Chapter Sixteen: Chanyeol

Killing an Angel

                Everyone is always telling me not to be so curious. But I can’t help it, for some reason everything intrigues me, and if something intrigues me I just have to figure it out. Like a detective. Detective Park Chanyeol, and his trusty sidekick intuition!

I grin creepily to myself. Beside me Sehun inches slightly away, a semi disturbed look on his face. As he bumps into Lay the dancer glances at me and raises an eyebrow before placing a hand on the boy’s shoulder and whispering something into his ear.

                I ignore them and turn back to the problem at hand.

“Sehun you grab that side,” Kris barks. “And Yixing take the other.” He shoves a screwdriver under the hinges and starts to pry them open. I glance over at Suho. He’s staring blankly at the door as if he’s in a trance. He keeps rubbing his wrist as if it’s aching. I frown. It’s Suho who has been occupying my thoughts for the past hour or so.

This morning, he seemed to open up and was somewhat fragile. It’s like there’s a glass sphere surrounding him and it had started to crack. Now I’m not so sure. He’s just standing there and staring off into space, leaning his head against the wall as if he’s completely exhausted. His eyes are half closed and every now and then he twitches as if someone is muttering something into his ears.

“Chanyeol! Stop standing there and come help us!” Kris’ shout pulls my attention from my leader. Quickly I run over and grab a corner of the door as it tries to flip up and clip Yixing in the head. Easily we set the door to the side and stand back.

A bedraggled Chen appears in the doorway, blinking as if he hasn’t seen light in days. Minseok follows closely behind him with a sleepy look on his face that is just barely covering the anger in his eyes. Kris stands back and crosses his arms.

“Okay, so?” he asks with a glare. Minseok growls and smacks Jongdae in the head.

“Ouch!”

“You tell him.” Xiumin orders. “It’s your fault.”

“No it isn’t!” Chen protests. Minseok just rolls his eyes.

“Just tell them.” Jongdae looks exasperated and exhausted but he shrugs his shoulders and mutters ‘whatever’ before launching into his tale of woe.

“Well, before I start it should be noted that Minseok was the one who actually broke the handle off.”

Kris raises and eyebrow.

“You all know about Baozi’s treat bag, right? Well, last night I was thinking about how rude it was that he hasn’t even offered me a single candy. Here I am, the only person in the group who hasn’t had any and he won’t let me just eat a tiny piece.”

“That’s because you steal from it all the time!”

“Excuse me Sehun, I am talking here.” Chen says making a swooshing motion with his hands.”

“Anyways…so I finally decided that I would negotiate my point.” Minseok sputters angrily.

“You call trying to lock me in a closet, negotiation?” he shouts. Chen shakes his head.

“I was going to let you out once you agreed!” Kris face palms and I slap a hand over my mouth to keep from giggling. Yixing raises a hand.

“So, how did you both end up in there then?” he asks with a puzzled expression. Xiumin puffs out his chest proudly and Jongdae drop his head.

“Minseok pushed me…” Jongdae mutters.

“I actually kicked you.” Xiumin smirks. “See?” He spins Chen around and pulls his pants down to reveal a foot shaped bruise on his . Chen shrieks in humiliation and flails like a fish.

“Hyung! Stop it!” he breaks out of Minseok’s hold and yanks his pants back into place amidst unashamed laughter. Kris wipes his eyes with a dignified air.

“Hyung, you have one strong foot.” Xiumin blushes at the praise. Over the next few minutes the two retell the tale of how Chen ambushed Minseok and tried to throw him in the linen closet only to be overpowered and forced to drag Xiumin in after him to keep him from locking the door. They then fought for a good few minutes before Minseok managed to get ahold of the doorknob only to be tripped by Chen and smash bodily into it.

As they reached that part Xiumin pulled up his shirt to show us the black circle on his ribs. With a bewildered headshake Kris and Sehun trundled off to do other things while Lay pulled Xiumin downstairs to check on his bruise. As Chen started to follow I pulled him to the side.

“This had better be important. You’re making me miss my nursing.” he protests with a pout. I glare and tighten my grip on his bicep. He winces slightly and shuffles his arm.

“What time did you get locked into the closet?” I growl. He finally succeeds in wrenching his arm from my grasp and rubs his limb.

“I don’t know, eleven…eleven thirty?” I eye him suspiciously. That’s not possible. I didn’t go to sleep until twelve and Suho said he saw the face way after that. I glare at him. He gives me a suspicious look.

“If you don’t believe me ask Xiumin.”

“Fine then, I will.” I stalk away leaving a grumbling Chen in my wake. I exchange a glance with Suho as I walk by. For a split second I see fear in his eyes, but it’s gone so fast that I’m not sure that I actually saw it. I pat his shoulder gently feeling tense muscles beneath.

“Go get dressed, hyung.” I murmur. “I’ll see you at breakfast, okay?” He flicks a look towards me and nods, leaning away from the wall as if he’s hundreds of years old. As he walks away I hear him muttering to himself as if he’s having an argument. I frown again. I hope that he’s okay while I’m gone.

______________________

To my surprise Xiumin supports Chen’s story. And after interrogating every member I suspect I can’t seem to find anything. Jongin, Tao, and Sehun all went to bed early. Kyungsoo was reading and Lay was watching a drama. Luhan and Kris wouldn’t do something like that and I know it wasn’t me. Plus, everyone said they went to sleep no later than midnight.

I frown. It was looking like Suho was seeing things, or lying to me. The thought that my leader might be faking is like a punch in the gut. I shake my head vigorously.

“No…he wouldn’t lie. He trusts me.” I rub my stomach and walk outside, hoping that the cold air will clear my head. The sky is crystal clear and I tilt my head back to bask in the sunlight. It really is peaceful here.

With a small huff I shove my hands in my pockets and trudge off to take a short walk around the house. The only person I haven’t checked with is Baekhyun. I didn’t even bother asking Kris and Luhan, but I seriously don’t think they would ever do something like that. I frown. In the back of my mind a little voice keeps telling me that Suho’s lying. It is that voice that keeps me from just up and telling everyone else.

But what if he is?

I wail and the sound of scuffling draws my attention. I break into a run and take the corner at record speed.

“Oof!” A fuzzy head of hair bounces off my chest and lands in the snow. Baekhyun lays there in a daze; I sweep my eyes from his form to follow the path he took. I swell of hope fills my body that is quickly followed by disappointment and anger.

His tracks lead right under Suho’s window.

“Yah!” Baekhyun shouts flailing. “Giant! Watch where you’re going!” I glare and cross my arms, watching in faint amusement as he does the same, tilting his head as he pouts.

“At least give me a hand up you big jerk!” I sigh and grab him by the scruff of his neck and drop him on the ground. He stumbles a bit and I smile for a second in satisfaction. Serves him right…scaring Suho like that. He starts muttering and fixing up his outfit prissily, I just glare at him.

I’m hoping that my glares will make him confess.

“What is it?” he finally asks in exasperation. I glare harder and growl.

“Were you outside Suho’s window last night?” Baekhyun’s face twists comically.

“What are you talking about?” Anger washes over me at his denial. I jerk him forward by the collar and snarl into his face, angrily relaying the tale. Baek’s eyes go wide, and then he looks hurt. He smacks my hands away and steps back, fixing his shirt.

“It wasn’t me.”

“Then if it wasn’t you, who was it?” I howl in frustration.

“Did you ever think of Chen?” He throws his hands in the air.

“Xiumin was with Chen all last night. It wasn’t him.” I reply, thoughts of this morning nagging at my mind. Baekhyun continues to protest and eventually shrieks in frustration.

“Well I didn’t do it!”

“Then who was it Baek?” I retort. He rolls his eyes.

“Did you ever think that maybe Suho made it up?” The sound of him voicing my own fears causes rage to boil; I take a step forward dangerously.

“You think he’s lying?”

“Possibly. Or maybe he just thinks that he saw something that wasn’t actually there. Think about it, Channie.” he says logically. I lower my voice, ready to accept defeat. But something catches my eye just before I do.

“Nope. No one.” he quips. I grab the top of his head and twirl him around.

“Then why are your foot prints there?” I snarl. He stands there analyzing them for a minute before turning back. I frown smugly.

I’ve got him now.

“They’re too big to be mine…” he snaps. My eyes go wide, I glance at his feet and then at the foot prints. He’s right. A wall of despair falls over me.

“The only one with feet that big is pretty much you and Kris, Chanyeol.” But there’s no one else out here except for us. I tap a finger against my lip thoughtfully.

“But it wasn’t me…and Kris hyung wouldn’t do a thing like that, so…” I look down at him.

“Whose footprints are they?” He shrugs and shakes his head.

“Who knows?” He slaps my shoulder. “Don’t worry about it, buddy.”

I frown and glance back at the window as Baekhyun walks off muttering about breakfast. As I turn to walk back into the house a shill runs down my back, as if someone is watching me. I look around but there’s no one anywhere. I shake my head and try to ignore it.

“It’s nothing Chanyeol…you’re just being paranoid…”

But even as I sit down to breakfast and watch Baekhyun happily devouring a heaping stack of waffles I can’t help but glance at Suho’s slightly pale face and feel that something is seriously wrong. 

 

_____________

Yay! Chapter sixteen from Chanyeol's POV. What do you guys think? I know that it's short and the last few chapters have basically been covering the exact same thing, but bare with me for just a bit longer. New things will happen in the next couple chapters. I promise!

*grins*

Sorry it took so long to get this one out. But I have to go now, I'm late for work.

Cheers y'all! I hope that you enjoy the update! Tell me what you think!
See you all in the next chapter!! <3