Truth

Unforeseen Harmony

 

NARRATOR

 

Mr. Xi’s grip on his wine glass loosened. It fell on the carpeted floor, spilling the deep red liquid all over.

It took him several heavy steps to reach the couch, pinching the bridge of his nose. The phone was still secured on his hand, but he soon threw it to the floor, creating a loud sound.

It fell on the floor, broken to pieces.

Luhan walked in his father’s tudy. He saw the phone and frowned.

“Pa, what happened? Are you okay?”

Mr. Xi looked up and trembled. “Y-your mother.”

Luhan’s brows furrowed. His mother died when he was about 13 years old, in a car accident. It was hard for him that time, but soon he recovered with his father’s unending care.

But still, he longed for her mother's embrace. 

“… Why, Pa?” He muttered hesitantly.

His father’s face looked pained and angry at the same time. That face made Luhan's stomach churn for some unknown reason.

“It was never an accident. The police called.” He hissed.

Luhan’s fist clenched unconsciously.

 

Daehyun smiled as he placed the card on the bouquet of roses. He paid the boy he hired and smiled in satisfaction as he slipped in his car.

“I hope you like it.” He muttered as he drove away, to meet his uncle once again.

 

Nara’s eyes widened as her secretary brought the flowers in. She read the note and her lips parted knowingly at the initials.

JD

It was obvious. She smiled, but somehow something was bothering her. She remembered that night well.

 

“Daehyun-shhi…”

“Please look at me.” He mumbled.

Nara hesitantly lifted her head up.

He smiled triumphantly. “I found out that I am falling for you, hard.”

 

She sat down and closed her eyes. She didn’t know what to do, her mind was slowly becoming a mess.

Her phone buzzed beside her and she snatched it up to look at the caller.

Luhan Gege

Her toes curled. It was becoming clear to her now.

 

 

“It was an arranged accident.” The police officer explained. Luhan exhaled and flipped the papers he was examining. “That guy… he just admitted now? W-why?”

“The company, the people that hired him threateaned his life and his family’s as well. There were several of them who were hired. Some were already killed for attempting to admit.”

Luhan’s jaw clenched. “So it was someone of upper status that hired them? Someone with... authority and power?”

“Someone with connections. It was Daehan Communications. According to research, Daehan had been your company’s toughest rival. They have every motive to attack. But three years after your mother’s accident, it went bankrupt and is now nothing. Traces were just erased.”

The officer flinched when Luhan suddenly stood up. “How can we trace Daehan’s chairman? He killed my mother, he should pay.” He hissed, his forehead creasing with anger.

“We’re currently investigating for their whereabouts, sir. We will info—“

“Do it as fast as you can, officer. I will do everything it takes to get the justice my mother yearned for how many years without us even knowing.”

With that he walked away, his face hard and jaw clenched.

Let the chase begin, he thought.

 

 

Nara smied at the Xi butler that led her to Luhan’s room. She slowly slipped inside and smiled at Luhan who was writing something. She cleared , making Luhan jerk his head to her direction.

“You told me you couldn’t eat with the other Geges and Oppas, so I brought you food instead. Dimsum and Chinese fried rice for you.” She mumbled.

Luhan felt his negative feelings vanish for a moment. He softened and smiled at Nara.

“Thanks, Na.” He muttered as he took the food from her. She popped her lips and sat beside him. “Ge… I heard. About.. your mom.”

Luhan’s brows furrowed for a moment. “Oh, you did?”

“Hmm. I’m sorry to hear that, Ge.” She looked down. Luhan felt his heart flutter. He placed the box down and lifted her chin up. “I’m strong.”

“I know.” She smiled slightly. “You’re Xi Luhan, of course.”

He opened the box and grinned. “Eat with me?”

“Sure.”

 

 

Daehyun closed his eyes as the door shut.

“That bastard!” His uncle roared, throwing the ornaments to the floor. He sat on his chair, his face distorted with fury. “Traitor.” He hissed.

Daehyun exhaled and sat on the couch. He didn’t understand anything. The situation was foreign to him, and yet his uncle called him.

“Can I ask what happened, samchon?”

Mr. Jung faced him with grave eyes. He inhaled and exhaled before speaking.

“What I’m about to tell you is very confidential. But it holds our disposition right now.”

Daehyun nodded. He could feel the intensity from the tone of his uncle’s voice.

“Everything started when Jung Enterprises was yet not born.”

“Before the company started…?” Daehyun trailed off, unsure.

Mr. Jung clenched his fist.

 

 

“Before Jung Enterprises, we were Daehan Communications.”

 

 

___________________________________________________