Raison d'être (Part 9)

From the Old and Torn Portfolio
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Happy Hearts Day to everyone! I know there's a lot of people who've been rooting for Raison d'être and for that, I'm really sorry for the long wait. I've been busy with other unpublished stories and life so I wasn't able to get much writing done. I am currently writing a lot of ongoings (both posted here and a lot of unposted ones) plus, I have been busy with work. It's been a hectic start to my year. lol. Luckily, I've managed to write quite a chapter for this story... So, I hope you enjoy reading this much awaited update. :)

 

 

 

9

 

Sooyeon feels tired, but she rouses from her sleep after hearing voices. She hears familiar ones talking about her. She tries hard to open her eyes, move her hands, but the fatigue wins her over. And so, she merely listens.

 

“Doctor…”

 

“She is fine, Mrs. Jung. Mr. Jung. There’s no need to worry too much. Your daughter is just tired. She just needs some rest, proper food, and a little bit of an IV drip to sustain her while she recovers from exhaustion and dehydration. Her baby’s fine so there’s no need to worry too much about that.”

 

Sooyeon hears sighs of relief before her parents shoot the doctor another question.

 

“Can Sooyeon still visit Taeyeon? Is she allowed to have visitors?”

 

“She can visit him when she’s stable enough. As for visitors, Miss Jung can see her daughter, but as per hospital policy, the child cannot stay here in the vicinity for long.”

 

“We’ll try to make Soojung understand, Doctor. Thank you for your help.”

 

“Always a pleasure, Mr. and Mrs. Jung.”

 

“Really, Rob. You’ve been a huge help to our family. And I’m sorry we had to call you all the way here. We only wanted what’s best for the couple.”

 

“It’s fine.”

 

Then, Sooyeon hears footsteps through the door before it closes on her. She hears muffled voices from outside her room and her tired mind barely registers the small steps hastily coming to her side after the door creaks open.

 

“Mommy…” She hears her daughter’s all-too familiar voice, a remorseful one as the little one sniffles, “I’m sorry, Mommy. Please, don’t leave me.” Small hands take hold of her unmoving one. A pair of lips presses against her forehead. “Please, forgive Soojungie.”

 

Another voice registers her ear; an all-too familiar one. “She needs rest, Soojung.”

 

Miyoung. The young woman is currently with her daughter.

 

“Will she be all right, Auntie?”

 

“The doctor said she will be. For now, she needs to rest, Soojung. Why don’t we visit your Daddy?”

 

“Can I?”

 

“Yes, you can, little one.”

 

Sooyeon can imagine her daughter turning to her. “Mommy, I’ll be visiting Daddy for a while. Please rest well, Mommy.” Then, she feels lips press against her forehead again before she feels her daughter crawl off the bed and hears footsteps heading for the door.

 

The door creaks and then silence follows.

 

Sooyeon finds herself alone once more; alone to ponder on things.

 

+++

 

Miyoung shifts uncomfortably in her seat at the lunch table. She finds it unbelievable to be mingling with people of a different caliber. She is currently dining with Sooyeon’s parents along with the little one and Miyoung feebly touches the expensive cuisine set on her plate. The atmosphere is thick as Sooyeon’s parents dine in utmost silence.

 

“You barely touched your food, Miss Hwang.” Mrs. Jung’s voice wakes her from her reverie. Miyoung looks up, and notes that she has barely eaten any of the food on her plate. The salad remains untouched and the roasted beef is barely cut into pieces. “Is the food not to your liking, Miss Hwang?”

 

Miyoung shakes her head, “It’s all right, Ma’am. I’m –I’m just worried is all.”

 

The older woman softens her gaze on the young adult and neatly sets down her utensils on the plate before she pats Miyoung’s hand. “Miss Hwang-”

 

“Please call me, Miyoung, Ma’am.” Miyoung requests, finding the way Mrs. Jung addressed her a little too formal for her liking. She notices Mrs. Jung smile.

 

“Well then, you should call me Soojin and my husband, Soohyun.”

 

Miyoung finds herself speechless, but nods nonetheless despite her disbelief in being able to address the Jungs by their first names. Mrs. Jung’s grin widens and she resumes what she intends to say prior to the interruption, “Miyoung, my daughter should be fine. She is just exhausted is all. We brought in the best physician to take care of her and her child. I’m glad she has hired someone like you. You went beyond your way to help her and her family. We cannot thank you enough for watching over little Soojung and for bringing her all the way here.” Everyone’s eyes shift to the little one who is busy eating her food.

 

Soojung looks up to the adults, smiling widely at th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter