Unknowingly

Unforeseen Harmony

 

Narrator

 

“Oppa, I can’t believe Appa would resort to this!” Nara exclaimed, hugging her brother tight. Jaejoong pulled away with a grin on his face.

Nara looked at him with scrutinizing eyes. “You want this to happen, don’t you?”

Jaejoong flung his hands up. “What? It’s good publicity! And it’s just an act, Na. We can’t take what’s been done. So, you two should act as if you’re lovers to the public. Eventually the media will forget, and the acting can stop. Besides, you guys are friends, it won’t be awkward.”

She sat down, emotions fading on her face. “Hmm… for the company.”

 

Luhan sat there on his studio, completely bothered by the situation. He was nervous for some unknown reason, and his heart won’t stop beating fast. His mind jumbled with thoughts, and for once, he just wanted to calm himself.

With steady hands, he unlocked the balcony windows and waited patiently. He sat there for about an hour, just looking at the city, when the singing began.

He closed his eyes and let the song take him to places.

After the last notes, the closing of the window followed.

“Who are you? Why do I feel like… I know you.” Luhan mumbled, the voice still ringing in his head.

 

Another morning for the busy lives of people all over the world. And for some business tycoons it’s just another day of achievement.

“Did you hear about the news?” Xiumin barged in Tao’s room, holding a bag of chips. Tao groaned as he covered himself with the sheets. “Get out, Ge.”

Xiumin shrugged nonchalantly and turned the television on. “It’s rare that I come here early, Tao. Get your off that bed and show me some love.”

Tao groaned again. “Just… get lost! And turn that off, it’s so noisy!”

Xiumin sighed, setting aside his bag of chips. He jumped to the younger’s bed and flung the comforter away. Tao snuggled like a ball on his pillow, his forehead creased. “Why are you here you evil bun? Please spare me from doom!”

Xiumin smiled goofily. “Have you heard the news, dear lowly being?”

“No. Wait— what news?” Tao sat up, his hair in an awful mess. He twitched his lip in annoyance. Xiumin giggled as he hopped out of bed and returned to his chips. “About Luhan and Nara.”

Tao slipped on his furry slippers and walked to the bathroom. “What about them?” He hollered. Xiumin didn’t respond, waiting for Tao to finish his business. In a matter of minutes, he was out with a towel hanging on his neck. “So?”

Xiumin grinned. “So you don’t know…”

“Just spill it out, Ge.” He tapped his foot impatiently against the marble floors.

The older smiled knowingly. “Well, I’ll let you see for yourself.” With that he threw the newspaper to him, and swiftly caught it. Tao carefully read the lines and his eyes grew round. “When was this?!”

“Yesterdayymhm.” Xiumin mumbled, munching on chips.

 

 

Nara scrunched her nose as she carefully stepped in her office. Her secretary smiled at her as she got in. “I placed your pending files in your table, young miss.”

She nodded and politely motioned for her to get out.

“And, congratulations on your new relationship.” With that she exited the room. Nara looked at the spot where her secretary had been standing. She let out an amused chuckle, not even sparing the documents on her table a glance. “If they only knew.”

She tapped her watch impatiently, waiting for Daehyun to arrive. Moments later, the door creaked open, and her head snapped up. “Mr. Jung, I believe you—“

Luhan blinked innocently. “The secretary… let me in.”

Nara stood up from her chair, flustered. “Ge! I didn’t know, I’m so sorry!” She mumbled, biting her lower lip. Luhan stood there and touched the nape of his neck.

“Well, this is…” He chuckled, glancing at her. Nara’s toes curled as she lowered her head. “Come in, Ge.” She fibbed. Luhan stepped in and closed the door behind him. He slowly walked towards her and exhaled. “So… I guess…”

“You’re… my boyfriend?” Nara squeaked, looking up. Luhan looked back at her with round eyes, baffled. She realized her mistake and lightly cursed herself. “No, what… what I meant was… Uhm…”

“Yeah, I’m your boyfriend.” He chuckled, saving her from the situation. Blood rushed to her cheeks in an instant. *How can you get any dumber, Nara?!*

Luhan again exhaled as if the atmosphere would take a 360 degree turn if he did. They were both standing across each other, stiff and tense. He didn’t like the atmosphere at all. “Nara…”

“Hmm?” She tried to look at him, but ended up looking at other things. Luhan heartily laughed when he noticed her unease. “This is really awkward.”

She nodded, biting her lips. “It is.”

“And it shouldn’t be.” He corrected, shaking his head. “Come on, I’m still your Luhan ge!”

Nara slowly looked at him, and a sly smile tugged on her lips. “Or maybe some alien from outerspace that exacty looks like my Luhan Ge?"

Luhan clapped his hands like a child. “Ya, I am your original Luhan Ge. Wow that sounds nice being called yours!” He wiggled his eyesbrows. She reddened, again shutting her eyes and cursing mentally. "What.. What I meant was that... The Luhan Ge I'm..."

Luhan chuckled and cut her mid-way. "I was joking, Na."

"Right." She mumbled and chuckled sheepishly as she made them both sit at the couch. Luhan giddily jumped at it. “So, we’re 'lovers' now?” He made those quotation marks sign on the air with his hands, brow raised.

“L..Lovers? uh.. Ya! You’re making it awkward again!” She scowled.

He chuckled, raising his hands in midair. “Whoa, whoa. Easy missy! I mean, we’re pretend lovers now?” He chuckled like a child, which sent her to giggle fits.

When she finally recovered she nodded. “Yeah, I guess we are.”

“Then we should go out on dates, right?”

“Hmm. I suggest we eat out.”

“I knew you would say that.” He rolled his eyes.

Nara eyed him pointedly. “What? Do you want to do other things?”

Luhan snorted. “No, no. I’m fine with satisfying your hunger that comes every five minutes, because unfortunately, your stomach is a bottomless pit. So I’ll pick you up for lunch later, Ms. Bottomless pit.”

“Ya!”

 

She sat alone in her office, still thinking of what her life would be now that she needed to pretend to be in love. Her mind wandered off to Luhan, and a sweet chuckle escaped her lips. “Of course it wouldn’t be awkward, he’s my gege.”

The door creaked open, and this time she didn’t speak abruptly. Daehyun smiled sheepishly as he closed the door. “I’m so sorry, we had an emergency meeting at the company, and I wasn’t able to contact your secretary.”

Nara smiled warmly. “It’s fine, no worries.”

Daehyun smiled back and walked towards his usual seat. “So… let’s start?”

Nara nodded as she fixed the papers in front of her. “Here.”

 

“Nara-sshi?” Daehyun stopped explaining and bore his eyes into her. She didn’t flinch, her eyes far from the papers they were currently discussing.

His lips slightly tugged into an amused smile. He examined her close profile. She had long lashes, soft nose line and pink plump lips. He wondered… *Darn it, Daehyun! What the lumps are you doing?* He shook his head and leaned away, clearing his throat.

Nara woke up from her small daze and sent him an apologetic look. “Oh, where were we?”

Daehyun bit his lip. “Uhm… we’re close to finishing these.”

“Oh, that’s good. I’m starving.” She grinned and focused back on the papers. Daehyun mentally cursed himself and reluctantly focused back.

 

Jaejoong gave Luhan’s shoulder a comforting squeeze. “You two can do this.” He winked. Luhan sheepishly touched the nape of his neck. “Well… for the companies.”

Jaejoong chuckled. “I’m sorry if you both had to resort to this fake dating scheme, but it’s the only way, you know. We can’t… stop our fathers from their plans.”

Luhan nodded, smiling. “Yeah, I know. It’s fine, we already talked.”

Jaejoong nodded when he noticed that his sister’s office is nearing. “Come, I’ll send the prince to her damsel in distress.” He jokingly mused and led him to her office.

Luhan bit his lip, suppressing his smile.

font

Nara’s hyped older brother opened the door wide and beamed. “Kim Nara, your boyfriend is here to pick you up for lunch! Quick, don’t make him wai—“

Nara looked up and glared at Jaejoong. Daehyun’s eyes widened as he stood straight and fumbled slightly. Jaejoong realized his mistake and made a face.

“I’m so sorry! Forgive me I thought it is already past working hours.” He slightly bowed at Daehyun who bowed back. “It’s no problem, sunbae. We didn’t notice the time.”

Luhan stood there awkwardly. Nara did the same. And so did Daehyun.

“I believe I just made the situation awkward, and by stating that it is awkward I am again making it more awkward than it already seems.” Jaejoong blurted out, letting out a forced chuckle. Nara rolled her eyes at his brother’s attempt and gently pushed him out the door. “Oppa, just go now. Bye~”

Jaejoong let himself be dragged out. “I’m sorry young folks!” He hollered before completely exiting the room.

Dehyun stood there, uncertain of what to do. But he was examining Luhan who was also just standing there. *B…Boyfriend?*

Nara exhaled and chuckled sheepishly as she got in. “I’m sorry, Oppa’s… weird like that.”

Daehyun smiled at her. “We can finish it by tomorrow, Nara-sshi. I know you’re starving, right?”

Nara nodded and smiled at him gratefully. “Thanks, Daehyun-sshi. Oh, do you… want to join us for lunch?”

Luhan was just standing there with his good natured smile. “Yeah, why don’t you… join us for lunch Mr. Jung?”

Daehyun politely refused the offer. “I have things to attend to, I must go. Thanks for the offer.” With that he flashed them his signature slight smile and exited the room.

Luhan walked towards the coat hanger and handed Nara her coat. She gladly slipped on to it. “Thanks ge.”

“Anything.” He winked, making her roll her eyes. “You seem greasy today.”

He shrugged and opened the door for her. “I have my duties.”

“Oh, what a gentleman.” She mocked in a sing song voice.

Luhan chuckled and closed the door behind them. “Tell me something new.”

As they stepped into a newly opened resto just by the street of the Kim building, it was chaos.

Flashes here, flashes there. Luhan seemed distracted as he covered Nara from the blinding lights. The reporters bombarded them with questions that were far from true.

“If you allow us, we would like to have our meal peacefully.”

 

“Again, another daebak scene from you.” She mused as he pulled out a chair for her. Luhan grinned and sat across her. “What did I do?”

She shrugged nonchalantly as she flipped her menu. “You just shooed them away like that. Just like a gentleman.”

“I think I’m destined to do that.” He clasped his hands together as he gazed at her with meaningful eyes. She pursed her lips, challenging. “Do what, huh?”

“Impress you.” He winked.

Nara pretended to gag. “Stop your being greasy it’s creeping me out!”

He smiled widely. “Oh does it? Great, I’ll do it more often.”

With that, she could only groan in protest.

 

____________________________

seems like these two are getting... closer ;>