Sacrifice

Unforeseen Harmony

NARRATOR

 

If only he was wise enough, Nara’s life, as well as Daehyun’s, would not be at stake. If only he had been lucky in life, he wouldn’t have put the life of his dearest on the line. There wouldn’t be something like this. She wouldn’t be bleeding, bruised, and a smile would have been in her face instead of the painful frown.

He had to make things right. He had to stop this madness.

Even for the last time, he needed to make her know how much he loved her.

 

“Can you say something to make him rethink?” Luhan hastily whispered to Daehyun, whose eyes widened in response. Nara was panting heavily, biting her lip in extreme worry and fear.

Daehyun cleared his throat. “Samchon-ah!”

The elder Jung twirled the lighter on his fingers, his goons standing behind him pointing guns at them. He smiled, a glint of evil beaming in his eyes. “Any last words, dear nephew?”

“Remember when you asked me to transfer all you accounts to another account? After you told me about everything? You wanted me to be in charge, didn’t you?”

“I thought I could use you at that time, but I was wrong. You’re a coward.”

Daehyun spit out blood and smirked. “Well I haven’t been too useless at that time.”

“If you’re trying to delay your death, it’s not working.”

The small flicker of flame dangerously sparked on his calloused fingers.

“During the small time you have given me your trust, I have been looking through your past accounts. All your embezzled assets, evidences of your crime involvements, and all your dirty works have gone through my fingers. I know it all.”

The elder Jung remained unfazed. “I’m not worried about that. May I remind you, you are at gunpoint right now. You’ll be dead soon, and all those things you know will vanish in the air.” He finished with a bitter chuckle.

Daehyun chuckled too, but it was more of a victorious one. “Yes, I know. But I’m not done just yet. I just didn’t browse through it, I have been compiling it all. Actually by now it should be there already.”

“Nonsense.”

Luhan quickly worked on the rope on his arms, his hands bleeding as the tight rope scraped his skin. Eventually it got looser that he got the time to pretend he was still tied. He eyed Nara who was looking back at him with bloodshot eyes.

“You don’t want to know where?” Daehyun taunted.

Nara looked at Luhan once again and he gave her a small nod, his bruised lips tightly pressed together.

“The only place where it’s going to be is your graveyard.” The elder Jung spat out.

“Oh?” Daehyun let out a bitter chuckle. “Luhan’s father must be looking at them right now, with the police all planning what to do with you.”

“Y-You piece of !”

The smile on Daehyun’s face was of pure vengeance. “A smart piece of , aren’t I?”

“You dip! Burn this building!  I want them dead!”

 

Before the three could react, the smell of flames surrounded them.

The elder Jung’s jaw clenched as he gave them one last look.

“No!” Nara screamed just as he smirked and let go of the lighter, large flames quickly crawling its way all over the building from the spot where the lighter fell. The elder Jung disappeared with his goons.

Luhan quickly stood up and untied the ropes on Nara and Daehyun. “Quick, we have to get out of here!”

“All the exits are blocked.” Daehyun panted, blood dripping down his lip.

“There must be a way.” Nara replied, looking around the flame-engulfed walls. “There!”

The three quickly ran to a small opening on the wall, smaller than a window, which only had minimal flames below it. Luhan quickly lifted Nara and let her jump out. He let Daehyun next but the latter insisted he go first. Luhan nodded and lifted himself up the opening and jumped out seconds later.

Daehyun quickly lifted himself up after, but some burning debris got in the way. He quickly backed away, looking at the flames that grew taller and taller, covering the small opening that was his only hope as of the moment. “.”

“Daehyun!” Nara screamed, looking at the flames that used to be the small opening. Luhan’s eyes widened as he froze, with Nara screaming by his side. “We got to do something!”

Luhan quickly looked around for something to push away the debris but nothing was there but an empty alley.

“Go! Call the police! He’s getting away!” Daehyun shouted from within the walls. Nara felt the tears streaming down her face. “No! We won’t leave you there!”

“Damn it, just go, Nara! Don’t let him run away. Please, go now!”

Luhan’s brows furrowed as he held Nara’s arm.

She sobbed and looked back at him, shaking her head vigorously.”I’m not leaving him!”

Luhan held her shoulders and looked straight at her tear-filled eyes.

“We need to leave! We’ll get some help. We need to hurry before the flames grow bigger inside. Daehyun’s going to be saved if we hurry!”

She nodded and they both fled for the exit, just as the sound of the sirens echoed from the distance.

 

_____________________________________________