softly “You have to eat something; I know there there’s something wrong today, but you should eat something….oppa’s worried” he told me sincerely

I swallowed thickly, my eyes still focused on his thumb; he was right, but why did he even care. Glancing up into his concerned gaze, I had the sudden need to re-assure him as my hand subconsciously squeezed his.

“I’m alright.” I said simply and then pulled away from his touch, aching for it, but not wanting it at the same time. Why was he making me feel like this.

“You should still eat” he insisted

“Really Yongguk, I’m alright; and I’m not hungry”

“Come on” he took a hold of my hand again “Nothing fancy, just dukbokki” he tugged at my hand when the crosswalk signal turned white.

“Fine” I mumbled “Just dukbokki”

“And some ice cream” he added and smiled widely before tugging me along

Yongguk!” I glared

“Ice cream is good for the soul” he reasoned

“It’s freezing out here” I noted his lack of coat.

“Please?” he squeezed my hand after my third attempt at pulling away

“Aish, fine” giving up on trying to escape his iron grip, I walked in step beside him silently, letting him guide me towards wherever it was he was taking me.

--

A/N:

Hi readers & Subscribers! Thank you so much for reading I know it's been long. School is stressful and keeps me busy. On the bright side I actually have what is to be chapter 13 written!! This chapter was actually supposed to be longer and I cut it off. So I'll be updating by Friday, maybe even tomorrow (No seriously I will ^.^)

P.S.: Sorry for making you wait so long!!!! And sorry if it's a little crappy :(

- Kyute19