f(Holiday)

From the Old and Torn Portfolio
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

A string is pulled, a breath taken, and then, an arrow released.

 

It slices through thin air and lands on a target with a soft thump. A groan escapes and then crimson fluid flows before a body falls limp on the ground, coating the snow in carmine.

 

A satisfied smile plays on the archer’s lips as she slings her bow onto her body, walking over to her victim and picking up a small pouch of coins. She measures its weight under her hand, tossing it some into the air before catching it with her palm. Her grin widens.

 

‘This will be enough for the holiday.’ She thought as she makes her way out of the woods, away from the dead criminal she has just dispatched and into the bustling village where chimneys smoked and the air is filled with drunken merriment and shouts of festivity.

 

She greets some of the familiar old folks going about their daily business, bowing to them in courtesy as she passes by. She pauses at the smell of enticing bread being taken out of the ovens from the town’s famed bakery. A pleased hum of approval escapes her lips as she decides to stop by the store.

 

It is already teeming with people, lining up for the delicious hot bread and some warm chocolate to flush it down, but she is just there for the tasty treat. She chances upon the old man manning the shop and the elderly motioned for her to come to the back. She smiles and follows him as he beacons her to enter through the back door where all the magic of the bread is being made.

 

“Come, Victoria. We have saved some for you and your friends. Happy Christmas! Tell the others to take care.” The kind old man said as he handed her a packed little bundle filled with some of their famed bread. She graciously received the package and returned him with a smile and ‘thanks’ before putting forth her purse to pay for the food.

 

The old man shook his hands, “No. No need to pay for them. We owe this much to you and your friends. Had it not been for you, our town would be overrun by bandits and other criminals. Don’t worry about the cost. Save your money for other stuff, dear. And do tell the others that I’ve packed all of their favorites there.”

 

“Thank you, kind sir. We will graciously eat the food you have packed for us.” Victoria mused as she bowed and bid him farewell, her smile never faltering as she turned and made her way through the alley and mingled with the crowd.

 

+++

 

Huffs and grunts fill the room as two fighters face off each other. The smaller one charges at the slightly taller opponent and without a second thought, brings out her gloved fist. The taller one evades but misses the knee coming up to her stomach. The taller girl fails at blocking the knee and takes the hit with a groan of pain.

 

She teeters backwards, clutching her stomach before she attempts at maintaining her balance, watching the short one stand with a grin on her face. “Didn’t see that coming from you, Luna.” The taller one says with a scrunched face.

 

Luna just smiles, ready in her fighting stance as her opponent recovers from the pain and raises both fists. They square off once more, circling each other like a bunch of predators before the taller one launches the attack this time. Luna braces for the attack as her opponent jumps, foot readying to land on her head and with a step to the side, Luna dodges the attack.

 

She does not expect the incoming kick from the opponent though. It was a fake flying kick intent on distracting Luna from the real blow, which came when her opponent spun in mid-air, bringing her other foot to hit Luna in the head.

 

Luna hisses in pain as she flips backwards, landing on her knees when her head begins to spin from the impact on her head. Hand clutches her head as she grimaces, “Ow! That hurt, Amber!”

 

Amber comes over to Luna’s side, worry written in her face as the smaller girl slowly lies down on the wooden floorboards. “Oh dear. I’m really sorry, Luna. I’ll get you some ice to soothe the pain.” And with that, Amber stands and attempts to scurry away when she felt a grip on her leg before it yanked her off her foot. She was unprepared for the sudden assault that she fell face first onto the ground.

 

Then, a loud round of laughter resounded throughout the room. Amber grunted as she turns to see Luna looking fine and laughing at her demise. Amber lies down on the floor, in surrender before she laughs along with the midget who tricked her into the mess that she was now in.

 

They both get up from the floor a few moments later. “Let’s wash up and then get some grub to fill our stomachs before we head home.” Amber says as they exit the room. Luna nods with a smile, “We have to buy some cake for the five of us.”

 

“Good idea!”

 

+++

 

A twig snaps and narrowed eyes shift towards the direction of the sound. Brows furrow as they hide behind a huge trunk. They tug their navy blue scarf to cover half their face before they move to another hiding place. Like a cat on the prowl, they climb up the tal

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter