Chapter Eleven: Monotony

Killing an Angel

 

“…I want to ask you something.”

No.

“Do you know why the modern hunter kills?”

No! Get out! Go away!

I’m not listening to you!

I’m not listening!

“For fun.”

_______________

 

A crushing weight breaks me out of my trance. I struggle to breathe but can’t seem to draw in any air. The lights are so bright…I can’t see anything. I flutter my eyelids, attempting to adjust to the brilliance as my body starts to tremble from lack of air. I’m exhausted, I can’t breathe…I don’t know what to do.

A voice is screaming at me to give in, to give up. But I can’t. I can’t give up. Not yet. I relinquish my hold on my vocal chords, ing away all of my doubts and fears.

You don’t even know where you are.

“Stop…” I rasp, silently begging for air. For a moment the atmosphere is thick with shock then everything breaks into a roaring of shouts and sobs. The figure hovering over me pauses before swooping down and crushing me into him. I feel his shoulders shaking as he sheds warm tears into my shirt.

“Welcome back…” a familiar voice coos close by. Suddenly everything clicks back into place. I struggle to get away from whoever is suffocating me as more and more people crowd around me.

Apparently Exo has no clue that they’re killing me.

My vision starts swimming as little spots dance before my eyes. It’s beautiful honestly. Whoever knew that without oxygen the world got so sparkly? My head starts lolling around as my mouth falls open attempting to draw in something. My lungs are burning.

“Idiot! He can’t breathe!”

There’s a wail as my body collapses heavily onto the couch. A crackling breath is drawn weakly into my chest, only to be forced out violently as I cough over and over.

“Move back, everyone just back up!” someone hollers as firm hands pat my back trying to help me breathe. For several moments I lay in agony. My head is spinning so bad that I can barely keep track of what’s going on. But soon it subsides and leaves behind only relief and shaky gasps.

“Kris, you…you…you’re so stupid!” Baekhyun shrieks, I open an eye to see him jump into the air and kick the taller man strongly on the back of his head. I shiver. I am so glad Baekhyun never got that mad at me.

Kris crashes to the ground looking stunned; Tao gives Baekhyun a look of respect before fist bumping him. Everyone else starts laughing.

“Baek, how’d you learn to make your little legs go so high?” Chanyeol gasps a huge smile still painting his face. Baekhyun whips around threateningly and advances on the giant.

“Want to see? I can show you.” he cackles. Chanyeol squawks in terror and runs away only to crash into Sehun and Kyungsoo who go flying. Baekhyun falls over laughing. Cautiously the three pick themselves up.

“Chanyeol! What did you do to Kyungoo?” Chen shouts. Until now he had remained invisible in the doorway, but as D.O. stands he has a perfect view of a very dark, swollen cheek.

“Ohmygosh! D.O.! I’m so sorry!” Chanyeol shouts. I spot Kris twisting his head around sharply; his gaze meets Kyungsoo’s for a moment before the latter smiles reassuringly and turns to the remorseful rapper.

“It’s okay, it’s not your fault.” he says smiling awkwardly. Jongin walks over to his favorite hyung and inspects his face.

“You sure you’re okay, hyung? I can punch Chanyeol if you want.” Said member howls in protest. Kyungsoo’s eyes widen and he shakes his head urgently. Kris starts to get up but D.O.’s voice stops him.

“No! It’s really not his fault…I ah…walked into a doorway!” he says cheerily, rubbing the back of his neck. Sehun frowns and walks over to him.

“You need to be more careful hyung.” he scolds. Kyungsoo nods and ruffles Sehun’s hair.

“I know…thanks.” Jongin huffs in annoyance obviously displeased. A loud clap makes me jump. Everyone turns to see Xiumin standing behind the couch surveying the uproar.

“This is all very heart warming, but don’t you think you should calm it down just a tad?” he orders raising an eyebrow and gesturing at me. I roll my eyes. I’ll always be frail to them now. The rest of the group shuffles awkwardly and Lay rubs my still heaving shoulders. It takes a while to recover after being suffocated. He gently nudges my head until I’m forced to lift it; he quickly slides a pillow into place.

“D.O., do you think that you could finish the food?” Lay asks hesitantly. Kyungsoo nods and trots into the kitchen, as soon as he disappears Lay gestures at Jongin.

“Go get that fool an ice-pack. He’ll probably just let it swell until he looks like Baozi.”

“Hey!” Xiumin yelps, puffing out his cheeks. Lay holds up his hands and tilts his head.

“I rest my case.” Chen snorts loudly but almost instantly throws his hands over his mouth as Minseok whips around to glare at him.

I shake my head. Exo is so weird.

___________________

 

The next several days pass in a blur of monotony. Sleep, wake up, eat, ignore their attempts at making conversation, lay around bored out of my mind, eat again, go back to sleep. The whole track is set on a rigorous repeat to the point where-if I wasn’t refusing to speak out of spite-I would scream. At least his voice hasn’t bugged me recently.

Well…not to the point where I can’t stand it.

I guess that’s one thing to thank the horribly dull life for. But I would prefer that the amount of people treating like an animal on exhibition not be the most interesting thing happening around here.

Today just Kai sits across from me watching as I stare dully back at him. This continues for several minutes until he looks away and rubs his neck awkwardly. I smirk inwardly.

Kim Joonmyun: 1, Kim Jongin: 0.

He looks around for a minute before dropping his head back and letting air blow through his lips huffily. Well that’s a new one. He just sits there, splayed out in all his glory, arms dangling off the chair, legs stretched out; neck tilted back until it looks like it’s going to snap off.

“Oooh…that would be a fun game!”

“Shut up…” I growl.

“You know you’d love to play.”

“I’m not like that.” Jongin looks at me curiously as I whisper to myself.

“Yes you are. You’re just like me.”

I shut my eyes tightly.

“You know what they’re all thinking about you…what they all think. What he’s thinking right now.”

I glance over at the young dancer, eyeing him suspiciously.

“Just think of it…how wonderful it would be to break him…to make him take back all those thoughts. To make his plump little lips scream in pain, to see his eyes dull with hopelessness, to-”

“I said shut up!” I cry. Kai jumps as I shoot to my feet, fists trembling. He holds up his hands and leans away.

“Woah! I didn’t say anything!” he protests. I turn on him, teeth bared.

“Then stop thinking.” I snarl. His eyebrows try to reach his hair as he gapes at me.

“Joonmyun hyung, you’re acting really weird.”

“I didn’t know that was a crime.” I retort flopping onto the couch and rolling away from him.

“Smooth.”

Go away.

“But you’re so much fun! And I’m not finished playing yet.”

Cold steel drips down my spine as his voice travels farther from my consciousness. I glare in frustration and punch the couch. The silence that hovers in the room lasts for only a few moments before Kyungsoo runs into the room frantically pulling at his hair.

“Jongin-ah! Joonmyun hyung! Have you two seen Kris?”

I groan and face plant into the couch. I mewl out a severely muffled ‘no’ as Kai starts listing off all the last times he’s seen him.

“…but I would check the troll’s rooms.” he says, finally finishing his tirade. D.O. runs off again, calling thanks over his shoulder. As his pattering fades Jongin leans over and pokes me in the arm.

I ignore him.

But, as stubborn as ever he continues to prod until I swat his hand away and turn to him.

“What?” I almost shout. He grins at me and cheekily tilts his head.

“Hi.” I can’t help but gape at him.

…seriously? Hi?

I roll my eyes and turn away again, grumbling under Jongin’s rather loud snickers.

“Idiot.”

 

 

_________

 

Yay for filler chapters! 

 

I'm sorry guys, but I really just needed a filler chapter before things get more exciting. Hopefully this will be the only one, but... *shurgs*

Anyways, how did you like it? I hope it was okay. ^_^

Also, here's your answer to the Kyungsoo/Kris problem. Don't worry, Kris is really trying to be extra nice to him now. Yay! Well...as nice as a y dragon with guilt problems can be...

Okay! Enough rambling! I'm off to start chapter twelve and get ready for work.

Cheers y'all! See you in the next chapter! ^_^