Raison d'être (Part 10)

From the Old and Torn Portfolio
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

10

 

Little fingers caress smooth skin as dawn seeps through thin, fragile curtains. She stirs, feeling light wisps of hair teasing her face. Someone is hovering over her, watching her and she feels those eyes despite her stupor. Sooyeon shifts, stretches her arms up as she awakens. Opening her eyes, her clearing vision registers her beloved daughter wide awake.

 

Soojung’s familiar dark orbs capture her soul. Sooyeon halts her actions; the yawn brewing from , diffuses into a short huff. The little girl, watching her, leans back on her knees and smiles. “Good morning, Mommy.”

 

Sooyeon’s lips curve upwards, pulling her daughter for a sweet morning kiss on the little one’s forehead. “Morning, Baby.” The mother mumbles against her child’s porcelain skin. Giggles resound throughout the room as the little girl basks in her mother’s love. The mother-daughter pair fails to notice a pair of eyes watching from the couch, silently enjoying the interactions between Sooyeon and Soojung as they exchange light giggles and sweet kisses.

 

As if she feels the eyes on her, Sooyeon turns to meet Miyoung’s dark orbs observing her. “Good morning.” Sooyeon timidly says as she lets out a small smile at Miyoung. The recipient of the greeting smiles back before standing, “Good morning. I’m heading out to get breakfast. Would you like anything?” Sooyeon shakes her head after noting her own breakfast already laid out on the bedside table. Miyoung heads for the door but pauses when Sooyeon calls out.

 

“Miyoung…”

 

The younger woman turns, “Yes, Sooyeon?”

 

“Can you, uhm, bring Soojung along? She might not like sharing the hospital food with me…” The sight of Sooyeon fiddling with her fingers like a child would, prompts Miyoung heart to flutter for a moment.

 

“I’d love to.” Miyoung smiles at the child, who beams a toothy grin at her. Heading closer to the bed, Miyoung stretches out her arms for Soojung to hold and the little girl never hesitates to come into Miyoung’s arms.

 

Sooyeon watches as her daughter gets comfortable with her employee and the sight of Miyoung holding her little girl makes Sooyeon’s heart break into two. A part of her is glad that Soojung still has someone who can take care of her in the absence of the child’s parents, but another part is hurt to see Soojung in the arms of someone who is not her father. Sooyeon shakes herself from her reverie when Soojung calls out to her, “Mommy, Auntie Miyoung and I will be going now.” The young mother can only smile as her daughter and Miyoung disappear behind her room’s door.

 

A sigh escapes Sooyeon’s lips as she leans back into her stack of pillows. Her heart is pounding loudly against her ribcage as her thoughts wonder about the uncertain future. She worries for Soojung and her unborn child; she worries for Taeyeon, who still remains unconscious until now. Her mind and heart cannot take it when her thoughts bring her to a possibility that she will be living a future without someone to share her burdens with. And that alone scares her as she unveils her vulnerability in the confines of her room.

 

The food tastes bland and unappetizing as she wallows in her disturbed thoughts. She quietly decides to check on her ex-husband lying a couple of rooms down the hall. The stress is not putting her mind at ease. A hand unconsciously rests on her belly and Sooyeon musters a sad smile as she rubs her abdomen. “I’m sorry little one. You came at such a bad time. Your big sis may have encountered similar struggles, but she has Daddy by my side and we felt invincible, but now… I cannot say the same for you, Baby…”

 

A lone tear falls and settles on the white blanket, disappearing as fast as it had dropped in the clean sheet. “I feel so lost now…” She finally sobs as she wallows deep in her distress.

 

+++

 

Miyoung holds her chuckle as she watches the little girl messily eat her pancakes and bacon. She leans forward with a table napkin on hand and gently wipes off the honey that had stuck on little Soojung’s face. Soojung musters a toothy grin before chomping on her piece of pancake. Miyoung’s lips tug upwards in return, finding the little girl endearing with such simple gestures.

 

“Slow down, little one. You do not want to choke on your food.” Miyoung gently mutters as she cuts the pancakes into smaller pieces for the little girl. Soojung’s grin widens as she

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter