Backward pawn

Gambit

 

Back in the Korean palace.

Peeking from behind a pillar as a small head bobbles on a slender neck and shoulder, a petite figure darted from pillars to pillars. Watching the bunch of dripping wet grown man trudging in through the main doors after entering the garden of the huge palace front, he did not miss the disturbing look of anguish on their faces.

No one enters the sacred thousand over square feet part of the building where the peeking figure is hidden, except a man, soaked to the skin and looking bushed. With deep creases running above his brow-line on his forehead as he heads off into the direction of the royal chamber, the man left a trail of rain water as he walked, dragging his weapon behind him dejectedly.

The grown man did not remain dry even though he had more than a dozen servants struggling to provide him with shelter. They did not succeed since he was practically running to let off some team off earlier. It was raining throughout the entire journey back, making the man feel worse.

Hugging the pillar tightly, the smaller ‘peeping tom’ stood rooted on the spot. With a lost look on his face, the person slowly slid down the smooth painted rounded cement surface of the structure, squatting as he tries to sort out the sudden rush of panic and fear. Yunho never stopped by his empty room either as the king leaves straight for the bath. That is also a tell-tale sign, especially since he hadn’t seen Yunho looking so upset before, aside from the days of his parents’ passing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

POV from Junsu

Hyung is back… I can see him entering through the gates.      

But I can tell that hyung isn’t looking very happy… and the other hyung who doesn’t understand what I am saying back too…

I know what this means even without anyone telling me anything. I am not dumb…

What do I do now?

For the first time in my life, I am afraid… after hyung told me something about going somewhere. I don’t speak Japanese! I can’t understand what they are saying either! But that’s not the point. I don’t want to go! I don’t want to marry!! I don’t want to leave Lee sshi!! I don’t want to leave Park sshi and Choi sshi! Lee sshi just got a wife too!! They still haven’t gotten along well together and Lee sshi will get bitten by her all the time!!

Hyung won’t take care of them if I am not around!! Not to mention Choi sshi is still crawling so slowly!! What if hyung really wants to try sloth meat this time?

Stupid excuses…

I am scared!! What if hyung really wants me to go? I can’t say no… can I? Hyung and everyone else might get into trouble if I don’t go right? What will happen?

What does hyung mean when he said I will be married to that weird hyung’s hyung? What do we even do if we get married? Does he like animals too? Will I get to keep pets? Will I get to go hunting too? Most importantly, does it mean I will be far away from home?

Appa and umma are here… I can’t leave! They will be bored if I don’t accompany them! Hyung doesn’t even talk to them anymore… He never even visits! What if their graves become ugly and out of shape? Hyung wouldn’t care!

Excuses again…

But I really don’t want to go!!

What do I do?!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Still raining cats and dogs, Junsu found himself cooped up in the abandoned wing of the palace, where his parents are buried. Crouching on the old pavilion, with a clear view of the two massive piles of neatly arranged blocks of stone, forming a crypt like structure, the young one found himself throwing small pebbles at the one on the left, his mother’s grave.

Unaware of the big pair of beautiful eyes watching him from a few metres away, Junsu continued to pout as he mumbles more gibberish, willing his mother’s spirit back or something close to that. Junsu always does not when he has no one to talk to.

“Creak.” The loud sound of a sinking floorboard caught the younger one’s attention as he spins around to see the same pair of crow black eyes, staring right into his own lovely brown tadpole shaped ones.

Forcing a smile as the other simply stands at the distance, trying to indicate that he wouldn’t bite, Junsu couldn’t get Jejung to come near him. Saddened by Jejung’s lack of response and feeling lonely, Junsu stopped throwing the pebbles and curled up into a ball where he sat, with Jejung still watching him from a distance.

“What’s your hyung like?” Junsu asked Jejung in Korean, despite ‘knowing’ the ‘fact’ that Jejung does not speak his language. The Japanese prince understands the question but kept with the act, blinking a few times at Junsu before inching forward gracefully.

“I bet he is boring like my hyung…” Junsu chuckled bitterly as he continues to wallow in self-pity. Jejung is already starting to pity him. Knowing that whatever Yunho did to him at their wedding ceremony will not be half as bad as what Yuchun would do to Junsu, Jejung wanted to tell the younger one his fate, but he knows better than to do so.

Smiling awkwardly at Junsu, Jejung cocked his head sideways and made himself comfortable beside the younger one. Junsu looked up once and gleamed, happy to have a companion even though Jejung is nothing more than a presence. The language barrier is not as depressing as not knowing what is to come. “Don’t blame hyungie for what happened that day… okay? He isn’t usually like that.” Junsu added, not caring if Jejung understands.

Jejung almost nodded but forced himself to look away. “Why did you come?” “Did your hyung force you to?” Junsu is a relatively talkative person and Jejung does not dislike that. Simply staring at the back of Junsu’s head, Jejung knows Junsu is simply speaking aimlessly. The communication will remain one-sided for as long as Yunho is alive.

“Is your hyung a meanie?” “My hyung isn’t...” “He just needs some time to get used to having you around.” Junsu continued. “He always refuses to play with me but he is actually really fun loving.” Promoting Yunho like nobody’s business, the Korean prince spoke of Yunho fondly and Jejung is baffled. “He acts like he does not like the pets but he will not hurt them… well… except for that time when he cooked Yoo sshi and fed him to the guests…”

“Can you tell your hyung not to hurt my hyung if I don’t go?” Junsu asked again in Korean after a long pause, still not looking at Jejung, face buried in between his knees and chest. He has every intention not to marry Yuchun but has no idea what the outcomes would be for his selfish act.

“I don’t want to go…” Sniffling a little, the younger one finally lifted his head but only to look into the distance. The strong wind howling, following another episode of torrential rain caused them both to shiver, but they stayed put nonetheless, enjoying each other’s company. Junsu felt Jejung would understand, and Jejung felt the aching need to be there, even if the comfort he can provide is minimal.

Secretly thinking about how he ended up with the longer end of the stick, Jejung is well aware of the difference between his own brother and Yunho by now. To him, Yunho’s personality is much more mellowed in comparison to Yuchun’s. Despite the hostile way he is being treated, Jejung can see that Yunho is a kind man down to his very being. A seemingly quiet person with a fierce passion when it comes to his kin or anyone he loved for the matter. Yunho just didn’t appear to be the type to go all out to hurt him for no apparent reasons. He can’t say the same for Yuchun.

A conflicting feeling of needing to advise Junsu to run away while he still can, yet not hoping that Junsu would, Jejung can’t differentiate what is right or wrong in this current context. He kind of knows what Yuchun’s rationale is, when requesting for Junsu, but he simply can’t condone Yuchun’s actions.

Also, having a slight inkling about what Yuchun meant by ‘pleasing Yunho’, Jejung is concerned that Junsu is not going to like his stay in Japan. At the same time, he is pleased that Yunho had simply chucked him aside, not even bothering to look at him in the eye. He never even got to say a proper sentence to that mean either.

Finally, after a long time and sighing adorably, the younger one of the two got up and even lent Jejung a hand as the other gets up, gesturing to the Japanese prince that it is time to part. Smiling weakly, Junsu quickly disappeared, leaving Jejung to stand alone in front of the vast courtyard.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

POV from Yunho

I don’t get it… Why is it that I am obviously the stronger party in this stupid game and I am always the one at the losing end?

He obviously needs something from me and I OBVIOUSLY have a choice, whether I want to be generous… right?

Then why is it that he can crawl all over me like an irritating pest, piss and poop all over me then wipe his with my hair? And I actually allowed it?

I have been reflecting on that a lot, and have finally come to a conclusion. I am just not strong enough to defend what is mine.

Be it my ancestor’s land, my people, or my baby brother. I have failed in all aspects.

I can’t ask for help from the neighbours since we all know what a favour will require. I can’t fight it out with him since we all know who will win this time around.

Junsu… what will happen to him?

It’s more or less settled that he will move over once he is done celebrating his birthday. I don’t know how to break this news to him… but I believe he already knows. What more can I say? I can’t do anything for him at this point in time.

I can’t!! I can’t!! All this is driving me insane!! I can’t accept this!!!

Looking at the way he treats his own brother, I get the chills too. He not only treats his enemies this way. His family is nothing but objects at his disposal! I don’t want him to meet my Junsu!! I can’t imagine what he will do to my Suie.

My brother is more child-like than half the population of people his age and I am not glad to admit that!! He is still a big baby… unable to take care of himself, unable to stand up for himself, unable to function like a proper adult…

I am not saying that he is an imbecile nor does he suffer from any sort of global developmental delay! He is just a little different when it comes to maturity level. That devil will be too much for him to handle!! That man is by far, the most heartless and unfeeling person I have ever met!

I might not know his real intentions, but I know why he wants those things of me. I know why he wants Junsu. I just can’t understand why his own brother means so little to him!

Honestly, if I were him, I would settle for three quarter!! I actually expected him to just let it go and I seriously believed I will get away with giving him three quarter… but only god would know why I failed. I don’t get it!! Our brains are just not wired in the same way I guess…

Is he really looking forward to being one family with me? I know I don’t! Who would!! How dare he just shove everything into my face and expect that I accept it?! Oh god…

The biggest problem now will be Junsu…

My poor heart! I don’t want to see him cry!! I hate it when he starts bawling his eyes out like a baby!! He will definitely cry this time and I am not ready to stand by and watch! I am just inept at comforting him… and I hate it when he is hurting!

No one hurts my Junsu and gets away with it!! But I am the one who is causing him hurt this time… so…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In the dead of the night…

“Junsu?” “Oh dear… next week?” “Does he really have to go?” soft whispers can be heard from along the corridors as a few palace maids discuss Junsu’s fate by the window. Oblivious to the presence of the person in question while he sits, hidden in the shadows, resting on the roof above them, just a couple of metres apart. Junsu likes to go to the roof whenever insomnia plagues him.

Inching in over the edge slightly, the young prince wanted to startle the ladies and enjoy a good laugh at first, but their words took him by surprise instead. “Can you imagine what will happen to Junsu when he marries that man?” “I am not surprised to see his majesty so upset…”

Frowning a little, Junsu continued to eavesdrop. “I will tell you a secret I heard from the eunuchs the other day.” “You know the patrol official that died on duty? The one whose wife was crying so loudly back then?” “I heard that the Japanese demon beheaded him and sent his head back to his majesty in a box…”

Gasping loudly at the same time, Junsu and the other surprised maid widened their eyes and continued listening. “I also heard that he likes to make his enemies commit suicide and watch, like how his father did.” “You know the way those crazy people will cut out their intestines before letting someone chop of his head?”

Biting his lips nervously, the prince tried not to picture the scenario, but the gore that came to his mind scared him less. Imaging what Yuchun looked like only made things worst. “It no wonders that his majesty is not willing to let Junsu go over…” “I can’t imagine what he will make Junsu do if he gets angry…” Grimacing as they speak, no one is wincing more dramatically than Junsu himself.

With heart palpitating as if he just drunk a gallon of caffeinated drinks, the young one quickly slipped off the roof via another window, unwilling to listen to the duo’s conversation any longer. Tiptoeing pass Yunho’s room as the torches remain lit, Junsu wanted badly to knock on the door, but suppressed the urge. Pausing for a long while as he watches the still shadow of a tall person seated within, sadly, the young prince slowly backed away into his own room.

Mind clouded with negative thoughts and overwhelming fear of the unknown, the young prince dove into his clothes chest and pulled out a few articles of clothes. Stuffing a few pieces of gold and silver he has in his own stash, the young one pranced around the room anxiously, trying not to think about the consequences if he were to run away.

Then, creeping out of his room once more, Junsu dashed off to the nearest garden and started scaling the stone walls like how he would usually do. Squawking as he loses his footages a few times, landing on his fleshy painfully, the desperate young male cursed at his own clumsiness and cowardice. Finally throwing himself over the edge and ending up in the thickets on the other side of the wall, Junsu darted off into the woods, encased in the darkness of night.

Already scared out of his wits by the maids’ description of Yuchun, added with the sudden impulse to run away, accumulated over the period of a few days, Junsu gave in to his flight instinct and made a break for it. Running a fast as his legs would carry him, he does not even know why he is sprinting, since he is pretty damn sure that Yunho will not be out hunting for him.

Trying to ignore the nagging feeling of conscience and Yunho’s disappointed face, constantly appearing in his head, Junsu simply kept on travelling aimlessly.

TBC

Please do comment and subscribe! *bows*