Blunder

Gambit

 

“Your highness!” “We have visitors!” It is late into the evening, just after Yuchun’s bath when a flustered guard from the gates comes before him, reporting the sighting of an odd looking bunch headed into the capital. “They are from that place!!” The person hesitated for a few seconds before revealing their identity, expecting Yuchun to know where the ‘there’ meant.

Immediately pulling on the final pieces of his robes, the shogun quickly exited his room. As the red sea of armour cladded figures parts and makes way for him, the stone faced man proceeded to the main gate, despite the messengers’ offer to usher the ‘guest’ in. Yuchun has no intentions of inviting anyone in for tea.

Opening the doors to find a long queue of carriages and a small army standing right outside his palace gate, Yuchun can feel his temper threatening to flare. Watching Yunho exit the last carriage, the shogun’s face turned from a poker to obviously annoyed. Yuchun glowered deeply and everyone cringed.

“I have come to return you your brother as I have every wish to keep mine with me.” Yunho started bravely, being the only person who has enough guts to speak up. Jejung chose to remain hidden in the carriage. He does not want to further agitate Yuchun and he is right not to. He can sense that Yuchun is not exactly feeling nice and empathetic today, especially after seeing Yunho alive.

After failing to kill the king, the Japanese prince is more than prepared to be rendered homeless. There is no such thing as returning home after being married off, yet he doubt Yunho will take him in either. Yuchun would also be really offended as everyone will now think that their father had not brought Jejung up well, since Yunho is rejecting Jejung so openly. The previous shogun used to be so proud of his handiwork, and so he calls them, which are his own flesh and blood.

“I will not take him back.” “There is nothing wrong with him.” Yuchun replied with a dangerous tone.

“I don’t care! Agreement’s off!” Yunho widened his eyes and took a step forward, in an attempt to stare Yuchun down. As much as he is having butterflies in his stomach, the Korean emperor needs to make his point. “But since I am kind, I have decided to give you a quarter of that land you asked for… as well as a quarter of the fisheries.” Yunho continued gingerly. Unwilling to give up his father’s land for absolutely nothing monetary in exchange, since it is not just a few football fields we are talking about here.

Yuchun literally asked for a piece of his land and sea, the size of around two islands, but even though that is really nothing compared to the property Yunho owns, the Korean emperor is concerned that the rest of the countries in the alliance will assume he is a pushover and make the same requests as well. Just thinking about that makes Yunho even more reluctant. He cannot imagine how high his father and grandfather would jump at him if they were still alive. They did make him fight to the death, which he has no intentions of doing.

Yuchun’s expression became unreadable again as he takes a step forward. “I didn’t ask for a quarter of each. I want everything I asked for.”

“I.” Yunho immediately clears his throat. “FINE!! How about half of each?” Yunho grimaced a little before speaking again, picturing his loss as the negotiation proceeds.

Yuchun paused and took his time to stare at the lone carriage containing Jejung, situated at the farthest end. Then, returning his attention to the balding trees in the plantation just around the corner, Yuchun is reaffirmed that half of whatever he asked for will not be enough. Mother Nature hadn’t been kind to him this year with the pathetic harvests and he had already done too much damage with the battles previously.

With the original peace treaty intact, he can at least ensure that his people pulls through the upcoming winter, since they still have time to salvage some crops and fishes. However, with half the amount, half his population is bound to perish. Not to forget that he will be rendered helpless and at the mercy of every other neighbouring countries who are only pretending to enjoy being in the alliance with him. With Yunho being the biggest threat.

The other emperors are constantly watching Yuchun and Yunho like hungry wolves waiting to consume their share of the meat, which will be their land and resources in this case. Besides, the recent marriages between the two other alliances have undoubtedly become quite a threat to Yuchun and Yunho, as much as the two younger kings hate to admit it, since they both have no sisters to offer to those older, slyer kings.

The marriage between Yunho and Jejung, and the pending one between Junsu and Yuchun is something unexpected but strangely beneficial for either side. Rather, more so for Yuchun, even though he has to sacrifice Jejung. Yunho does not see what he will get to gain from this yet, and he definitely does not see eye to eye with Yuchun.

“I can’t take him back Yunho dono.” Yuchun replied stubbornly and Yunho sulked dramatically.

“I knew you would say that!” “YAH!! What do I have to do?!” “How about I spare you some food supplies and gold as well then you spare me the pain of sending my brother over, huh?” Yunho is miffed, but tried to reason calmly instead.

“I saw pass your blatant disregard for my brother during the ceremony and now you bring him back, demanding that I take him back.” “What are you trying to insinuate?” “Is he not pure enough for you?” Yuchun tries to embarrass Yunho and the other king had to swallow whatever swearing words he was tempted to say. He comes in peace and does not wish to return in pieces.

“What?! NO!!” “On the contrary, I haven’t touched him so I won’t know if he is pure or whatever!” Yunho interjected.

“He spends a night at your place and you expect me to believe you.” Yuchun is trying to corner Yunho and try his patience, but the man comes prepared.

“Fine!! You know what?” “I brought him along just so you can examine him with your own eyes and ask him with your own mouth, if I had indeed touched him.” Strutting over to Jejung’s carriage confidently, the Korean emperor ushered the prince out of his carriage rudely before half dragging and half pushing the younger one in between him and Yuchun.

Cowering, Jejung does not even look up at Yuchun as the man watches them coldly. Yuchun is greatly angered by how Yunho was shoving Jejung while the other acts like a scaredy-cat. “Did I touch you last night?! Or the night before!?” Yunho bellowed at Jejung in front of Yuchun, instigating the shogun to sock him in the face.

“SMACK!!” A slap landed square across Jejung’s cheeks instead, stunning Yunho as he takes a step back. Yuchun is in front of Jejung within the blink of an eye and have already issued the younger latter a tight slap before Yunho can say another word.

“Have they not taught you how to please your man?” Yuchun questioned Jejung sternly and all the other could do was whimper. Yunho is dumbfounded, frowning as he watches the siblings interact with much awkwardness. Gulping down saliva as he tries not to interfere, Yunho is even more convinced that he must never allow Junsu to set foot into the dark palace building looming so intimidatingly in front of him

After a few more sentences of Japanese, spoken too quickly and softly for Yunho to catch, Yuchun is walking back through his palace gates again. “Very well then, Yunho dono. Since it’s my fault for not teaching him right, I shall oblige and give him to you in exchange for those conditions we have agreed on in the treaty.”

“Your brother can stay with you for as long as I get everything I need from you.” Yuchun said conclusively, eyeing Jejung once more before signalling for the guards to close the heavy wooden doors in Yunho and Jejung’s faces.

“YAH!!! WAIT WAIT WAIT!!!” Yunho raced forwards and stuffed his hand in the middle, stopping them from closing the broad panels. “I don’t need your brother either!!”

“Take him back and I will give you three quarter!!” Yunho said finally. Three quarter is the final amount he had come prepared to offer. Cursing under his breathe, Yunho can feel his ancestors’ disgusted glares directed at him from the heavens above. A sudden clap of the thunder then makes him jump a little, taking him by surprise. It’s almost like a sure sign of disapproval and Yunho made a mental note to pray harder to them when he returns, if he succeeds with this negotiation at all.

“No. I want everything. I offered you my brother to you, so this is a fair exchange.” Yuchun stopped walking and spoke, but not turning around to face Yunho.

“NO!! Wait!! I really don’t want your brother in exchange for anything!!” “Three quarter and we call it quits. No marriage. No more battles. No more hatred.” Yunho tried to coax Yuchun into agreeing but the shogun had done his math and is adamant.

“Is he not good enough for you? I am verily insulted.” Yuchun continued retorting without looking at Yunho, meaning to frame the other if he were to say something wrong.

“YES. YES. He is not good enough!!” Yunho falls for it and huffed, face reddened as he tries not to look too flustered. He is. Yuchun closing the door on him meant that the negotiation is over and Yunho has no doubts in his mind that the shogun will come knocking at his doors, asking for Junsu with an entire army if this meeting does not fall through nicely. He is not kin on going to war again so he is desperate to make Yuchun stay and talk.

“HOW DARE YOU!” The shogun jumped at the chance and bared his fangs. Drawing his katana, the shogun swung it into Yunho’s face and edged towards the stunned man. “You have insulted me, my brother and my father and you will not be forgiven!”

“I will pretend that we never had this conversation if you fight me now.” “If you win, you may leave and you shall not give me a single thing. BUT. If you lose, your brother comes in a week’s time!” Slicing Yunho’s sword sheath off his girdle before the other king can reach down for it; Yuchun intimidated the man by tossing the other’s sword into his face, indicating that he is much stronger.

Perspiring cold liquid, Yunho forced himself to pluck up whatever courage his has left and drew his own weapon.

Icy metal whistling with the chilly wind as small needle like rain drops fall from the skies, Yunho blinked a few times to get rid of the stinging irritation in his eyes as the rain drops and sweat dribbles pass his cornea. Breathing in and out slowly, Yunho tried to calculate his odds and decide on where Yuchun will attack from this time, since he had sparred with the man countless times before.

Running sideways, the shogun caused Yunho to draw in a deep breath sharply as ‘spectators’ cramp together, around the arena. Then, from out of nowhere, Yuchun had brought his katana down onto Yunho’s chest, making the big man jump back in an attempt to dodge the killer blades.

“CLANK!” Yunho quickly returned the blow and swung his own weapon into Yuchun’s.

Determined to end this before it starts to pour, the shogun tackled Yunho with speed and velocity like never before. Yunho could barely hold out as he struggles to survive. After a tiring ten minutes or so, a thoroughly exhausted Yunho is on the ground as Yuchun rests his katana tip on his sternum.

“You lose.” Yuchun watches Yunho with hawk like eyes, serious about going in for the kill if Yunho dares to put up a struggle.

“Please. Come on man. I didn’t mean to anger you!” “Can’t we just settle for three quarter?!” Yunho tried to sit up while almost begging as the drizzle starts to transform into bigger rain drops. Yuchun does not speak. He simply stood with his katana still at a dangerous position, contemplating if he should just end Yunho there and then.

An idea hits him while he watches his brother’s wide doe eyes from the corner of his own as the younger one wills him not to hurt Yunho, cowering from the side. The idea that if Yunho were to die now, there will be no one more at an advantage except for the other alliances enemies, and especially not him. On the other hand, if Yunho dies with Jejung as his empress, and with the Korean prince as his own, Yuchun stand to gain much more.

In fact, Yuchun even started to toy with the idea of sparing Yunho and cancelling the assassination for as long as the man keeps quiet and allows him to take charge. After all, if the two are to combine forces, they will be invincible in no time. The only thing stopping them from achieving that is their dislike for one another as well as their useless pride and ancestry.

“ALRIGHT!!!” “GOD!! I WILL GIVE YOU EVERYTHING AS LONG AS YOU LEAVE MY BROTHER ALONE!!” Being forced to say this, Yunho wanted to just bite his own tongue to stop those words from slipping out, but he knows he is left with little options, again. Yuchun is indeed his nemesis and ‘dislike’ is only a less intense word used to describe Korean emperor’s feeling towards the shogun.

“It’s too late for that, Yunho dono.” “Send him over when you are ready.” “I will give you a week to say your farewells.” Yuchun raised his sword and placed it at the entrance of his sheath. “I will be waiting.”

“DAMN YOU!!!” Yunho slammed his fist into the ground and tried to reach for his sword once more, but Yuchun had gotten to it first and is standing on it.

“I would love to be friends from next week on.” Yuchun smiled and slid his sword into the holder, a hundred and eighty degree change in attitude.

“Jejung.” “I want no more complains about you from Yunho dono, am I understood?” Yuchun snapped his head sideways slightly to face the now drenched young man, facial expression hardened. Jejung immediately bows his head and keeps it low, long black hair dripping as he races to Yunho’s side and tries to help the man up.

Lying flat on his back, the other refuses to budge at first, swallowing rain water as the torrents threatens to drown him. Then, sitting up slowly, the Korean emperor tried to start an argument again but Yuchun is nowhere in sight. The gates are also closed and all he is left with is his own wet shivering escorts and an equally soaked and cold Jejung.

Staring hard at Jejung, Yunho wanted to hit him, but it’s dawned on him that abusing Jejung wouldn’t change anything.

TBC

Please do comment and subscribe! *bows*