CH. 12

Don't tell me what to do!

-continuation from last chapter- 

 

After encountering yuju and sinb’s moment together at the park, yerin wore her hood trying to avoid being discovered by the two. It has been almost ten minutes since she got there and she couldn’t seem to leave, not until sinb and yuju leaves first. Yerin stayed for another minute or so and decided to leave the two alone. She gathered all her strength and left the park without turning back.

What am I doing? I should be happy for yuju, she finally got someone she loves. 

————————————

*Dorms* 

Yerin switched her dirty shoes to her comfortable slippers. She passed by the cafeteria and saw her dorm mates eating and talking with each other. 

Feeling completely exhausted, she decided to skip dinner and walked to her room. It’s as if all her energy got drained away, feeling nothing but sadness. 

Why am I feeling like this? It somehow... hurts.. The best way to cope with something like this is to sleep. 

Yerin closed her eyes and drifted off to dreamland. 

 

*Morning* 

Yerin woke up hearing piano being played just below her room. Such calming music. She closed her eyes, listening to every note that was being played. The song was really addicting, the person playing the piano might have played for half an hour straight, while for yerin, she stayed in bed waiting for the person to stop the music... not like she wanted to. 

After hearing the last note, yerin finally stood up from her bed, assuming the song was finished. She did her daily morning routine and wore some comfortable clothes. Yerin went to the cafeteria and ate her breakfast alone.

While eating, she noticed that it was way too quiet. It made sense since not many people will wake up this early. She took her phone out of her pocket and plugged in her earphones. 

“Ah my favourite song”. Yerin said quietly to herself and jammed to the beat while eating her toast. 

She took out one earbud when she felt someone tapping her shoulder, “May I help you?”

“Sorry for bothering you, Im just letting you know that you’re on rake duty for today. There’s a bunch of leaves need to be cleaned up.” 

“Ah! Okay, thank you for letting me know” yerin slightly bowed her head at the person and continued eating. Fall is here already?! 

“No problem, Yerin ssi” 

Yerin bowed again, feeling bad that she doesn’t know the girl’s name. While she was eating she saw the white princess and the black demon enter the cafeteria. By the corner of yerin’s eye, she saw sinb glance at her. Ignore her yerin~.. They’ll probably going to eat with you. That I’m done eating anyways. Yerin took her tray and placed it at the kitchen counter. 

Before going to the backyard to do her duty, she tied her hair to a bun while walking towards the exit of the cafeteria. Before she could leave she felt a hand on her shoulder making her turn back. 

“Hey unnie, you’re done eating already?” Umji pouted hoping for the three of them to eat together. 

“Yeah sorry umji... I have rake duty for today. Maybe next time?” Yerin tried to make it up for the younger girl. Bad idea! Why did I suggest that?! Umji smiled brightly and nodded, “Thanks for your hard work unnie”. 

Yerin nodded and faced the door to leave the cafeteria. 

Pabo yerin! What happen to ignoring the black demon? Aish why am I talking to myself? I’ve gone crazy!

Arriving at the backyard, yerin went to the shed to gather all the things she needed. She slipped the gloves on and took a rake and started doing her job. 

Once yerin gathered all the leaves in one spot, she wiped her sweat and glanced at the bright sun. She walked to a shade and sat down enjoying the sunrise while the birds chirp around the trees. Raking isn’t that bad, I could do this almost all the time! Looking at the tall pile of leaves in front of her, she wondered how fun it would be to jump into them. Yerin walked up to the pile and lightly jumped, it doesn’t feel the same like when I was a kid... 

Gathering all her things and placing all the equipments back, yerin left the pile and went back inside the dorm. I really want to know where that piano was coming from.. She wandered around looking at every room at the first floor. 

Finally finding the room she was looking for, she walked inside and saw all sorts of instruments, yerin looked at the middle of the room and saw the piano. She sat on the chair and played random notes, yerin tried playing the note she heard this morning. She looked up and closed her eyes trying to recall the relaxing music. 

Before she could continue playing, she felt a warm hand on top of hers, making her startle at the sudden touch. Yerin looked up and saw the black demon behind and hovering on top of her. Sinb guided yerin’s hand and fingers to the correct notes. Oh so she was the mystery piano player... Yerin pressed her lips together trying to contain all the nervousness. She stood still and let sinb teach her the easy part of the song. After teaching and repeating the notes to the older girl three times, sinb let yerin’s hand go and played the opening of the song, does she want a duet or something?! Yerin was so confused on what the other girl was doing and just played along. 

Sinb snapped her fingers signalling yerin to play the part she just learned literally 10 seconds ago. But for a first timer, she was a quick learner and got all the notes right, yerin smiled to herself feeling accomplished. 

The two continued playing the piano until they finished the song. Sinb got off yerin and walked back, “and with that I’m ending it”. 

The older girl looked back and quirked her eyebrows. “Your contract period ends now... you don’t have to obey me anymore. That’s all.” Sinb continued and turned away. 

“Why all of the sudden?” 

“Can’t you see? I’m satisfied now” 

Satisfied? She must be talking about yuju... “I see... I’m glad” yerin said, voice cracking. She stood up and exited the music room. Yerin covered and wiped her tears while bumping into a bunch of people and one of them is umji. 

“H-hey what happen?” Umji stuttered when her unnie suddenly hugged her and buried her face into her chest. Umji didn’t know what to do and patted yerin’s back trying to comfort the girl. The white princess led yerin to the front porch of the dorm and sat down on the stairs. Umji let yerin lean her head against her shoulder, placing her arm around the older girl. Nobody talked and instead enjoyed the comfortable silence. 

Sinb left the music room and saw umji and yerin relaxed together. The way umji put her arms around yerin wasn’t a pleasing sight to see, sinb let out a heavy sigh and went to her room. 

“I should be happy but why am I feeling this way?” Yerin blurted out not realizing what she said. 

Umji didn’t know what she was talking about and just listened to her words. “If only I knew sooner...” yerin continued crying. The younger girl bit her bottom lip, seeing this side of yerin was heart breaking since the older girl will always be the one who is always so hyper and happy, now she was the one who need to be comforted. “unnie, this might not be the right decision for you, but it’s sometimes better if you let go... to whatever might be troubling you” 

“But it’s hard and painfu-“ 

“I know it’s painful... sometimes it’s just the best way to make you and others happy..” 

Make others happy... like yuju and sinb? 

“You’re right” yerin sighed and wiped her tears. “Like I said unnie, I don’t know your problem right now, and I won’t ask but... it’s your life and you’re will be the one to make decisions.” Umji reminded yerin. 

“Yeah I’m aware... thank you for comforting me... I needed it” yerin giggled. “Everyone deserves a shoulder to lean on, and mine is always free for you” umji smiled seeing that yerin is no longer shedding tears, “I’ll get going now, it’s better if you have your time alone... see you later unnie” Yerin pulled umji into an embrace and thanked her again. 

The younger left yerin and thought to herself. She stood up and went to her room to grab her sweater, keys and phone. Yerin ran to the bus and went to go confront someone. 

—- 

*Ding dong* 

The first ring of the doorbell made the door swing open, “oh yerin! What brings you here? Come in” yuju invited yerin inside. 

“No it’s okay. I’ll be quick..” yerin looked down suddenly doubting whether she should tell her friend. She watched yuju close her door  behind her and faced the older girl.

“I’m sorry...” yerin looked down. “Sorry for??” Yuju asked feeling confused at the sudden apology.

 “I like her... I like sinb”

Yuju clenched her teeth, “since when?” 

“I dont know, but yesterday I found out that I had feelings for her... after I-“ yerin stopped her sentence, I shouldn’t tell her about me being there at their date. 

“After you what?” 

“Never mind... but the thing is, I like you being my friend, and I felt that I betrayed you. I’m sorry” Yerin gave Yuju a 90 degrees bow. 

“What are you apologizing for? Just because we like the same person, that has nothing to do with our friendship. I’ve known you since... I don’t know... for a long time, and I’m not throwing away our hard worked friendship just because of someone.  It’s weird for you to bow at me, it’s like we’re complete strangers.” Yuju said sincerely. Yerin looked up and hugged her best friend, “I’m glad! I thought it was over between us” 

“Come on are you doubting our friendship? You know it’s stronger than that” yuju returned the hug, “lm happy that you were honest with me unnie, that’s something that I will be scared to do.” 

Yerin broke the embrace and laughed, “to be honest, I was scared” 

*inside Yuju’s house*- “yuju lunch time!” Yuju’s mom yelled. 

“I gotta go, you want to eat with us?” Yuju suggested. The older girl shook her head, “I’m ok, I’ll have food back at the dorms.” 

“Alright. Good bye unnie”

“See ya I hope you’re happy with her!” Yerin ran away before yuju could ask.  Great I exposed myself! Yuju scratched her head at the older’s remark and closed the door, brushing off what yerin said.