Double rooks

Gambit

 

Hiya again!! 

Here goes...

There will be use of Japanese manga or anime terms (those that I can still remember from my manga/anime days). Do correct me if there are any incorrect usage. Its been a while since I last watched or read anything Jap... >///////<

Ps: There will be no POV for this chap. Purely narrative... so please do ask if the need arises. 

Please do stay and read!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Yuchun sama.” “Or is it tenno heika?” A deep nasally voice addressed a person seated coolly on his black horse, with a bejewelled katana sheath in hand. The said man’s dark aura is intimidating, but the addresser remains undaunted, holding the eye contact while clenching his jaws. The other man is desperate. He is too desperate to care about whatever might happen as a result of his unnecessary sarcasm. “My Japanese isn’t that great.”

“Yunho dono.” “Or is it Pye ha?” The smirking person on black horse replies. He does not appear pissed or provoked and the person on the white horse can’t help but heave a sigh of relief in his heart, cautious not to let his fear show on his handsome face.

“I see your Hangul isn’t that good either.” “That’s good to know.” The stubborn man on white horse can’t help but diss the other with every opportunity he has. They both know they can not only speak, but read and write each other’s language fluently.

“I am still learning.” The man, Yuchun answered once more, voice thick with menace, running his hand along his katana for the umpteenth time. Yunho’s nervous gaze never left his muscular wrist and fingers as the veins there bulge ever so suddenly while he the cool metal on the sheath adoringly.

Gulping down a huge lump at his throat once, the man on white horse, Yunho, forced himself to tear his eyes off the weapon and reach for his own as well, which is hanging carelessly from his waist band. “Me too.” “It’s… heart-warming… to see how good our… friendship is… isn’t it?” Yunho managed as confidently as he can and the other on black horse, Yuchun, raised an eyebrow at him.

“Yunho dono. I believe we have a long way to go from before we can be considered… friends...” The pompous man interjected and Yunho could not but allow a soft swear to escape his lips, humouring his already overly conceited opponent.

“Fine. Let’s just say that I don’t always speak my mind. Forgive me for seeing our relationship in such a positive light.” Yunho narrowed his eyes at Yuchun. “I shall be more forthcoming next time.” He hates it when the man deliberately put him in a spot despite knowing he was pretending to be polite.

“I’m glad you are willing to learn from your mistake.” Yuchun replied casually and Yunho could feel his temper stirring dangerously. “So, you will hand over the three fisheries down north and the piece of land at our border?” To top it off, Yuchun even asked a rhetorical question and Yunho is absolutely flabbergasted by his disgusting attitude.

The two countries have been fighting it out for the longest time, even before these two young emperors each ascended the throne respectively. They would fight over the most insignificant things, from land, to property, and once, a tree, which Yuchun claims to be ‘sacred’. However, due to the geographical layout of both countries, causing them to rely heavily on resources from the sea, the one main reason for war, throughout all these years, would be fishing spots. Each fishery comprises of a few acres of beaches as well as the sea surrounding it, a very precious source of food and income for the country that owns it.

It happens that King Yunho’s ancestor has had ownership of that land, and it’s solely because it was handed down from generation to generation without the other having to work for it that is causing Yuchun to feel disgruntled, the reason the feud had begun at the first place. Yuchun is just trying to strengthen his stronghold on all the available resources and attempt to further weaken Yunho’s country. Yunho knows that and is adamant on keeping whatever is his, no matter how much threat Yuchun poses for him.

The shogun has tried everything, from coercion to exploitations, to being plain unreasonable and bullting about the history of how the land is formed in a certain way that it belongs to Japan. Yunho isn’t planning on taking any more of his crap but Yuchun scares him too much. In fact, Yuchun terrorises him so much that he would have nightmares of that devil in human form every now and then.

Nevertheless, waging war at this point in time isn’t an option for Yunho since his army is just recovering from Yuchun’s previous merciless attacks. The shogun almost won had luck not been on the Korean emperor’s side. Both sides are not doing well military wise and both know they can’t start anything at the moment, but still wish to push the limit.

Yunho can foresee a storm brewing and uneasy isn’t exactly the best word to use in this scenario. The emperor is in truth, almost peeing his pants, especially after Yuchun had sent him the head of his trusty patrolling squad’s general as a gift a few days ago. Be it for fun, joy or laughter, Yunho is far from amused after almost throwing up as he witness his bodyguards pull the head out from the teak box. He was having dinner when the ‘parcel’ arrived and is only thankful that Junsu wasn’t with him then.

“You know my answer and you know I don’t intend to hand anything over to you so why initiate this meeting?” Yunho took a deep breath before forcing a smile, trying to appear bolder. “I will tell you now that I am only here today to warn you about crossing the line with me again.” “Killing my patrols meant that you’ve crossed the border we’ve agreed on and I am not going to take that kindly.”

“What? What will you do then?” Yuchun even took his time to pick at his nails, nodding his head nonchalantly. “What exactly, Yunho dono?” “Last I remembered, you are at the losing end… and I do not intend to wait for you to pick yourself up.” “It’s war again.” “Give me what I want and maybe we can discuss about postponing this inevitable battle to a later date.”

“Oh shut it! We both know you are running low on resources yourself. Stop pushing it!” “I’m sick and tired of your arrogance!” Yunho huffed. He can feel his blood pressure rising, with the building anger, churning violently, at the verge of consuming him. Not only that, the adrenaline rush he gets whenever he is faced with Yuchun is almost making him feel a little high. You have no idea how much he isn’t looking forward to facing the shogun.

“Bring it on, Yuchun!” “I won’t run anymore! Bring it on!!” The exhausted emperor clenched his teeth and reached for his sword, gripping it so hard that his knuckles turn white. Breathing in and out as his tries to ignore the irritating drop of cold sweat dangling at the edge of his eye brow, the emperor inched forward on his horse, gingerly.

With a swift motion, Yuchun’s katana is out, flashing under the sunlight as it reflects the yellowish rays, blinding everyone in the vicinity. The owner of that merciless sabre then charged forward, swinging it in gliding manner, slicing through the thick musty air as the deadly blade hiss against the strong winds. Only the two kings were moving as the rest of the followers and royal guards remain unmoving, waiting for orders. The atmosphere is tensed as Yunho braces himself for the impact.

However, just as the emperor is about to defend himself, a light knick on his chest plate threw him into a disarray, causing him to dodge instinctively, instead of retaliating. Yuchun had gotten his chest piece in his hand in an instant, hacking off a piece of his armour before he even had enough time to blink. Yunho have always knew the depressing disparity between their sword fighting skills, even though he himself is the fastest and most agile fighter in all of Korea.

in a mouthful of air, the emperor looked at the shogun as intensely as he can, boring holes into the other’s face. “I spared you, Yunho dono.” The shogun’s deep but creepily icy voice shook the emperor up a fair bit, and the man can barely breathe.

“TSK!” The stubborn man responded quickly with a spat and retreated a few metres, staying close to his royal escorts. The group might not stand a chance against the tiny pack of Japanese warriors, even though there are less than a dozen of them against more than fifty of Yunho’s own. Yunho is already getting upset because of the blatant display of Yuchun’s disregard for him.

“You better kill me now, Yuchun. I am not going to let you push me around anymore.” “NO MORE.” The emperor found his hands shaking a little as he curses loudly at the shogun. “I know you are still recovering from the previous battle as well, so trust me, it will be really ugly for you as well.”

“Be careful what you wish for.” The shogun replied smugly and just as Yunho dodges, the man’s blade had made a gaping hole in Yunho’s headgear. However, the emperor isn’t going to be the victim any longer. Yuchun also has a small tear on his armour now, made by Yunho as the man was ‘dodging’ earlier. The previously cowering emperor is regaining his confidence.

Retreating to his side of the plain, where two opposing groups are separated by an invisible line, the shogun watched as Yunho retreats as well. Both are not ready to die yet. They are both young, and just became King. They are not ready to shed their responsibilities yet. No one is willing to risk it. Yunho had taken a gamble and luck seems to be on his side today too.

Making his black stallion canter around in circles, the shogun contemplated his next move. He had set out to meet Yunho for the sole purpose of pressuring the other into caving, but it seems like Yunho is driven too far up the wall and is finally fighting back with pure grit. Only god knows what a provoked Yunho is capable of. Yuchun needs to come up with something soon too, since everyone is watching him, and how he would finally get his hands on Yunho’s property.

It’s not just about the honour anymore. Yuchun has a few hundred thousand mouths waiting to be fed, and they are near starving because of the lack in fishing grounds and declining supply of sea products in their own fishing zones. Sashimi is too important for them as compared to their friendly Korean neighbours who seem to prefer pork and beef.

The feud has been going on for decades, and the two newest kings are running out of the time and patience to face off with one another. They need a quick fix and nothing is being resolved through fighting, which is frustrating. They found out the hard way.

