The Phone Call

The Twisted Truth

Ji Young prepared the ramen in silence. She was listening to music on her IPod, but she wasn't really paying attention. Her mind was still on today's incidents. She began chopping some radishes, but she was too deep in her thoughts that she accidentally cut her finger.

The smell of blood wafted to her nose, snapping her out of her thoughts. She looked at the chopping board. Blood was dripping down the side and mixing with the radish pieces.

She looked at her cut finger. A 2 millimeter long cut seeped out blood.

" Ji Young-ah! "

Her head spun in th direction of the loud voice. Ryeowook entered the kitchen with a shocked look on his face. Her brother rushed to her and held her bleeding finger.

" What happened to your finger?! What did you do!? "

He took her hand and pulled her to the sink. He switched on the tap and put his sister's finger under the running water.

" Ouch!!! "

" Stop struggling! I won't be able to clean your wound like this! "

" It stings like hell! