Be Strong

Unforeseen Harmony

 

NARRATOR

 

Mr. Xi observed his son pace endlessly, holding what seemed to be a newspaper. It was already too crumpled.

He craned his neck and saw that the newspaper was weeks ago, when the article about his fake relationship with Nara was announced.

“Son?”

Luhan continued pacing like he heard nothing.

“Xi Luhan.”

He stopped and looked at his father. “Yes, Papa?”

“How are you and Nara?” He questioned. Luhan nodded and forced a smile. “We’re… fine.”

One thing Mr. Xi was very keen at, was his son’s attitude. For years they have been together, he saw him grow up with his habits. He knows when his forehead creses, he has something bothering him. He knows that when he was uneasy and quiet, he was contemplating within himself.

“Okay, good.” He replied. “Invite her sometime here, okay?”

Luhan nodded absentmindedly.

 

“The blue one! It’s coming out!!!”

Daehyun positioned himself and with all his strength, hit the mole. The digital score increased. Nara grinned and pumped her fist. “Way to go, Dae!!”

Daehyun rubbed his hands together and huffed. “Wow, I feel strong.”

“Daebak.” Nara tapped his shoulder. She was smiling freely, and Daehyun loved every moment of it. She even called him Dae! His heart was now floating in euphoria.

He looked around and something caught his eyes. “Wait here.” He winked. She rolled her eyes and shooed him away. “Go, take all the time in the world.”

He chuckled and ran off.

Moments later he returned with a big cloud of red cotton candy. He grinned sheepishly and handed it to her.

She gasped. “There’s red cotton candy? This is my first time seeing this!”

He chuckled. “Me too. I thought of you after seeing it. It just screams… strong and powerful. Like you when you work.”

She bit her lip, flustered with the compliment. “Uh, thanks Dae.”

“Anything, Na.” He smiled, loving how it sounded when he said Na. He felt closer to her in a way. Now his heart won’t stop skipping beats.

 

Kris was walking with Chaerin in the mall. Again, he was forced by his mom to take time off from work and entertain their guest. The girl got some guts she won’t let go of his hand. She was literally clinging on to him. But Kris didn’t have any choice, she was gone for a long time.

“Jiaheng Ge—“

“Not that name, Chae.” He snapped, annoyed. His friends won’t stop teasing him with the Li Jiaheng thing. Chaerin nodded and bit her lip. “Yi Fan ge, can we play that?”

Kris’ eyes followed hers and shook his head. “No.” He inwardly cringed. He hates machine games, those arcade games.

“Oh, look, a red cotton candy!” She beamed, ignoring Kris’ refusal.

Kris groaned and looked at the cotton candy. It was indeed unique. It was red, for goodness sake. The girl holding it seemed to look familiar though.

His brow rose in recognition.

“Kris Ge!”

His lips tugged into a smile when Nara recognized him too. He walked to her direction with a confused Chaerin still clinging on his arm.

He was a little surprised to see her with company.

“Oh, Ge, this is Jung Daehyun of Jung Enterprises.” Nara chimed. He nodded stiffly to the man and tapped Nara’s head. Nara bit her lip uneasily and looked up to meet Kris’ eyes. “Ge… can I ask you something?”

Kris nodded, sensing her unease.

Nara smiled and spoke. “Is Luhan Ge mad at me? He has been acting weird… and he didn’t call.”

Kris brow rose again. “Really?”

“Hmm.” She replied, sadness painted on her face. Daehyun was shifting his foot uncomfortably on the back, not wanting to pry in ther conversation. Chaerin was… well… looking around.

Kris seemed confused too. “Maybe he’s busy. Just wait, he’ll call.”

 

He watched as Daehyun and Nara walked side by side. His lip tugged into a smirk. “I think I know what’s happening…” He mumbled, amused.

“Ge, you didn’t even introduce me to her.” Chaerin pouted. Kris looked at her and rolled his eyes. “You should’ve introduced yourself, kid.”

Chaerin in her breath and clung on his arm once more. He sighed, fishing his phone out his pocket.

Nara and Daehyun are on a date right now. Just sharing. – Kris

He pushed send and chuckled to himself.

*Let’s see how dense you are, Lulu.*

 

Luhan’s grip on his handphone tightened. He just read Kris' message, and well, that stirring thing inside him was on alert. His brows furrowed and that negative feeling creeped inside him once again. As if it disappeared.

He scrolled down his contacts and looked at your name. He exhaled, his thumb shaking. Should he press it, or not?

Mr. Xi was walking by his back when he intentionally peeked on his phone screen. He saw what was happening and chuckled inwardly. His son was too engrossed to notice.

“I hope this works out for you, or I’ll need to meddle and make it work, Han. I want you to be happy.” He muttered to himself, walking out the room.

 

“Luhan! You’re so slow!” Xiumin barged inside. “How can you let Nara go on dates with other guys?! You’re her boyfriend!!”

Luhan slowly looked up to meet Xiumin’s glare. “Fake boyfriend. What’s up with you, anyway?”

Xiumin scoffed in disbelief. “What’s up with YOU! You’re the one letting go of your chances here.” He crossed his arms and huffed. Luhan chuckled dryly. “What are you saying?”

Ximuin looked at him and snickered. “For goodness sake, Luhan! We all know you like Nara! Stop being dense!”

Luhan tensed. He looked at Xiumin with shock painted all over his face. Xiumin clucked his tongue and looked away. “Na-ah Luhan. Don’t give me that look!”

“W-what?”

“Lulu, dear lulu. Do you ever wonder why you’re avoiding her?”

Luhan shook his head. Confusion was ruling as of the moment. “B-because… I’m feeling weird.”

“Define that weird. It’s only me.” Xiumin pointed.

Lhan sighed. “I don’t know… I don’t… I don’t like seeing her with other guys. It makes me… somehow angry. And I don’t like being angry…”

Xiumin chuckled with delight. “Gosh, you’re so stupid!”

Luhan bit his lip and looked down. He doubted if Xiumin can help him at all.

Xiumin laughed and tapped his shoulder. “That’s what you call jealousy, Lulu~”

“J-jealousy?” How can I get jealous if i…” His voice faltered, realization dawning on him. Of course, that was the answer. He was denying it for a while now.

He buried his face in his palms, breathing heavily. He likes Nara, or maybe it was even more than that. But he was too afraid, too afraid that for her, he’ll always be just the Gege.

He was afraid. They agreed to this fake relationship and all, but he never saw himself falling for her for real. That was just absurd before. Now, it was slapping him hard in the face.

“Lulu, you don’t have time to be a loser and whine about how slow and dense you are. Get the girl, !” Xiumin pushed him off the chair. He stumbled back and nodded slowly. “Of course,” He whispered. “I’ll be strong.”

“Go!” Xiumin screamed.

Luhan jerked up and ran out the door.

 

 

_______________________________________

he's slow. forgive him kekekee