Scars

From the Old and Torn Portfolio
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

She stares at the lines on her palms, lines paved not by genetics but by a blade. The wind disturbs her contemplation as a shadow ghosts over her form. Dark eyes stare up to meet a thin frame, green eyes locking on her. “It does not seem to heal.” The person mutters, eyeing her scars. She smiles at the looming figure, “No. It will always be there to remind me.”

 

“I’m curious.” Her smile fades. Head tilts in confusion. Dark locks sway in the wind. “About what, Victoria?” She asks. Victoria continues to stare at the prominent lines of her palms. “I’m curious about those.” Victoria points to her scars. She tenses, which made Victoria feel sorry for pointing it out. “Sorry. I should not have done that. I’m sorry, Krystal.”

 

Krystal gives her a sad smile, “Not your fault, Vic. It’s just… I’m not comfortable when it comes to these things.” A hand clasps hers, catching her off guard. Krystal’s head tilts up to look into green eyes. Victoria’s smile eases her internal turmoil. Victoria’s thumb gently traces Krystal’s scars, sending comforting sensations through the other girl’s veins.

 

A soft gale sweeps through the deck on which they stand and the sound of the waves crashing against their wooden ship shifts their attention as a dark cloud hovers over the horizon. Brows furrow knowing that beneath that cloud lies the enemy. Krystal pulls herself up, taking a stand beside Victoria.

 

“Orders?” Krystal asks without taking her eyes off the gloomy clouds. Victoria pats her shoulder, “Rouse Sulli and Amber. Tell them we’ve got company.” Krystal playfully salutes at her, “Aye, aye. Cap’n.” Then, she disappears below deck, leaving Victoria to her devices.

 

The captain moves to the helm, finding her trusted first mate manning the wheel. Blue eyes lock on Victoria. “Not a fair sail, Captain.” Victoria stands beside the petite lass, nodding as they brace for the storm. “We all have our fair share of turbulent seas in this boat. Some, like you, Luna, survive unscathed, others not so.” Luna looks to her captain, blue eyes meeting green ones as their minds both summon a certain scarred person.

 

“It’s been years since we took her in, but she has never spilled on those marks.” Luna remarks, turning the wheel some. Victoria hums in agreement, “It must involve someone close to her.”

 

+++

 

Krystal chances upon the crew’s quarters, seeing Sulli and Amber asleep in their respective hammocks. “Hey, gear up. We’ve got company!” Krystal shakes both slumbering crew before she reaches over to her part of the room and takes her trusted daggers and pistols, and darts past the two half-asleep corsairs. “Come on!” She mumbles before she slips back onto the deck and races to the forecastle deck. Sulli and Amber follow her lead with the latter struggling with her boots.

 

The three lasses watch the churning tides before their eyes turn forward to the gloomy clouds. Sulli fixes a black kerchief over her head, fixing the knots at the back of her skull. Amber dons her hood, a smile playing on her lips as she sees shadows in the mist. The lesser crew scurry about behind them, fulfilling the orders being barked by their captain. “You three!” They tense at the domineering voice of their captain.

 

Amber, Sulli, and Krystal turn to meet alluring green eyes locking on them. “I trust we win this one?” The trio grin at each other before mustering a hearty reply, “Aye, Captain!” Victoria nods at them and turns away, “Good. In your positions now.” With her command, Amber takes hold of a rope and begins to climb towards the crow’s nest. Victoria paces back to the bridge, situating herself beside Luna. Sulli stays at the prow as Krystal slips just right under the bridge like a predator waiting for prey.

 

Their frigate comes upon a fleet just as the storm begins to brew. The captain signals for the cannons to be ready as Luna veers the ship parallel to the enemy. “Fire!” Victoria shouts. Ear-splitting blasts echo over the frigid waters as battle cries resound through the seas. Rain begins to pour as drenched men swinging on ropes jump onto the deck falling prey to Sulli’s twin swords.

 

Shots erupt from the other ship and the agile swordswoman ducks f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter