Raison d'être (Part 14)

From the Old and Torn Portfolio
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 14

 

Everything blurs as she takes hazy steps towards Taeyeon’s room. The sounds of people scurrying about in urgency grow muffled as she draws herself closer to her beloved’s quarters. Her heart throbs in unease as she nears the door. Then, she feels time slow as her legs grow weak; her body falling to the ground only to be stopped when someone grabs her by the waist. Her father-in-law’s worried look registers her mind before it blacks out.

 

‘Sooyeon!’ He mouths, but she fails to hear him as her senses fail.

 

+++

 

The wind blows through the meadow as two horses head for the stables following a white Husky. Miyoung finds the cold breeze unsettling for some reason as she is helped down her steed by the kind handlers tending to the horses.

  

Soojung wastes no time in pulling Miyoung back into the large manse while Snow barked before following after them. Miyoung struggles to keep up with the child’s bubbling energy as the little girl runs up a flight of steps past the gardens and the outdoor lounge.

 

“I’m hungry, Auntie!” Soojung chirps, excitement sending her voice a pitch higher, making Miyoung struggle to hear. “I want some cake and ice cream!” The little child panted some assortments of desserts she wishes for a snack as they burst through the doors, navigating the labyrinthine hallways of the huge house before stopping at the bustling kitchen being manned by chefs.

 

The large galley takes Miyoung by surprise. It looks like something straight out of a five-star restaurant. Numerous chefs man the place, all busily preoccupied by the meals they are handling for the day. But they all halt from their respective chores after noting the characteristic powerful burst of the double kitchen doors no thanks to the little girl in horseback-riding gear.

 

Smiles immediately ghost over the men and women’s faces upon noting little Soojung’s appearance in their haven. Miyoung presumes the child is a frequent visitor of the place, given the staff’s familiarity with Soojung’s habits.

 

“Ah, little Soojungie.” A burly man from the back of the room greets as he puts down his plate of pastries on the table, “I assume hunger calls you into the kitchens?”

 

Soojung musters a wide grin in return as she steps past the threshold followed by an excited Snow. Miyoung hesitantly traces the girl’s steps, eyes wandering around the kitchen. The adult meekly greets the other adults as she follows after the little one who approaches the burly elder.

 

“Nice to see you again, Chef. May I have some snacks?” Soojung asks as she stops before the head chef. Her eyes twinkle in delight when the man presents her with a plate of assorted mini-cakes.        

 

“It’s always a delight to have you visit, but do not get too carried away. We will be serving dinner soon and your mother would not like it if she finds out that you are too full to sup with her.” The man smiles as he watches the little one feast upon his creations. His gaze lands on the timid adult looming behind the girl, and he kindly gestures for Miyoung to try the treats. “Miss, do indulge yourself with some snacks.” He prompts one of his subordinates to provide stools for their visitors and little Soojung wastes no time in thanking the young man who lifts her to settle on the stool as she resumes stuffing herself with delightful pastries.

 

Miyoung is in the middle of chewing on strawberry shortcake when her phone rings in urgency. She manages to swallow the pastry before wiping to answer the call. Her face pales when she hears the voice from the other side of the line. Eyes immediately lands on the head chef before shifting to the oblivious little one sitting among them.

 

“O-okay.” Miyoung answers before quickly pocketing her phone and prompting for Soojung’s attention. “Soojung-ah…”

 

The little girl looks up at her with curiosity.

 

“Your mommy and daddy want you at the hospital.”

 

+++

 

“Sooyeon.”

 

She stirs, but her body betrays her. She finds herself kept still.

 

“Sooyeon.”

 

A familiar voice calls out for her.

 

‘Taengoo.’ She tries calling out for him, but he seems distant.

 

“Sooyeon.” Again, he calls her and Sooyeon clamors for his touch, for his warmth to engulf her.

 

But then-

 

Another hand takes hold of hers and Sooyeon opens her eyes to see a differe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter