Triple Threat tops charts

Triple Threat

Triple Threat tops all charts with "Ugly" 

299,540 Views

The new rookie girl group Triple Threat are proving once more that they definitely are a threat. Their recent comeback with "Ugly" has given them more popularity than ever before. Since their outstanding comeback stage on the famous MAMA awards all eyes have been on these talented five girls. They've earned triple crowns on all music programs and sold more than 800,000 copies of their album. That's the most albums sold by a newly debuted girl group. On top of that, their song "Ugly" is currently No.7 on the itunes chart. They're number one on the Japan hot 100 billboard, beating EXO with "Miracles in December". 

We were lucky enough to get an interview with the girls of Triple Threat and ask them how they feel about their sudden popularity. 

Q: Why do you think "Ugly" has become such a huge hit?

I think it's because it's a song that a lot of people can relate to. "Ugly" is basically a song about not being able to fit in, thinking like you're not good enough, or that you're always all alone. Being a teen is one of the toughest years of growing up. You're at a stage where you start to learn more about the real world and start to think about your future. Pressure and stress will build up as everyone wants to be the best.  Then they become scared and feel hopeless because of all these obstacles that they feel like giving up. So, I wrote the song based on my experience hoping that the audience could relate to it as well. Because I know that I wasn't the only one who felt that way and I wanted to give them some kind of encouragement or feeling that they're not alone and that they must never give up. So I think that's why "ugly" is a huge hit.

Q: Yes, when I heard this song I started to think back to my teenage years when I felt the same.

Right, and listening to this song might bring a few people to tears. For those who have a dream but are too afraid to pursue it. This could be like a way of giving them strength to work even more harder to prove that they're not you know "ugly". To show that they have a voice, feelings, and their own dreams and ideas that they want to follow.  

Q: Wow you girls are really an inspiration. Now, everyone wants to know a time when you girls felt like the song "ugly". When you girls felt like you were a nobody. 

Well, for me it was basically my whole life till I was accepted by TOP media. I felt like nobody cared about me, nobody wanted to listen to me sing or watch me dance. I felt like a complete...loser. A pathetic little girl with no future. Then when I got into TOP media I felt like people were finally listening and watching me. 

For me I felt "ugly" once I entered TOP media as a trainee. Sure, people saw my talent but I still felt like a nobody. There were so many talented trainees who were better than me. I felt like my chances of becoming a singer were 0 out of 10. No matter how hard I practiced, how late I stayed up, how early I woke up, I was still not good enough. The line "Just like her I wanna be pretty!" Is like how I felt when I wished that I could be as good as the other trainees. 

Q: Those sound like painful memories for you guys. With all that doubt and stress how did you still manage to never give up and keep trying?

I think it was our passion and love for music that kept us going. We all felt like giving up, but in the end music was still there to bring us back on our feet and keep us moving forward. No matter how tiring and difficult it was we managed to stay strong by always thinking about that one moment we can have on stage performing our music. That thought and feeling was what encouraged us to keep trying. Eventually all that hard work paid off and it lead us to being part of Triple Threat and recieving all this love and support we have now. 

Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions and we hope the best for Triple Threat. 

Triple Threat: kamsahamnida!