Yuchun needed those fishing grounds and the extra land while Yunho had the excess but is hesitant to share, since he really has no obligations to. Yuchun may appear to be the oppressor, but he is in fact, the one at his wit’s end. Annoyed and out of options, he is constantly damaging Yunho’s property in a bid to force compliance. Matters are getting out of hand and everyone knows that.

“How about we share?” The shogun finally says something human, despite the demon that he is. “I admit it. Winter is coming and I am desperate.” “I will have to fight you if you turn down this final peaceful solution.” Yunho almost died of happiness upon seeing Yuchun humble down. That was the last thing he was expecting Yuchun to do.

With lips quivering, Yunho thought through the damages that the shogun had already done. Reminding himself that the devil in human form is nothing short of collateral damage, the emperor is really tempted to take the peaceful way out. He still wishes to head home for dinner in one piece.

“I’m not offering you a choice, Yunho dono. I am serious about this and I only make requests once.” his katana, the shogun’s face in unreadable. Having a bad feeling, especially after watching the shogun’s group of escorts move into position, Yunho caved. The opponents are strong, and almost inhuman. Yunho has no idea how they grow to become so formidable, but he knows he does not stand a chance even when he has double the amount of men on his side.

“Are you offering a peace treaty?” The emperor has his doubts, but clarify it is all he needs to do. Yuchun nods once, facial expression still unreadable.

“And what if I don’t want to shar-” Yunho wasn’t even done with his sentence when a gust of ‘wind’ throws him off his own horse, causing him to land on his back painfully, sword skittering out of reach. Cross eyed as he stares at the katana tip, ghosting so closely to his carotid as he blocks it with his own pocket knife, the king almost yelled out in shock, alarmed by the shogun’s speed and agility. Yuchun actually spared him, and that in itself is beyond shocking.

Drawing a ‘X’, inches from his throat, Yunho can hear the blades ring as the thin piece of deadly metal slices through the air he was about to inhale. Yuchun finally raises an eyebrow at him again, smiling cynically as he withdraws the weapon slightly. He remains standing above the other while Yunho’s royal guards rush to his aid, just to be blocked by the shogun’s escorts. Yunho knows Yuchun’s answer to his unsuccessfully asked question.

“Since I am a patient man…” Yuchun replied simply. “I will give you till the count of ten to decide if you want to share.” “One. Two. Three. Four. Five…” The shogun started in Japanese.

 “ALRIGHT ALRIGHT!!” “PEACE!!” “DAMN YOU, YOU AKUMA!!” The emperor raised his voice as his eyes remains trained on the shogun’s dangling katana.

“Good.” The shogun grinned radiantly; face switching from dark to gleeful in an instant, sending a shiver down Yunho’s spine. “Now. We will talk terms.” The shogun started arbitrarily and the shamed emperor can’t help but want to dig a hole in the ground and bury himself. Yunho can’t believe he is letting Yuchun have his way on this one, but he is left with limited options.

“Send me a royalty.” “I want to be sure that you will stay true to your words.” The shogun started, sheathing his katana carelessly. “A princess perhaps?” Yuchun stated in a matter-of-factly way, but quickly changed his mind. The shogun knows the emperor’s family tree well enough to know that there are no princesses available, since there were only two princes to begin with. “Pardon me. You seem to be lacking a sister... so I believe your brother will do just fine as a replacement.”

“WHAT?!! NO!!!” “NOT A CHANCE!!!” The emperor is all riled up now and hollering at the shogun. However, before he can get up from his still supine position on the grass, the recently retired katana’s blade has taken his head band off and Yuchun is already playing with the black netting in his hands, twirling it around. Yunho’s breath hitched as his loosened hair strays across his face.

“Not my brother.” “You can’t!!” The man rasped angrily but had to shut his mouth after spotting the murderous glint in Yuchun’s eyes.

Trembling, be it out of fear or anger, Yunho simply cannot overpower Yuchun in such an unfavourable position. “FINE!! BUT!!” Yuchun’s eyes widens a little at Yunho’s sudden exclamation.

“I want your brother in exchange for mine.” “It’s only fair this way.” Both kings have never once met one another’s siblings before, but never expected to meet up under such circumstances either.

Yuchun is a little taken aback at first, but quickly regained his composure and nodded his head once. He is not the wishy-washy type. Though he knows Yunho is really in no position to bargain with him, he is aware that he too, is in no position to reject Yunho. The Korean emperor still has many strong alliances and is the owner of many of the resources that the shogun will need. “Deal.”

To think marriage is the only way out. Marrying each other’s brothers off is the most desperate and unheard of yet, in any era.

TBC

Please do comment and subscribe! *bows bows*