CH.10

Don't tell me what to do!

*Beep* Beep* Beep* 

Yerin lazily turned and faced the sound on her night side. She slammed her hand on the alarm clock for ruining her good sleep. Her eyes shot open when she noticed what day it was. I’m gonna be late for work. It has been at least 3 weeks since she started working, and yerin can’t seem to get used to waking up early for work. 

She kicked the blankets of her and did her usual morning routine. After doing so, she grabbed her things and left to catch up on her bus. 

—————

“Heyyy looks who’s here!” Jihyo announced as soon as yerin came through the doors. Yerin rolled her eyes and went straight to the staff room to get changed. She got very close with her co- workers that they start to joke and tease each other, as if they were long lost brothers and sisters. After changing, yerin greeted her friends and went behind the counter to start working. It is true that it was hard brewing coffee at first but, the second week of work, yerin started to get bored since now she finds it easy. 

“H-hey you’re sinb right? Yerin’s friend?” Taehyung stuttered. Yerin almost dropped the coffee she was holding as Taehyung mentioned the black demon’s name. Why is she here? And we’re not even close to being friends. She pretended to brew coffee, her back facing the customers and the cashier and tried to listen to their conversation. To her disappointment, sinb ignored Taehyung’s question and ordered her drink. 

“Yerin, one medium vanilla latte.” Taehyung announced and looked behind him where he saw yerin all the way down the counter, “Yah Yerin! What are you doing?”. 

“Chill, I’m trying to get the whipped cream” yerin crouched and opened the mini fridge. She took it out and put the whipped cream on top of the coffee. 

“Jin, vanilla latte for table 8” yerin placed the cup on the tray where Jin would usually pick it up and serve the beverage. 

“Jin called in sick today, you might have to serve it yourself” Joy said not facing the girl, focused on preparing the coffee for the other customers.

“Ughhh. Would you be a nice friend and do it for me instead?”

“Hahaha. No. I’m busy.” 

Yerin took the tray and went up to sinb where she was busy doing something on her phone. She looked up to see yerin with her drink. “Here” yerin placed the cup in front of sinb and was about to walk away when sinb held her wrist, “wait I have to talk to you about something.” 

“I’m in the middle of work, can’t you tell me later?” 

“No it’s urgent” 

Yerin sighed and sat across from sinb and waited for the girl to talk, “so that Taehyung guy.. you guys seem close now”. “Jealous? Look, if you’re going to lecture me about him don’t even bother.” Yerin crossed her arms and annoyingly looked at the demon in front of her. “No, it’s not because of him” sinb wiped with a napkin after hearing the first word that yerin said made her choke on her drink, “it’s because of this” sinb took an envelope out and showed yerin, “it’s for you”. 

“Seriously? You came here just to be my personal mail-woman?” 

“Tsk. You wish, but on my way here, it says that you have a reunion with your elementary friends” 

“Why the heck did you open it? Just throw it out. I’m not going” 

“Umm.. did you forget that you’re suppose to obey me. And I say you should go to the reunion whether you like it or not” 

Yerin couldn’t hold her anger any longer and snatched the envelope from sinb’s hand. She stood up and stomped her way back to the counter where she resume her work. Who does she think she is? 

After going back to work, yerin saw sinb standing up and leaving the café. “So what did you guys talk about?” Jihyo asked, noticing the sudden change of yerin’s mood. “Nothing important” yerin shook her head and smiled at the girl that had a worried look on her face. They went back to work serving various customers until closing time. 

“Hey can I have a small iced coffee and a Yerin to go?” 

Taehyung furrowed his eyebrows from the customers’ last request, he looked up from the monitor and saw a smiling umji, “oh good evening umji ssi, I’m guessing you came to pick up yerin?”

“Yea I am” 

“Alright, she’s getting ready. We’ll make your iced coffee” 

Umji handed the money to Taehyung and waited for her drink as well as waiting for a certain girl to come out of the staff room. After waiting for quite a while, yerin came out and saw umji sitting on one of the tables near the window, “umji? What are you doing here?” Yerin questioned the girl and fixed her hair. 

“I came to pick up my girlfriend of course, here, you must be tired” umji gave her iced coffee to yerin and held her hand, “let’s go?”. Yerin blushed, taking the iced coffee and holding umji’s hand. They bid farewell and left the café, heading back to the dorms. 

YR: How’d you know I work there? 

UJ: I asked sinb, she said that she saw you.

YR: oh.. thanks for picking me up by the way, you didn’t have to. 

UJ: it’s ok, I had nothing else to do. 

Umji and Yerin got on the bus and talked about several topics, almost not noticing that they were almost near the dorms. 

———————-

 

*Dorms*

“And for a couple of days I will be getting my pay check and I’ll pay you back in no time-“ 

“Yewonnie!” A girl opened the door to the dorms, interrupting yerin.

“Eunseo? What brings you here?” Umji asked sounding surprised. 

“I came to talk about some stuff with you and Eunbi. Oh and hello there” Eunseo stretched her hand to yerin, “I’m Eunseo” 

“Pleasure to meet you. I’m Yerin” yerin gave her eye smile to eunseo and accepted the hand shake. 

The three sat down at one of the cafeteria tables where they saw sinb sitting down already. They took their seats and yerin sat awkwardly if whether she should be there or not. 

“It’s ok Yerin ssi you don’t have to worry, I actually want as much people to hear this news. *Ahem* I’m getting married!!” Eunseo exclaimed shocking sinb and umji. 

Yerin’s instinct was to congratulate the girl on her marriage, saving the long awkward pause. 

“Y-Yea congrats! That man must be lucky” umji stuttered. She looked at sinb with still widened eyes. Umji kicked sinb’s ankles under the table, causing the girl to snap out of the shock, “Congratulations” 

It was the first time yerin ever saw sinb with such expression on her face. Is it that big of a deal? The three stayed and listened to eunseo’s detailed marriage plans, until she announced that she had to go. Yerin stood up and walked the girl to the front porch, “congratulations again, it was nice hearing about your marriage plans, I envy you” yerin laughed and scratched her head. 

“You shouldn’t! Soon you will marry the person you love” eunseo smiled, “do you have time? I was wondering if you’re free to walk around for a bit with me” yerin nodded and walked around the neighbourhood with eunseo.

ES: Do you like Umji? 

YR: umm.. that would be pretty presumptuous of me

ES: *giggle* sinb, umji and I are childhood friends. I used to like eunbi, even though she wasn’t interested in me... I was prepared if she does come my way. 

YR: you’re talking about sinb right? You must really love her. 

ES: yup, I’ve had a lot of relationships just to make her jealous... but it never really worked out. What makes me Surprised  though is when I noticed that Yewon liked me. 

YR: the white princess?? 

ES: she probably didn’t confess because she knew that I liked eunbi. 

YR: wow their friendship is really no joke...

ES: exactly! If you ever fall in love with either of them... don’t ruin their friendship.

YR: I think your misunderstanding something- 

ES: anyways those two need eachother! Don’t get in the way. 

Eunseo grabbed yerin’s shoulder and looked at the girl straight in the eyes. Yerin nodded speechless after what eunseo said. 

“I’ll be ok from here. Thanks for walking with me. Take care of those two for me!” Eunseo waved good bye and went into her taxi. Yerin waved and thought about what the girl said to her.. Am I in the way?

-

*back in the dorms* 

Umji and sinb sat waiting for yerin to return, “are you ok with it?” Sinb asked not looking up to meet umji’s  eyes. 

“With what?” 

“Eunseo’s marriage” 

The two sat in silence while sinb waited for her friends’ response, “so you knew?”. Sinb scoffed and stared at umji still fidgeting with her fingers, “it was obvious”. 

“is that so? How about her feelings for you?” Umji asked starting to get annoyed at the lack of reply from the older girl, “I’m guessing you already knew”. 

Finally looking up, umji glared at sinb, “you are really something huh?” Umji scoffed before standing up and leaving sinb by herself. Sinb her teeth at umji’s action, acting if she’s ok with it.. tsk yea right.

 

  ————————

*Next day* 

It was yerin’s day off and she thought about doing her laundry, since she had a bit of free time to herself. She took her clothes and blankets, making her way to the laundry room. Putting the detergent in and pressing a few buttons, yerin waited until it was done washing the clothes and blankets. 

Half an hour later, she took her clothes and was about to put it in the dryer until she saw the note on top of it: Dryer is being repaired, dry your clothes outside. 

Yerin hanged her soaking clothes, it was actually a lot better drying your clothes outside, it saves energy and reduces the possibility of your clothes shrinking. She plopped down on the grass and breathe out a heavy sigh, “I’m finally done!”. 

“Hey! Isn’t the reunion today?” Sinb looked down at yerin who was smiling. 

Yerin sat up and shook her head, “I’m not going” 

“And why is that?” 

“You don’t know what they did to me in elementary school, I don’t want to go through something like that ever again” 

Sinb held the older girl’s chin, making her look up, “you’re going to that reunion and take that picture!” Yerin flinched at sinb’s sudden raised voice. She was about to talk back when yerin saw sinb’s hand pulled away from her and suddenly feeling someone’s arm around her shoulders. 

“Don’t bully my girlfriend” umji glared at sinb, “I don’t like it”. Yerin pulled herself closer to umji’s side, not finding the courage to look up at sinb. 

“It’s an order!” Sinb clenched her teeth. 

“You’re ordering my girlfriend around? And plus we have a date today” umji started leading yerin away from sinb, leaving as quick as they can. 

“If you don’t go, you’ll receive a far worse punishment” sinb yelled at the two. Umji couldn’t take it anymore and walked up to sinb, grabbing her collar, “it’s time to stop making her suffer, lay a hand on her or else-“ 

“I’ll go. I’ve changed since then..” yerin looked at the two glaring at eachother. Umji worriedly looked at yerin, “you don’t have to put yourself through that.” 

Yerin shook her head and left the two alone, going back to her room.

—————————

Yerin dressed herself up and quickly left to go to the reunion. 

Arriving a little late, she saw her elementary classmates as usual talking with eachother. All of the sudden she felt excluded that nobody decided to greet her. This is hell all over again. Yerin gathered all her courage and approached a group of people that she recognized. “H-hello” yerin stuttered and looked down. The group stopped talking and looked at the awkward girl in front of them, “um do we know you?” 

“I’m J-Jung Yerin” 

“Hmmm. You look different. *gasp* are you wearing make-up?” 

Yerin nodded. One of the guys in the group brought the year book out and looked at yerin’s picture, “this looks nothing like you, you must have done plastic surgery”. The group laughed at yerin while comparing her elementary self. 

“Y-you’re wrong! I wanted to change for a long time... since you guys started bullying me. For that reason, I did everything I could to avoid something like that happening. The person I am now... this is me!” Yerin wanted to shout and yell at the group in front of her, almost taking all her anger out on her classmates who bullied her. Her hands unconsciously turned into a ball and tried to hold back any tears. 

“Just because you became prettier doesn’t make you high and mighty” the guy slammed the year book on the table and walked towards yerin. As he was coming closer, yerin kept backing away.

“Yah!” 

Everyone turned around and saw an annoyed random girl at least to yerin’s classmates, suddenly enter their venue. “I was wondering when you’ll stop being rude to yerin” another girl said eating a cupcake on one of the tables with her legs crossed. Yerin widened her eyes when she saw the white princess and the black demon. The guy turned away from yerin and quirked his eyebrows, “I don’t recognize you two... wait! Are from her new school?” 

Umji and sinb went up to the rude guy and glared at him, “so what?” 

“Hahahaha you should’ve seen her appearance back in elementary! She’s so ugly!” He went to retrieve the year book and showed yerin’s graduation photo, “see? She grossed you out right? Right?” 

“Which part? She’s still the pretty and cute yerin that I see” umji squinted her eyes to get a better look at the picture. 

“Your eyes must be messed up” 

“Your the one who’s messed up. Who cares what she looks like? She’s still the same person” sinb retorted back sounding annoyed. Yerin covered and looked down, a tear or two escaping from her eyes. 

The guy threw the book across the floor and tried to land a punch on umji, “don’t try to act cool, you losers”. Before his fist could hit umji’s face, she grabbed his arm and twisted it behind his back, umji pushed him to a cart full of food making him fall on his face. 

The guy stood right back up and pushed the cart towards the two. Sinb caught the cart with her left foot and gave him a punch across the face, knocking him out cold, “lets not waste our time here”. 

“Let’s go, Yerin unnie” umji held yerin’s hand and left the venue with people still surprised from the fight.  

—————————————

*Dorms*

“How did you two find me?” Yerin hiccuped still not over what happened at the reunion. There was a long pause until umji spoke up, “we were patrolling the rooms around the dorms and we went to your room... we saw the invitation card and the address was written on it. So sinb and I decided to pay you a visit. It sinb’s-“ 

“No it wasn’t” sinb cutted umji off and stared at her. 

“You don’t even know what I was gonna say” 

Yerin laughed at the two bickering at each other and noticed that they already arrived at the dorms. They were about to enter when sinb’s phone suddenly rang and signalled umji and yerin to go on ahead. 

Sinb took her phone out and saw eunseo’s caller ID. 

SB: Eunseo... what do you want? 

ES: *giggle* the way you talk to me through the phone hasn’t changed at all! 

SB: ....

ES: anyways! You’ll come to my wedding right? 

SB: Yeah. With Yewon. 

ES: By the way, any plans from taking the bride away?... like you’ll come busting through the door and be like “Stop the wedding!” *laughs* 

SB: you watch way too much drama. 

ES: What? I like it, they’re so entertaining...It’s a little regrettable. One day you’ll find someone you love too. Even though I always thought that person was me.... to think that spot was taken away from me because of that girl. 

SB: what are you talking about? 

ES: I’m talking about yerin. 

SB: Tsk. She’s- 

ES: Be honest with yourself on this one... or else Yewon will take her away from you. 

SB: ...

ES: Eunbi! You better spend your life regretting that you dumped me. See ya at the wedding! 

“Hey!-“ before sinb could say anything else, eunseo already hung up. She stared at her phone and thought about what her childhood friend said. Sinb shook her head and went straight to her room. 

 —

Yerin was also about to go back to her room when umji pulled her to the side, “Hey unnie.. got a minute?” Yerin worriedly looked at umji and nodded at her. 

“I was wondering if we could end our game...” 

“What game?” 

“About us having a fake relationship... sorry” Umji looked down avoiding yerin’s strong gaze. Yerin laughed and waved her hands in front of her, “don’t be sorry, I already learned a lot by just having a fake relationship with you... I should thank you” 

“Well, your welcome” umji finally looked up and smiled at the older girl, “go on then, press the reset button” umji closed her eyes and pointed at her own lips. Yerin sighed and stretched her hand out and lightly pressing umji’s bottom lip. 

The younger girl opened her eyes and hugged yerin. “It’s game over.” Umji released the embrace and gave her a final smile, “I’ll go to my room now. Good night unnie”

“Y-yea good night” yerin watched the silhouette figure disappear before she went to her own room. 

——————

Umji took her key out and was about to put the key through the door knob, when she noticed that the door was already open. She furrowed her eyebrows and slowly entered her room. Did someone barge in? 

She saw someone in her room and saw sinb looking through her cabinet. “Sinb? What are you doing?” Sinb didn’t bother to look at the younger girl and kept shuffling umji’s things, “where’s my diary?” 

“It’s not in my stuff that’s for sure” umji took off her jacket and hanged it behind her door. Umji faced-palmed when she saw the diary on top of their coffee table. Umji went to get the notebook and hit sinb’s head with it, “check your room before you check mine” 

“Ouch! I knew you had it!” Sinb snatched the book from umji and went to her room, sinb sat down and started to write the events that happened recently. 

“Eunbi..” umji called out entering sinb’s room and sitting on her bed. Sinb didn’t say anything and ignored umji. “I’m quitting the game... and I told Yerin unnie about it too.” Sinb scoffed, “you gave up on her already?” 

“It’s actually the opposite. To be honest it’s not like I was interested in her, she’s wasn’t my type anyways.” Umji stood up and walked back and forth, “it’s rare for you to become attached to a girl, so I got close to her to find out what made her so special.” 

Sinb stopped writing and brought her pen to her lips, “ I don’t really-“ 

“Listen to the end please” Sinb rolled her eyes and dropped her pen, letting it roll across the desk. 

“I thought it would be interesting to see your reaction when I got closer to her.... that’s why I suggested to a play a game to see who can make yerin theirs.” Umji sighed and her lips, “but... it’s fun being with her. I’ve become serious about Yerin unnie. So... can I take her?” 

Sinb leaned on her chair and turned to look at umji, “Yewon.. She’s mine” 

Umji walked in front of sinb and looked at her in the eyes, “then, let’s battle it out.” 

“I hate games” 

“That’s your loss then” 

The black demon and the white princess held a staring contest. Sinb groaned and saw the determination in umji’s eyes. She stood up and sighed, sinb walked up to umji and faced her, “Well this is your time to turn back” 

“Tsk. As if.” Umji scoffed. 

 

Let the battle begin.

 

 

 

 

——————-

A/N: 

 Sorry for the late update >.< 

Just a heads up, this story has only a few chapters left, soooo is it UmjixYerin or SinbxYerin?? ;) 

Thx for all the support, see you at the next chapter!