RED LIGHT

From the Old and Torn Portfolio
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Inhale.

 

Exhale.

 

Inhale.

 

Exhale.

 

Pupils constricted, then dilated. The target was moving. The barrel followed; the target not leaving the line of sight. A sharp breath and a short release, she squeezed the trigger like it was a delicate thing.

 

A shot had been fired.

 

Her gun was puffing smoke, exhaling the fume into the air. Lips half upturned into a partial smile. She succeeded.

 

“Target eliminated.”

 

“Good job, K. Return to base.”

 

K dismantled her rifle, hiding the weapon’s parts in different inconspicuous accessories before she left the rooftop. The chaos that welcomed her when she reached the base of the building made her inwardly snicker. She feigned a surprised and confused look, asking the nearest person what happened as she adjusted her backpack on her back.

 

The man had told her that someone had been shot by an unknown person on the head and he had advised her to stay inside for safety. She thanked the man for his concern and went back inside the edifice, choosing a different route of escape. She slipped down into the underground parking lot and managed to find her car, a red Range Rover Evoque.

 

K was out in the highway in no time; her mission was a success. Her phone rang just as she was about to merge with the busy traffic.

 

“Jung Soojung, what’s taking you so long?” The voice rang from the line.

 

“I’m on my way, unnie. I was just caught in traffic.”

 

“Jeez, you’re seriously a bad driver… Just stay safe and get your over here. I’m hungry…”

 

“All right. Now stop calling me. You’re breaking my concentration over here.”

 

“Fine.”

 

And then, the call ended. Soojung snickered as she pictured her sister’s annoyed yet defeated face. It was moments like this that made her feel normal. She was left in silence for a minute while driving when another call came.

 

“Hello?” Soojung said, eyes still locked on the road.

 

“Jung Soojung!” A familiar voice chirped.

 

“Yah! Jinri-ah, I’m driving!”

 

“Oh… You are?”

 

“Yes, I’m driving. Anyway, why did you call?”

 

“You’re DRIVING?!”

 

Soojung flinched at the raised pitch coming from the other line. “Yes. How many times do I have to tell you that? And why are you calling me?”

 

“Oh… I just miss you, darling.”

 

“AWKWARD… Seriously, Choi Jinri… What is it that you want? You’re going to make me crash my car!”

 

Jinri’s chuckles rang through the car, much to Soojung’s annoyance.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter