Chapter Fourty-Two

Hogwarts: A History ✫*゚Completed
Falling Forwards

Franziska invites Evie and Fitzwilliam to join her and Tonks on their Valentine's Hogsmeade trip, which both agree to. If she's honest Franziska is surprised that Fitzwilliam agrees at all considering it's three women, one of whom he doesn't really know, but all it takes is a bit of wheedling from Evie and he caves. Franziska is glad for it - he needs to get out more in her opinion.

Tonks invites Leona and Aidan as well but the former shiftily declares she already has plans (which Franziska is hoping don't involve stalking people on their dates but she's not optimistic on that front) and Aidan cites a need to study. Tonks complains at him a bit but he remains unmoved and she eventually gives up.

"Just the four of us then. I'm going to feel like a fifth wheel." She complains as they wait for Evie and Fitzwilliam. "I even asked Cian this morning to come with us, considering he's lost his buddy to the love bug with Jemma, but nope. He's staying to work on production or some other such nonsense, though without his band I dunno how that's supposed to work."

"You don't have to have the group immediately on-hand while composing." Franziska responds thoughtlessly, and then blinks. She's been sitting with Cian and Donaghan more often during meals since Jemma is sitting with them more but she hadn't realized she'd been internalizing Cian's music rants well enough to parrot out the many facts he provides. "It helps though." She adds after what is definitely too long of a pause.

Tonks either doesn't notice or tactfully doesn't comment - Franziska is leaning towards the former of the two if she's honest - and a moment later it doesn't matter either way as Evie rounds the corner, dragging Fitzwilliam along behind her.

"Hey guys! Sorry we're late, Amelia was fretting about stuff that I still don't totally get and so I was trying to help but I don't think I did? Anyway, we're here! Let's do this! Into the slush my friends!"

Tonks laughs and accepts Evie's arm, linking together at the elbows. "I changed my mind, this is going to be fun!" She declares as she grabs Franziska into the chain while Evie does the same with Fitzwilliam.

They end up having to unlink rather quickly when Tonks inevitably trips over something that's invisible to the rest of them and nearly drags them all down into the half-melting February snow cover.

Franziska is more than used to Tonks' horrific balance so she manages to extract herself and avoid falling into the snow, and Fitzwilliam is far enough away that he manages to stumble backwards away from the disaster zone without tripping himself. Evie unfortunately ends up on her knees in the slush, though she's laughing.

"What just happened?" She asks once they've all caught their breath - whether due to laughing or the shock of the near fall.

"I'm a bit clumsy." Tonks admits sheepishly.

"A bit is an understatement. You'll see by the end of today." Franziska warns with a grin.

Fitzwilliam takes a step away from the Metamorphagus as she shrugs cheerfully, her bubblegum pink hair matching the pink of her cheeks. "It's a gift."

It's thankfully a gift that doesn't throw them into anymore snowbanks on the rest of the walk over to Hogsmeade. Tonks and Evie chat eagerly about a variety of topics - mostly classes as far as Franziska can tell though she really can't keep up - while Fitzwilliam and Franziska mostly just follow behind them.

"Butterbeer first!" Tonks  declares when they arrive in the village. "I'm freezing."

"Because you're soaking." Fitzwilliam supplies. "Why didn't you dry yourself off?"

"I'm still sixteen, duh. No magic outside of school until March." Tonks explains as they step into the Three Broomsticks and are greeted by a cheery but frazzled Rosmerta.

Franziska blinks. "I somehow didn't register that you're the youngest one here." She declares as Evie casts a drying spell on Tonks. "But you weren't in the Apparition class so that would make sense."

Tonks laughs. "I'm tall so I think a lot of people forget I'm one of the younger ones in our year." She grins. "Henry was really surprised to see me in class when our Apparition lessons started last week, it was pretty funny. I mean, his girlfriend wasn't impressed but everyone else was cracking up."

Franziska assumes it must have been the sort of situation where you had to be there as she can't quite see what would be so amusing about it. "Sounds like you've got a good class at least?" She offers. "Although, don't you have most of the Slytherins in your group? How is that?"

Tonks makes a face. "That black girl - Princess or whatever - is really loud and really aggressive and it eats into practice time a lot. But otherwise they keep to themselves so it's not so bad. Kiera is taking it with me, and Jemma is in our class too though she can't take the test. So it's a good bunch, I'm enjoying it."

They get one of the booths and go through several rounds of butterbeer as they chat about Apparition classes and then move on to more general school topics, eventually ending up on the Weasley twins and their sudden laying low after a full semester of consistent pranking.

"I'm worried personally. They must be planning something." Fitzwilliam mutters. Franziska nods in agreement.

Evie shakes her head. "Are you kidding? That's what makes it exciting! I bet they do something grand right at the end of the year - a big send-off, you know? Wouldn't that be so cool?" She beams.

Tonks laughs. "They'd have to do something bigger every year until they graduated though." She points out. "It wouldn't be very practical."

"They are only eleven, and they've spent all year pulling pranks on everyone with no apparent regard for their own safety. Or anyone else's. They don't strike me as very practical." Franziska grumbles, mostly good-naturedly.

"Well then obviously you've never pulled one yourself! Practical jokes have it right there in the name!" Evie jokes cheerfully. "Seriously though, can we go to Zonko's this time? I know you have some weird vendetta against pranks-"

"They aren't funny!" Franziska insists. "They've only ever caused disruptions. Really, even in our class we used to have a ton of people who pulled them but only Remi does that anymore and he's also the least mature person in the class."

"That's not inaccurate." Tonks concedes. "But pranks themselves aren't immature or harmful, it's all in how you use them. I'm with Evie, we should go to Zonko's!"

Fitzwilliam looks downright terrified of the idea and Franziska attempts to dig her heels in.

"Then you two can go and we'll go to Honeydukes. We can meet at the post office, I need to mail Rosa."

Tonks frowns. "Boo, you're seventeen already Frannie, and you've never pulled a prank! You've got to!"

"Come on Fitz, I'll even let you have final say on what we get~" Evie wheedles, poking Fitzwilliam's arm repeatedly.

Fitzwilliam still looks nervous but Franziska can tell he's starting to crack. So she doubles down.

"No means no - you don't have to pull a prank Tonks, that's just peer pressure."

Tonks sighs. "Oh fine, you guys go do your thing and we'll do ours, whatever." She grumbles. "Just trying to have some fun, try something new. You're only here for one more year Frannie, what if you discover you actually like Zonko's and then never get to come back because you live all the way in Germany?"

Franziska knows exactly what Tonks is trying to do.

She hates that it works.

"Okay, fine. Zonko's, then the post office, then Honeydukes." She sighs and Evie and Tonks cheer. Fitzwilliam still looks nervous and Evie slings an arm around him.

"Don't you worry Fitzy, I'll protect you." She teases. The four of them make the short trek across the street through the light snow flurry that had started while they'd been warming up in the Three Broomsticks.

Franziska hasn't actually ever been inside of Zonko's and it's somehow both exactly how she'd imagined but also not quite as bad.

"There are usually more people in here, but I guess most people don't think Zonko's is the most romantic Valentine's date spot." Evie observes cheerfully. "Which means we don't have to deal with the crowds! Nice day for browsing."

"Right? We thought the same."

Tonks immediately loops an arm around the newcomer. "Kiera! How's the date going?"

Kiera grins and waves behind her where Tyler is studying a display rack. "Pretty good I think, though you can ask Ty his opinion, it might be different. I don't think it will be but you never know." She laughs. "How about you?"

The two girls begin chattering away and Franziska excuses herself to browse the shop's inventory, curious despite herself to see if there is anything she might actually find amusing.

She fails on that front, but does discover a display of non-explodable luminescent balloons which catch her interest. She plucks a box off the shelf and turns it to read the instructions and try to figure out why the honestly pretty, lit up balloons would be sold in a joke shop.

"Ooh, if you're getting those I'd recommend the belt to go with, it helps a ton. There are ten in that box." Tyler recommends, causing Franziska to nearly drop the box in her surprise.

"Shouldn't you be with Kiera?" Franziska asks when she's recovered enough to speak.

Tyler laughs. "Dating doesn't mean attached at the hip. And it's only a first date anyway, we agreed no pressure despite the fact it's technically Valentine's weekend. And since we both like different styles of prank it makes sense to split up." He declares, listing each point proudly. "And Kiera suggesting all that just made me more confident that this is gonna work."

Franziska laughs slightly. "So you agree that the date is going well." She concludes, smiling slightly. Despite the unexpected new couple she's happy for her friends.

Tyler beams. "Maizie told me over break - gosh do you even remember my oldest sister? She graduated our second year, was a Hufflepuff prefect for two years? Anyway, she's the one who told me I ought to ask Kiera out and she was right. Always trust your sisters, they know best." He grins. "Except Donnie's. They told him to move on from Jemma and that turned out just fine didn't it?"

"Depends on how you define 'fine'." Kiera comments, walking over to the pair along with Tonks. Franziska idly wonders where Evie and Fitzwilliam have gotten to and hopes her female Ravenclaw friend doesn't traumatize her male one while they're unsupervised.

"What do you mean by that?" Franziska asks, deciding she's more worried by the potential of what Kiera might say than the potential of Fitzwilliam being freaked out by Zonko's.

To her surprise it's Tyler who responds. "We don't know for sure but it seems like Evera and Drake might not know yet? Again, I don't know for sure, but we had the Quidditch pitch after Gryffindor yesterday and I overheard them talking when they left. They seem to think that the reason they apparently haven't seen much of her outside of class in weeks is because she's studying so much."

Franziska chews her lower lip uncertainly. "That doesn't... guarantee that they don't know?" She says slowly, though in her gut she has a feeling Tyler is correct. She knows Jemma now and knows the blonde girl probably doesn't even know where to start with telling her friends about the new development in her love life. Especially considering she never really patched things up properly with Drake in the aftermath of their breakup.

"Still they must know now right? She came with Donaghan to Hogsmeade for Valentine's weekend." Tonks points out. "Jeez, this romance thing is more complicated than I figured. Why is just being forthright so hard?"

"You're asking the wrong people." Kiera laughs. "I think all three of us have always been pretty forward."

Franziska can't help but laugh - Kiera isn't wrong with that observation at all. "I'lll probably talk to Jemma about it tonight. The longer she waits the worse that fallout is going to be."

"Fallout from what? Ooh, are you getting those balloons Frannie? Good choice." Evie and Fitzwilliam finally reappear, with the later thankfully looking minimally terrified and carrying a Zonko's bag.

Franziska looks down at the forgotten box still in her hands. "That's what everyone has said but I still don't know what they do exactly." She replies, opting to move the conversation away from Jemma for the moment. And she really is curious about the balloons.

"They're unbreakable and they bounce around all lit up. You want an easy, harmless way to drive Filch nuts they're you're go-to." Evie explains with a grin that's entirely too knowing. "Conversely the cats love batting them around which is also super cute. If you want some non-prank alternatives."

Franziska glances down at the box in her hand, and then puts it back on the shelf. "I'll think about it. We've got other Hogsmeade trips, I can always get it later."

"Boo, be one with the pranks." Tonks teases, and promptly knocks over a display of Ever-Bashing Boomerangs and the group makes a very hasty retreat before the twenty-something running the register can notice and make them round up the violent toys.

"I think that was a little too close to being one with the pranks." Kiera teases once they're all back out in the show, panting. "Well, we'll leave you lot to your shopping, Tyler here owes me a butterbeer."

They wave as the new couple depart, and then Evie eagerly steers them all towards Honeydukes.

Franziska walks next to Fitzwilliam and eyes the bag he's holding. "Evie didn't bully you into buying any of that, did she?" She double checks, not putting it past her overeager friend to have unintentionally done so.

Fitzwilliam shakes his head. "No, she was good. I saw a couple interesting things that seem harmless so I figured why not? I'd already gone into the store, may as well go all in."

Franziska grins. "Evie is rubbing off on you." She notes with amusement. She doesn't add that she thinks it rather suits him.

Honeydukes is thankfully much less chaotic than Zonko's had been. The group of four all purchase tooth-rotting amounts of sweets and immediately break them open, eating as they start walking back towards the castle.

"Not bad for being alone on Valentine's." Tonks jokes around a licorice wand.

Evie hums, popping a Bertie Bott's every flavor bean and immediately gagging. "Garlic." She announces, "Not the worst I've gotten but man that's unpleasant."

The walk back is fun, and Franziska is quite happy at how the day had gone. Not bad for being single on Valentine's at all.

The March Hogsmeade trip is scheduled for the second weekend of the month, and Ana isn't too proud to admit she counts the days. She's already confirmed with Alec when and where they're meeting, and she's gotten to know his personal owl Inti quite well due to their correspondence no longer being quite so long distance.

Amelia has been openly suspicious of the letters but Ana has provided no answers and hasn't bothered to keep up her old cover story for the owls either. If Hogsmeade goes well (and considering their letters have continued comfortably for over a month she's optimistic on that front) she'll have a serious boyfriend and won't have to bother with half-truths anymore.

Finally the day arrives and Ana is one of the first out of the Great Hall after breakfast, Jerome hot on her heels.

"Okay, you're okay? No stress, no nerves? No second guessing?"

Ana smirks slightly. "I think you're more worried about this than I am." She points out as they exit the castle and head towards the village. "Alec and I have been talking for two years, more even. It's just the next step of the relationship."

Jerome looks unimpressed, though the impact is ruined slightly by the fact he has to dart around a puddle of half-melted slush. It's surprisingly warm for early March but Ana isn't complaining at all - she can get away with not wearing her winter cloak which she rather hates due to how heavy it is and how it makes her look like a formless lump.

"Isn't this also the first time you've seen him face-to-face in two years?" He points out when he recovers his balance.

Ana rolls her eyes. "Yes but I don't understand why you think that's supposed to change things. He's still Alec. Do you freak out seeing Shaun after breaks?"

Jerome flushes. "Okay one, I told you that in confidence so don't go throwing it back at me and two I'll have you know I'm spending the Hogsmeade trip with someone who I think actually likes me and I actually like him but I can't say because he's not out."

Ana glances over at her blushing friend, eyebrow raised. "Sorry, didn't mean it like that. And congratulations, I won't push. You're sure he's gay though?"

Jerome shrugs. "I mean, I think he likes me at least. I couldn't say if he doesn't like both. Guys and girls I mean."

"That was a grammatical mess and you ought to be ashamed of yourself." Ana can't resist the slight mockery, and Jerome lays off about dates, instead laughing and then switching to chatter about the History of Magic presentation he's working on.

They reach Hogsmeade rather quickly and are among the first to do so. Jerome waves her off and saunters away towards the shrieking shack, while Ana meanders her way over to the Hogsmeade station. Alec isn't taking the Express, obviously, but there are several Floo and Apparition points at the station as well. Scrivenshaft's is also right across the street so she decides to wait there for the decided on meeting time, which isn't for another thirty minutes.

She examines a display of new quills and even debates buying a self-inking one for her father, who she knows often forgets to refill his inkwell. Ultimately she leaves without making any purchases, reasoning that the quill isn't going anywhere and it would be an annoyance to have to keep track of during the day.

Alec hasn't yet arrived at the station, though Ana isn't surprised as she's still about eight minutes early. Not that she's counting.

She sits on one of the benches positioned near the apparation points - she figures that will be his most likely point of entry - and waits, fidgeting half-heartedly with her pendant as she does.

It only takes three minutes before Alec arrives, and she would never admit it but Ana actually stops breathing for a moment.

She really hasn't seen him in two years, and she hadn't realized exactly how different he'd look. Or how she'd apparently been remembering his height incorrectly. Or-

Jerome was right, I should have been more nervous.

And then he spots her and the fact that he looks as stunned as she feels puts a bit of wind back in her sails. So she waves.

He blinks and then grins, walking the short distance over to her.

"Hey, it's been a while in person, hasn't it?" He observes with a slight laugh. "You look really good." He glances down slightly and smirks and Ana flushes. He couldn't possibly-

"You're still wearing the necklace."

Good. I would hate to have to hex him on our first date.

She touches the pendant lightly. "I've grown rather attached to it." She says, smiling slightly. "Remind me to show you my Animagus form before the end of the day." She shifts uncertainly in place hands clasped behind her back. "So, where were you thinking we could go? Three Broomsticks?"

Alec shakes his head. "Actually, I was thinking the Hog's Head. It's a bit run down, I know, but it will be much quieter than anywhere else in Hogsmeade today. Easier to talk."

Ana nods thoughtfully. He has a good point, and as she's legally old enough to drink they can no longer stop her from entering the premises. "Alright, that sounds good." The start walking together towards the other end of the village. "The trip wasn't too bad?"

Alec shakes his head. "From London to here is nothing, though the Portkey from Peru was a doozy. Honestly that's half the reason I'm so rarely home, I absolutely despise taking those things."

Ana glances over at him in amusement. "And here I though Curse-Breakers weren't scared of anything."

He laughs. "Scared no, but avoidable discomfort should be avoided at all costs in my opinion."

"Fair enough. How are things at the dig site? Everyone get back safely?" Ana thinks to ask as they reach the pub and Alec holds the door for her.

Alec nods. "The outbreak was further south than our head quarters but we're all on paid vacation time until things clear up a bit more. I should be back to work by the summer since our immediate area wasn't affected." He assures her. "How about you, how are your classes going?"

Ana shrugs. "There's a lot of work, obviously, but I honestly don't understand how people taking fewer than at least six classes are spending their time. I'm taking eight and I still have some free time." She pauses to think more carefully on each individual class. "I will say that Ancient Runes is starting to get harder now so I'll likely study ahead over the summer break in order to maintain my grades."

Alec nods, settling in one of the corner booths. Ana slides in next to him and takes a look around the pub as Alec responds, sharing some anecdotes from work about how important knowing Ancient Runes is for the job.

It's even more dodgy than she'd expected, though it's also emptier with only one other patron sitting at the end of the bar furthest from her and Alec. The figure is hunched over so she can't make out a face or even assign a gender due to the baggy robes the patron is wearing.

"It's sort of unwritten law that everyone minds everyone else's business in here." Alec interrupts himself when he sees her wandering gaze. "But I told you it would be more private."

Ana nods, turning back towards Alec. "You weren't wrong. So what's on the menu here? Anything you would recommend?"

Alec hums. "Well it's been a while but I seem to recall a pork dish that waas surprisingly good despite it's appearance."

Ana skims over the menu. "I'll try that then, and perhaps a small glass of firewhisky as well." She adds boldly. She's legal and on a date with a twenty-three year old who probably drinks regularly. She can handle a glass.

Alec grins. "Alright then, I'll go put in the order."

Ana sits at the table watching Alec chat with the bartender, an old and rather disagreeable looking man who looks less than pleased to see Alec which Ana finds amusing. After a minute or so Alec returns, beaming.

"Missed that old bastard, I used to spend time here with my mates back in school. We'd cause a right rukus and old Aberforth likes his quiet."

Ana tries to picture what Alec might have been like in school but she can't imagine it, and says as much. "I mean, you certainly have an attitude but adults seem to like you a fair bit these days."

"You say adults like we aren't among them." Alec points out. "But you're right, I've learned some diplomacy, though it's easiest with purebloods. Other people just don't seem to have the same grasp of manners that our families do."

Ana hums. "Most of them yes, though my friend Jerome Boot's parents were quite well behave at the New Year's party."

Alec's eyes darken slightly at the mention of the party. "I'm sorry I couldn't be there. This year for sure."

Ana smiles. "I'm glad you agree because I would have been rather irritated if you decided to stay in Peru over the break again, especially considering I'll be home for the holidays."

Alec grins. "Bold of you to assume that would make a difference." He teases lightly and Ana rolls her eyes.

"It's not an assumption." She replies flatly, though she smirks slightly. "I know for a fact my presence makes a difference for you."

The drinks arrive before the food and Ana requests a glass of water as well. "Mother always says to have twice as much water as wine when drinking. I presume it shouldn't be too different for firewhisky."

Alec nods. "Your mother is a smart woman. Never drink on an empty stomach either, I learned that one the hard way." He grins. "You're lucky I'm here to teach you all these things - you can avoid the pitfalls early drinking often brings."

Ana just rolls her eyes again, attempting to suppress her smile.

Conversation is thankfully easy - she talks about her classes and he shares stories of his coworkers and their dig site. Their food comes and the chatter dies down slightly, and Ana finally takes her first sip of the firewhisky and immediately winces and coughs.

"It burns." She observes once she's chased the drink with a few swallows of water. "The taste isn't terrible, but I'm not sure it's quite worth it."

"You have to get used to it, and everyone has their drink preferences. Firewhisky might be a bit too strong for your taste." Alec suggests. "I admit it's not my favorite either, though I'll have a shot with the guys every now and then."

Ana shrugs. "I'm sure I'll find something at one of our parent's parties."

Alec pays for their food nearly an hour and a half later and the two take to meandering around the village as they continue their conversation. Ana spots Jerome a little after one though she doesn't stop to say hello knowing his parter likely woudln't appreciate the interruption. Not that she sees the mysterious boy anywhere.

She does end up stopped when Amelia waves her over to where the other Ravenclaw and her Hufflepuff boyfriend Henry are seated just outside Madame Puddifoot's.

"Friend of yours?" Alec asks, and Ana knows he's taking note of Amelia's Ravenclaw tie.

"Dorm mate." She responds lowly as they approach the bench. "Hello Amelia, Henry. Enjoying the weather?"

Amelia waves vaguely in lieu of an answer and fixes sharp, analytical eyes onto Alec. "Hello Ana, I don't think we've met your friend."

Ana recognizes the look on Alec's face - it's the one he takes on when he's about to turn on the charm and for the first time she realizes exactly how handsome it makes him look. She suppresses a grin and glances over at Amelia, curious to see how her roommate will react.

Sure enough Amelia is blushing slightly, though clearly trying to pretend she isn't.

"I'm Alec MacMillan, my younger brother Alasdair is in your year." He takes Amelia's hand and bows slightly, and the flush across the other girl's cheeks gets darker. "Ana is a sort of mentee of mine, perhaps she's mentioned me?"

"Um, I'm familiar with the letters." Amelia clears . "It's good to meet you, we all thought Ana had a secret boyfriend or something. So, um, you're a Curse Breaker then?"

Ana looks over at Henry, who looks rather upset as he watches his girlfriend awkwardly attempt to make conversation with Alec, blushing all the while. Ana decides to take pity on him - plus it's no longer all that amusing to watch Amelia tripping over her own tongue.

"Alec, we really should be going." She prompts lightly. "See you back in the dorms Amelia, and good to see you Henry."

Henry nods distractedly, still eyeing Alec almost nastily though from her limited contact with Amelia's boyfriend Ana is pretty sure it isn't in him to really be mean.

Alec nods politely to both Amelia and Henry before taking Ana's arm and letting her steer him away from the couple.

"Not to seem presumptive but I think that relationship might be heading towards a break up." Alec comments once they're out of earshot. "That Amelia seems interesting. Should I have clarified the romantic aspect of our relationship?"

Ana waves vaguely. "I don't mind either way. When you meet Jerome and Shaun they can know but Amelia has been rather pushy on that front so I rather like the idea of making her wait for it a bit longer." She pauses slightly to glace up at him, smirking. "So there's a romantic aspect to our relationship?"

"I believe you're the one who started it." He responds, just as smooth.

Ana shakes her head. "Fair enough. Today hasn't changed  your opinions? We haven't seen each other in person in quite some time after all." She points out. "It hasn't for me." She adds as an afterthought.

"Well I feel rather comfortable as well, so it seems there's nothing to be concerned about." Alec replies, and Ana smiles.

The rest of the afternoon is comfortable, and Alec takes her hand at some point and she doesn't protest. She sees him off from the station and then purchases the quill for her father before walking back.

Jerome waves her down at the entrance to the village and Ana waits for him to hurry over so they can walk back together.

"Good date? You've got a boyfriend now?" He prompts eagerly.

Ana hums. "I believe so. We agreed to not label it until I've graduated - the age difference could be cause for some concern as long as I'm in school." She looks over at Jerome hums in acknowledgment. "And you? How was your day?"

Jerome grins. "Went pretty well all things considered. He's sitll super closeted but definitely into guys." He blushes and Ana rolls her eyes.

"No more details, thank you. But congratulations."

Jerome laughs and they walk back to the castle, content to remain quiet and enjoy the weather and each other's company in the lingering happiness from the trip.

Slytherin had defeated Ravenclaw in their February match, a disappointing end to Myr and Amanda's second date which had otherwise been just as enjoyable as their first one. But on the upside it's only shortly thereafter that it clears up enough to start flying comfortably, so Myr follows up on his promise to go flying with her.

She's a bit shaky, clinging to the broom with both hands and flying a few meters lower than Myr is used to and quite a bit slower, but she's laughing and that's really what's important.

"How you do this while swinging a bat around is beyond me." She shouts over to him about an hour into the flight. "I can barely keep myself straight as is."

Myr shrugs, acutely aware of the fact he's not using his hands or arms at all to balance. "It takes practice. We did a lot of exercises on the reserves team and Laurel - the Captain before Charlie, did you go here before she graduated? Anyway, Laurel made sure we were in really good shape."

"That I've noticed." Amanda says flirtatiously, though she blushes as she does. "And I honestly don't know if I knew Laurel or not, I wasn't really into Quidditch until last year. I mean," She quickly corrects, "Into the non-Ravenclaw teams. I watched most of the games."

"What about Melody? Did you not go to support the Hufflepuff teams too?" Myr asks curiously. He hasn't gotten to talk to Melody all that much but he has managed to learn that she's a massive Quidditch nerd who has hopes of being the next Quidditch announcer after Leona graduates.

"She's the one who got me more interested - she's constantly stealing dad's radio to listen to the games when we're at home, it drives him nuts." Amanda laughs.

Myr grins. "You know I've never actually seen, or listened to, a game outside of school. Our radio doesn't get the wizarding channels."

Amanda blinks. "I keep forgetting you're Muggleborn." She admits. "You should come over for a game some time! OOH!" She suddenly sits up in excitement and nearly throws herself off the borrowed school broom in the process. Myr moves to catch her but she balances herself without assistance. "Whoops. But seriously it's the Quidditch World Cup this summer! Turkey is hosting, we should listen to it together! Seriously, professional games are a whole other level from student ones. England didn't make the cut but Scotland's team did so I'm going to root for them."

Myr laughs. "You're a terrible Brit, are you supposed to hate Scotland on principle?"

Amanda sticks her tongue out. "You're from Wales, what do you care?" She teases right back.

The next Quidditch game Myr is on the field facing off against Hufflepuff and Amanda is sitting with Holly and Percy Weasley in the Gryffindor stands happily waving a support banner she'd charmed herself.

"Alright team, Slytherin is back in the running so we need a solid win against Hufflepuff today." Charlie instructs firmly. "I want communication out there, we've been suffering in that area in practice recently." He looks suspiciously over at Evera and Drake, neither of whom acknowledges the implications.

Myr sighs silently. Ever since their Hufflepuff friend Jemma had revealed her new relationship - with help from a couple of her Hufflepuff friends and her new boyfriend - Drake has been aggressively moody and withdrawn, and Evera, while not nearly as bad, has also become rather pouty and it's impacted their game.

Combine that with the fact that Remi has never been good at teamwork and their entire lineup of Chasers is a cumulative weakest link, putting extra pressure on the rest of them to be at the very top of their game. Oliver especially has been stressing heavily - Percy had worriedly mentioned to Myr a week before that his roommate had been coming in late and leaving early to practice almost every single day and could Myr possibly talk to Oliver about that because it's really not healthy and his grades are probably being affected.

Myr had followed up with Oliver who had promised to limit his extracurricular practices to the weekends and immediately before and after their team practices after complaining that Percy worried too much.

Myr isn't sure Oliver completely kept the promise but at least he seems to be alert as they wait in the change room for Leona to announce their team.

He jogs onto the field when his name is called, broom gripped in one hand and the other raised in a half wave towards the Gryffindor stands. He catches sight of Amanda's banner and grins slightly, probably blushing and thankful that it's bright enough that it won't be noticeable.

At least, not to anyone in the stands. Fiona gives him a knowing look as they mount their brooms while Charlie and the Hufflepuff captain shake hands.

"I know you all know this but events this year have made the reminder necessary - I don't want to see any foul play up there." Madame Hooch warns, before tossing the Quaffle up and starting the game.

Myr has taken the oversight position, hovering above the action while Fiona covers below. He darts around, eyes peeled for the bludgers which are being oddly evasive in the first few minutes of the game.

He does spare a few glances towards the stands where Amanda has lowered the banner and is staring enraptured as the Chasers race back and forth across the pitch, apparently keeping up a steady stream of commentary to Percy and Holly, the former of whom is replying sporadically and the latter of whom just looks incredibly amused.

"Wow, Sylvester and Jarvis are way off their game today, Longbottom is actually out flying both of them." Leona says, sounding giddy. "Come on Macavoy! You can intercept that- Sorry professor. Yes Professor, I'll stop providing assistance to the better team."

Myr rolls his eyes and refocuses, trying to tune out the announcer who always somehow manages to be louder during Hufflepuff matches.

He finally spots one of the bludgers as it's redirected by one of the Hufflepuff beaters towards Evera and he dives down to intercept, passing it to Fiona who fires it off at the Hufflepuff Keeper just as Evera makes a shot on the center hoop.

"Nice!" Charlie shouts to him with a grin. Myr personally thinks it would have been better if Evera had actually made the goal, but he shoots back a smile anyway. It had been pretty good teamwork, even if it didn't end up paying off.

He glances over at Amanda again who's now standing up and shouting excitedly while Percy and Holly both attempt to drag her backwards away from the edge of the stands. Myr laughs and swoops up, once again patrolling over the game, showing off slightly as he weaves in and out of the other players to get to the bludgers.

Fiona helps him out, sending him several bludgers to redirect and at one point, when they're comfortably ahead by almost a hundred points, gives him a rather challenging one which he barely manages to catch. Charlie shouts at them to quit messing around and they get serious again but Myr can see Fiona laughing every time she looks over at him or Amanda.

The game is close throughout, no thanks to the Gryffindor Chasers being consistently off their game, but Oliver is absolutely on fire which keeps them in the running.

Then one of the Hufflepuff Beaters knocks Drake off his broom with a well-timed bludger and things spiral from there.

Angelina Johnson, a second year and one of the most promising members of the reserves team, is subbed in while Drake is taken, loudly complaining that he's fine and the world is only spinning a little bit, to the hospital wing. She's a fantastic flyer but she simply isn't on the same wavelength as the main Chaser team usually is, even when they're faltering.

Myr can tell when Charlie realizes that the only way they'll win is if he can catch the snitch before Hufflepuff pulls ahead more than a hundred and fifty points. He stops calling plays and giving encouragement and instead pulls several meters higher than the others, scanning determinedly - and almost desperately - for any sign of the snitch. The Hufflepuff Seeker - a new player who Myr doesn't recognize - follows him closely, clearly nervous.

But unfortunately Charlie doesn't find the snitch in time, and Myr thinks he hears Oliver swearing when the Quaffle sails past him, officially putting Hufflepuff one hundred and sixty points ahead of Gryffindor.

What happens next seems to go in slow motion for Myr. Behind the hoops Angelina grabs the Quaffle and takes off at top speed back across the pitch, just as Charlie spots the snitch and makes a break for it, the Hufflepuff Seeker close on his bristles.

Angelina dodges one of the Hufflepuff Chasers but collides mid-air with another, dropping the Quaffle in favor of not tumbling hundreds of meters through the air.

Myr winces but Evera is suddenly there, snagging the Quaffle before it gets to far and taking off, Angelina swerving away from the Chaser that had blocked her and shadowing Evera. As the girls move Charlie closes in on the snitch, clearly completely unaware of the mini drama happening elsewhere on the field.

The Quaffle passes through the hoop - ten second after Charlie closes his hand around the snitch.

Gryffindor loses by ten points. No one is very happy in the locker room, though Evera compliments Angelina on her final play attempt.

"Sorry for not noticing what you were doing, I didn't want to lose the snitch and risk losing by any more." Charlie apologizes for the hundredth time as they exit the change rooms.

Angelina shrugs, smiling. "It was still fun getting to play." She says, rather cheerful despite the circumstances. She's tackled into a hug a moment later by her friend Katie Bell, another Quidditch team hopeful who hadn't quite made the cut during tryouts.

"You. Were. Awesome." She informs her friend breathless and the two girls wander off, chatting excitedly. Myr only has a moment before he's similarly tackled by Amanda - can he call her his girlfriend? They haven't talked about that yet - who's grinning.

"You were amazing! I've never really paid attention to the Beaters before but oh boy do I need to start always doing that." She says breathlessly, blunt as ever but still blushing.

Charlie laughs. "Don't let the twins hear you say that, their egos will only get bigger."

"And Merlin knows that's the last thing we need." Percy gripes, coming up behind Amanda with Holly. "Speaking of the terrible two they snuck off right after the game ended so I'm taking Oliver to go find them before they lose us even more House points."

"That's a long lost cause but I admire your persistence." Oliver declares cheerfully, linking arms with Percy and dragging the bespectacled red head away.

"And I'll take Charlie since it seems Evera and Remi have already vamoosed." Holly decides cheerfully. "Don't make out too much you two."

Amanda laughs and her coloring starts to go back to normal. "My sister will probably come by to be a brat so we can't start that until she's left anyway." She replies cheekily, and now Myr is blushing fiercely.

Melody actually does come jogging around the corner a minute later, followed as usual by a few of her Hufflepuff classmates. This week boasts an admittedly very pretty dark-skinned girl and a short ravenette, both of whom hang back near the end of the stands while Melody walks up to her twin and Myr.

"Good game." She declares, sticking her hand out formally.

Amanda glances at the two girls standing by the edge of the stands. "They not coming over?" She asks in amusement, clearly knowing the answer.

"Farrah and Clara aren't big Quidditch people, they didn't even watch the game." Melody pouts pointedly for a moment before perking up again. "We're going to try and dye our hair magically! I just wanted to come say hi and warn you about being a gentleman." She pokes Myr's chest pointedly and then prances off, rejoining the other two and all three girls rush off giggling excitedly.

"How people mix you two up I'll never know." Myr says, half amused.

Amanda shrugs. "I mean neither of us is great at making friends, we're just different with it. I just don't hang out with people, she hangs out with everyone. I swear three weeks ago she hated those two and now I guess they're best friends." She grins at him. "So everyone has been talking about kissing..."

They haven't kissed yet, and they don't now, instead holding hands and taking a walk by the shores of the Great Lake, discussing the game and sharing sibling stories. Amanda doesn't push it but in the back of his mind Myr is worried that one day she'll grow fed up with waiting for him to be ready to do more.

"It that you guys lost. I know rooting against Hufflepuff is like rooting against my sister but honestly you guys had the better team. Red-hair, um shoot I've forgotten his name but glasses-kid, year below me?"

"Percy, Charlie Weasley's younger brother." Myr supplies with a faint smile.

Amanda nods. "Yeah him, he was giving me a run down of the stats for all the teams - he can really go on if you let him - and it seems like your team is way better than Hufflepuff's." She grins. "He says Ravenclaw has a decent chance though considering Slytherin cheated during their match. So be warned, I may celebrate if you lose your final match."

Myr laughs. "Perce and Oliver put together those stats themselves, they're both really proud of them. Oliver gave us the rundown at the start of the term but he's constantly reminding us."

They get almost halfway around the lake before realizing that the sky is starting to turn violet and turning back towards the castle. Only a few minutes after they turn Hogwarts lights up and Amanda pauses, looking up at the castle with unmasked awe.

"Remember first year? Coming over the lake and seeing the castle just like this for the first time?" She breathes. "Amazing how it's still magical, even after all this time."

Myr looks up at the castle and smiles. "It really is." He pauses, and then glances towards the shore where a rock is jutting out slightly from the sand. "You know what? We still have time before curfew. Want to do dinner out here? I can summon food from Drake's stash that he thinks no one knows about."

Amanda laughs delightedly, and when they've settled on the rock with an assortment of junk food scattered around them Myr thinks that even if she is a bit younger, he's quite glad he met Amanda.

It is exceedingly strange to not have any final exams to study for in April, especially since Trevor is drowning in NEWT stress.

"Honestly we may as well just go home." Nia complains one day half way through the month when a group of sixth year Slytherins are relaxing in their common room. "We have, what, maybe one thing due in each class between now and the end of the year? We could hand those in this week and call it good enough."

"We'd miss the closing Feast though, and winning the House Cup again." Queenie points out with a grin. "Six years in a row, that has to be some sort of record."

Eugene hums agreement. "A rather satisfying one at that." He adds with a grin, arm draped casually around his fiancée's shoulders. "Considering how the other Houses think they're so high and mighty."

"Extra pressure to try and get it again next year though." Cadfael mutters.

"If nothing else we're taking the Quidditch Cup." Alasdair says firmly. There's still two matches left in the season, one which includes their team, but Alasdair seems to have already written off the year and is focused on the future.

"I don't get why you're just writing off this year." Nia says, voicing Rajani's own questions. "Aren't we first place right now?"

Alasdair nods. "We are, but Ravenclaw is going to win it. No way Gryffindor beats them and our win over the eagles likely will have been too narrow to secure us first place. Plus Lennox is still off, it's driving us all nuts. He was better than any of the other teams' Seekers before this mess with Clary." He makes a face. "Remind me to never let romantic nonsense get in the way of my game."

No one touches that one. Lennox and Clary are still both having a difficult time post-breakup and Rajani honestly doesn't see much of either of them these days.

"Anyway, there's only a few weeks left." Queenie says after a moment. "I think we can survive. If nothing else it's extra time to make sure we know our stuff from this year so it's less stress over NEWTs next year."

"I'd imagine NEWTs will be stressful no matter what but that is a good idea." A new voice points out and a few of the group jump - namely the women.

"Hey Finn, you still need to work on that sneaking around thing." Eugene grins.

Rajani barely ever sees Finn Lopatkina-Paluch around these days - there had been a moment in fourth year when she'd been spending a bit more time with him but he seemed to lose interest in her and she hasn't spoken much to him since, not considering trying to reach his ridiculous standards a worthwhile endeavor to expend energy on.

Now though he sits right next to her as if it's perfectly normal. "Somehow sixth year feels both harder and easier than our first five." He declares. "Anyone else get that feeling?"

"What do you want Finn? You only talk to us when you want something." Alasdair says instead of answering, his voice flat and somewhat annoyed.

Finn frowns at him, and both Cadfael and Eugene roll their eyes so Rajani assumes this must be common in their dorm room.

"Rude much Macmillan? I merely wished to join the conversation." Finn replies with a rather catty grin that has Rajani recalibrating her interest in the mysterious boy.

Finn is an anomaly among the Slytherin House in that he doesn't really abide by its unspoken rules, nor does he have any particularly close friends among the other snakes. Even Elspeth, the most anti-social of their class, is close with Nia, and Rajani has no doubts that Els would have her back no questions asked if a situation were to arise where her support was needed.

Rajani couldn't say with the same certainty if Finn would be so blindly supportive. Before that had caused her to dismiss him outright, but now she finds herself curious - she's bored anyway, it could be something to do in the last few weeks of school.

"The course work is harder," She states, replying to Finn's original question, "Which is to be expected, but with fewer classes there's less overall stress about completing assignments on time which in theory could make school seem easier in some ways, provided one schedules accordingly."

Finn glances at her almost disinterestedly, and she's personally insulted by the look. "I'm sorry, does my analysis not please you?" She grumbles snarkily.

Alasdair rolls his eyes. "That's his default face, you'll learn to ignore it. You're lucky you haven't had to yet, we're all inoculated in the guy's dorms."

Finn grins. "You just don't have very thick skin, which is odd considering you're teaching the Quidditch team to cheat it's way to victory. Rather hypocritical that you'll dish it out but can't take it."

Alasdair looks about ready to murder, and Cadfael ends up dragging him out of the common room, shooting a glare at Finn as they go.

"That was uncalled for. Alasdair is using every angle to the team's advantage is all." Queenie snaps once the common room door has closed behind the two.

Finn shrugs unrepentantly. "Even if that is the case other people will say as much. He ought to be able to ignore it."

"He can when it comes from people who aren't supposed to have his back." Eugene points out quietly. Finn scoffs.

"You guys are less interesting than I thought, I'm going to steal some food from the kitchens." Finn sighs dramatically before bouncing up off the couch and wandering away.

Elspeth hisses at his back, earning a laugh from Nia.

"Sums up my thoughts exactly." She agrees. "How do you guys deal with sharing a room with him?"

Eugene sighs. "He wasn't so bad our first few years, we had some disagreements about things but I didn't think anything of it. It's only recently he's really started enjoying riling Alasdair up, and Alas keeps giving him what he wants because he's stressed about school and the team. And something about his brother too? He didn't want to share details with me but I guess he stole one of Alas's old friends or something along those lines. Point is he has enough going on without Finn being so... so abrasive." He huffs slightly, his posture having gotten more and more tense as the rant went on.

Queenie places a hand lightly on his chest, pulling him back down so she can lean against him. "Obviously the Sorting Hat made a mistake with him, it makes sense that it could happen." She says soothingly. "On a happier topic I'm going to Peru in a month and a half. What souvenirs does everyone want? I'm spending the whole summer down there and traveling to different parts so all requests are valid."

Her blatant railroading does the trick and soon they're all debating whether Queenie could legally ship them cursed Incan artifacts or not after Elspeth requests one "to ward off Gryffindors."

Cadfael and Alasdair return at some point during the discussion and Alas worriedly speaks up after a rather moving declaration by Nia about why defensive charms against Gryffindor should be given to all Slytherin students.

"My brother works in Peru - he's a Curse-Breaker - and there was a dragon pox outbreak there this past winter. Is it safe to travel?"

Queenie nods. "Don't worry, my cousin warned us about that but the travel ban is lifted and we're avoiding the areas where the majority of the outbreak happened. You'll have to deal with me for another year." She teases, kicking out at his ankle but missing by quite a bit.

Rajani grins. "Of course, no Shacklebolt would go into anything unprepared, least of all this one."

Alasdair nods. "Fair enough. My brother was fine, it wasn't too big an outbreak. I just wanted to make sure you knew."

Queenie vaguely pats the air in Alasdair's direction. "I appreciate the concern Alas, thanks." She beams at him and he flushes, glancing away self-consciously. "But anyway, I'm still pretty sure brining cursed artifacts back into the country without a Curse-Breaking license would get me instantly arrested and probably expelled. Which would be less than ideal considering I need my NEWTs to join the Wizengamot."

Between more regular group meetings like that one and final essays proving a bit more difficult that Nia's predictions, the last few weeks of the year pass faster than Rajani thinks she was ready for.

All too soon they're getting ready for the End of Year Feast and it hits Rajani that they only have one more year left in school.

"Is it weird, knowing you're graduating?" She asks Trevor the afternoon before the last day of term. The two of them are in his dorm room, relaxing on his bed. "Ed seemed to have everything figured out when he was leaving last year but no offense you don't seem to really have a clear path."

Trevor hums and leans back against his head board. "I don't think it's completely hit me yet, if I'm honest." He decides after a moment. "I'm still coming down from NEWT stress, I don't think I can process anything else right now."

Rajani laughs, turning onto her stomach to look at him more easily. "Fair enough. Do you know what you're doing though? We don't talk about that much and I'd think it's something you should have at least partly hammered out by now."

Trevor shrugs. "My dad has a few connections in the Department of Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures so I'm going to work as a Secretary in the Office of Misinformation starting in July. I don't know if I'll stay there ultimately but it's a job."

Rajani rolls her eyes. "My boyfriend, the Slytherin with no ambition." She teases.

"Really that says more about your standards than it does about me." Trevor teases right back.

They officially break up the next morning, quite amicably as they'd both known they wouldn't continue past Trevor's graduation.

"Well m'lady it has been fun. Perhaps I'll see you around the Ministry after you graduate." Trevor bows dramatically and kisses the back of her hand. Rajani laughs even as she blushes.

"Why have I put up with you for an entire year again?" She grins. "Come on, the Feast will be starting soon and I need to squeeze as much Queenie time in as I can before the brat goes off to Peru all summer instead of keeping me company."

"You poor thing how will you ever survive?" Trevor mocks.

Rajani says goodbye to Gabi as well, the older prefect giving her a list of things she has to do as the top Slytherin prefect next year.

"Eugene is about as useful as this clod, Alana means well but is far to temperamental and Hector is half-focused on the Qudditch team so you're the role model for the incoming prefects." The dark-skinned girl instructs. "Don't let me down, we need to make sure Slytherin is well represented among the student power."

Rajani salutes. "I won't let you down."

Gabi finally relaxes, grinning. "I know you won't. Tell Lennox he's welcome to stop by the International Magical Office of Law if he ever wants to play a round of Exploding Snap. I'm doing a paid internship there this summer which will hopefully get me a full-time job."

"Best of luck, and if he's up for talking to me I'll be sure to pass on the message." Rajani promises before leaving the two seventh year to chat with their yearmates and walking over to where the other sixth years are gathered.

"Happy six years in a row!" Queenie greets her a bit louder than Rajani thinks is necessary. " it everyone else, Slytherin rules!"

Clary, who's emerged from the woodworks to sit with them, makes a face. "Language." She says primly, not looking at Rajani as the other girl takes the seat across from her.

"Are you drunk?" Rajani can't help asking, incredibly amused.

"A bit tipsy." Queenie confirms. "We did a toast this morning! Six years in a row! Woo!"

Eugene laughs but places a hand on top of her head. "Shush love, you're getting stares and I'm pretty sure if one of the professors finds out about our stash we're going to get into trouble."

"Your stash?" Nia raises and eyebrow and Queenie giggles.

"Their stash." Cadfael confirms.

"Feel free to come steal some next year, they share if you ask." Alasdair adds with a grin. His predictions about the Quidditch Cup had come true and he'd gotten absolutely sloshed after Ravenclaw beat Gryffindor - now Rajani knows how that happened.

Queenie tuts. "We share only if there's a good reason, no need to go drinking all the time, that's how addiction starts. And that leads down a path of completely ruining your public image." She declares primly.

"And we couldn't have that." Elspeth mutters from where she's hunched over the table, poking at the wood with her butter knife.

Nia nudges her. "It doesn't hurt to have good street cred, that's how the stinking Malfoys get away with everything." She points out, grimacing. "Anyway, I think the Headmaster is about to make his speech. Bring on the Slytherin decorations."

Dumbledore's speech goes on about House unity and the strengths of all the Houses, and Rajani is more than ready to throw something (not that she ever actually would do such a thing, but the idea is certainly enticing) by the time he gives in and announces Slytherin's sixth consecutive win of the House cup. Their table erupts into cheers, and Alasdair calls several taunts towards the other tables, targeting the Quidditch players particularly.

It's a celebratory Feast, and Eugene even sneaks a small bottle of firewhisky out of his sleeve to spike everyone's drinks with.

"Urgh, this is awful." Elspeth complains before immediately downing the rest.

Clary is a giggling mess, clearly unable to handle any sort of drink, though about halfway through the Feast she looks like she's about to start crying when she tries to say something to Lenox only to remember that he hadn't sat with them. Cadfael ends up stepping in to distract her by talking about Potions, to everyone's relief.

It's not a perfect ending, but Rajani still thinks it was plenty of fun. And the real end still isn't for another year, so they have time to get things just right.

For the moment, she simply enjoys herself.

Guys. That's it. Sixth year is over. We only have one year left and let me tell you it's a doozy. We get our Head Boy and Head Girl (and SHUSH we're going to pretend we don't know who they'll be and this is legitimately tense xD), there will of course be more romantic nonsense but these kids are about to get ready to enter the real world so expect a bit more job-related angst and stress as well! Eight chapters, sixteen weeks, and 80 thousand words left before we leave these kids to their lives and jump forward in time to when things are a lot less laid back! So let's enjoy the ride~