Chapter 21

Look at Me

With your eyes shut, you still could sense he was getting closer before your heart gave you a different vibe. Your eyes opened instantly and his eyes stared at you, startled. “Oppa, I can’t do this,” you blurted out.

Hakyeon leaned back quickly as his eyes darted out of the windshield, arms draped on the steering wheel. He then hung his head low, disappointed that he almost kissed you without your consent. He wasn’t supposed to be like this, taking advantage of you in your current state.

Your thumping heart gave out different vibe; it did not act that way because of what Hakyeon was going to do. It was more because of something else…

It was as if your heart could sense the presence of someone you’ve been missing. Eyes wandering out of the window, desperately looking for that figure your brain had memorised. Tears welled up in your eyes, threatening to fall as it gradually blurred your vision. “Where are you, Ravi-ah?” you screamed in your mind but you saw him nowhere. The place packed by audiences in car that had the same intention with both of you, the outdoor cinema.

“I’m sorry,” Hakyeon voiced as he looked at you. You turned to face him with glassy eyes, “Oppa…” Your voice trembled. He noticed the look in your face and he not hesitantly wiped the tears that just slid down your cheek.

“I didn’t mean it,” he uttered, feeling guilty but you just shook your head, too sad to even say anything. It was not his fault, you wanted to spill out everything to him but you didn’t want to hurt him on the day he treat you kindly.

“I promise I won’t do it-”

You cut him as you threw your arms around him and pulled him closer into an embrace, crying your heart out. “Oppa, stop it,” you spoke between your sob. His face fell immediately, trying to figure out your word.

“Stop being so kind to me,” you uttered between your hiccups.

Hakyeon stared in front of him, speechless. Were you going to end everything now?

“Stop it already,” you buried your face on his shoulder, crying all your heart out. You didn’t care how bad you look later on as long as you let all out. There was no other way to let the feeling you had been buried deep enough to finally erupt but in front of Hakyeon.

You had nobody to speak up your heart anymore…

This time, you couldn’t hold it anymore. You really miss him, Kim Wonshik.

---

Hakyeon halted his car in front of your house and glanced to his side, smiling at your sight. You had fallen asleep after crying your heart out and he couldn’t help but feeling guiltier every time he looked at you.

Deciding to not awake you in any second, he seized the opportunity to gaze at your sleeping figure. He took a glimpse to the clock at the dashboard before he returned his attention to you and whispered, “Merry Christmas…”

You shifted your body causing him to cover his mouth and held his breath, afraid that you might awake but you continued your sleep soundly. He smiled and uncovered his mouth before he pulled the cover he placed on your body upper to your shoulder.

His smile disappeared as he lost in his own thought. Why he did this to you? No matter what he did to you, he still felt there was a huge gap between you two. You still didn’t tell him the things that bother you so much and from that he could already tell…

He was not the one.

But he was still not fully prepared to hear that from your own mouth. He still wanted to hang around you and held your hands, making you smile and brighten your days but…

Why did he feel that the day of him losing you were getting closer?

Now that even Ravi was hiding himself to give him way. He had warned Ravi and made everything he could to separate both of you but he overlooked the fact that both of you had feelings for each other from the start. Those feelings that even him couldn’t prevent from growing.

He knew it, he could see it. He was not blind. Even though you didn’t tell him and confirmed it.

He just wanted to see how long you managed to endure. It was funny how you would come to him every time he called you but returned to Ravi when the days end.

“Jumi-ah, wake up.”

You felt someone shook your body lightly. Lazily, you opened your eyes to see Hakyeon smiling by your side. “Wake up, we’re here already.”

Nodding, you got up and returned his coat that had been covering you. “Sorry Oppa, I dozed off,” you spoke as you rubbed your right eye. Hakyeon grabbed your wrist, “Don’t rub your eyes, come I lift you inside.”

“It’s okay Oppa,” you refused but he didn’t hear you as he quickly got out and ran to your side, opening the door.

“I’m wide awake, I can walk by myself,” you explained but he shook his head. “Do you see the white stuffs over there,” he pointed to the ice covered ground. “Your feet will feel cold, let me lift you safely.”

You laughed, “Oppa, that’s ridiculous. I have boots on.”

“No, I don’t hear anything,” he placed his arm under your legs and another arm behind your back. “Treat this as a Christmas present, okay?”

You stared at him for a moment before you finally agreed, “Are you sure you can lift me?”

He laughed, “I’ll try my best.”

“Oppa, don’t drop me!” you warned. He laughed again and managed to lift you out from his car, you secured your arms around his neck, afraid that he might drop you but he only laughed at your reaction.

“Don’t you trust me? I’m not weak as you think.”

“Stop talking and send me in,” you scolded causing him to laugh again. “Oppa!”

“Okay, okay. Let’s get in,” he uttered and adjusted your position in his arms. You leaned in closer to the point you hugged his neck, too scared to even move.

Slowly, he made steps towards the front door. As his feet stepped on the door step, he carefully let go of you. You stood straight in front of him with the door against your back; he gazed down at you with his sweetest smile.

“Merry Christmas, Jumi-ah. Hohoho,” he expressed.

Smiling, you nodded. “Merry Christmas too, Hakyeon Oppa.”

“Ho-ho-ho,” you copied him causing him to chuckle.

“You’re good,” he nodded, acknowledging.

You flashed him your cocky smile. He shifted his eyes to the nearest window, “It’s dark, are you alone tonight?”

You followed his gaze and looked back at him, “No, I think Omma had gone to bed early since we’ll go to my grandparent house tomorrow.”

An ‘O’ shaped formed on his mouth, satisfied with your answer.

“So?” you questioned as the awkwardness began to creep in.

“So?” he returned your question.

You blushed suddenly and looked down. He noticed it and smiled, “That’s it?” He began to tease you.

Quickly you looked up to meet his eyes, “What do you mean?”

A sly smile spread on his face, “Where’s my Christmas present?”

Anxiously, you rubbed the back of your neck. “I don’t have-” you paused as you saw his smile disappeared. “Well, I have prepared your Christmas present!” you chimed.

“You did?” Hakyeon getting excited like a little kid. “What it is? I can’t wait for it!”

“Don’t be surprised,” you blushingly told him.

He looked at you with glistening eyes before he froze as you tiptoed and kiss both his cheeks one by one. “Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Oppa, good night,” you uttered and quickly opened the door behind you and left him alone on the door step.

He blankly stared the still door in front of him, wondering.

“Is there still hope…?”

---

“Grandma!” you cried as soon as your grandmother came into sight.

“My pretty granddaughter, Jumi-ah, you came,” your grandmother received your hug as she pulled you closer. You hugged your grandmother long, not wanted to let go as you supressed the gloomy feeling that wanted to take over.

“I’ll be your centre of attention today grandma,” you uttered soft.

Patting your back gently, she realised your long hug was unusual. “Why is it, honey?”

You cleared your throat as you let go of your grandmother, searching her eyes and made an eye contact. “Wonshik is not coming. So grandma won’t leave me behind anymore like when he is around,” you tried to say those sentences in a brighter tone, but you just couldn’t. Your eyes couldn’t hide the pain.

Chuckles escaped your grandmother’s mouth. “Is that it? I promise I’ll give the same attention when he’s around. Why isn’t he coming? Is his parents doesn’t allow him to come? I thought he promised to come this year’s Christmas?”

Shrugged off, you grabbed your grandmother’s arm and lead her in, “What do I get this Christmas?”

---

Eyes staring at the large, thin and rectangular wrapped present next to the Christmas tree, your body stood still as your mother stood next to you. “That one, the biggest one is yours. You’re lucky this year to have the largest one,” your grandmother spoke and left you alone.

Your other cousins haven’t arrived yet and there were other small presents under the Christmas tree. Just by looking at it, you could predict what was in the inside. “It couldn’t be,” you thought as you walked closer to run your finger on the wrapping.

“Wow, is that yours?” a voice intruded you. Automatically, you turned your head to see your cousin standing beside you. “What?” she questioned.

Pulling your hand back, “No, it’s not mine.”

“Then? Who owns it?” she moved closer to take a peek at the small name written on the wrapping. “It’s yours!”

“You must read it wrongly, Nari unnie.”

She shook her head, defending her answer. “I’m not lying, you can have a look.”

“Later will do,” you avoided as you about to leave her. “Wait, where Wonshik is?” she asked causing you to stop abruptly.

“He follows his parent to their hometown,” you replied to leave but then return back to the Christmas tree to take your Christmas present. Seeing you have difficulty on lifting it up with you, Nari tried to give a hand but then you coldly pulled away and brought the present away from her leaving her puzzled with your sudden cold treatment.

---

Setting the present in front of you, you brought your finger to the corner of the wrapping. Slowly and carefully, you ripped off the paper wrapping and revealed the inside. The sight sent ache to your heart as your eyes laid on the beautifully drawn drawing.

It was the drawing of the lake at the back of Iseul’s house. You had seen this drawing and you knew the person who drew this.

“Ravi?” you questioned yourself.

Quickly, you got up and leave the room you occupied to find your mother at the kitchen. As soon as your grandmother’s figure caught your eyes, you ran to her without caring other relative in the kitchen at the time. “Grandma, how do you get my present?”

Your grandmother, who was shocked with your sudden arrival, turned and rubbed her chest. “You almost got me heart attack.”

“Tell me, how did you get my present? Did you buy it?”

Shaking her head as an answer, she gulped before she finished her answer. “Someone sent it. I don’t know who is it but for sure, someone sent it for you. I was also surprised at first but just think you’re lucky.”

“Why? What is it?” Nari interfered who was happened to be in the kitchen as well.

You shook your head, not bother to answer as you leave the kitchen leaving your grandmother and Nari puzzled.

---

Staring at the hanging drawing on the wall of your bedroom, you inhaled deeply before you heaved out a heavy sigh. It was the last day of the year and still, there was no news regarding your best friend… or boyfriend.

You rarely got out of your house since the Ravi disappeared from your life. Only when Hakyeon asked you out, you got out. The rest of the day would be spent in your room, knitting a warm scarf with Ravi in your mind and if not, staring at the drawing of the lake.

A knock heard on your room’s door. Lazily, you got up to open the door and stumbled back to see the figure that standing against you.

~~~

A/N: Should I give Hakyeon a chance? Why is it getting complicated? T.T

I'm thinking of writing a new story featuring Leo... ummmm.

Subscribe and Comment ^^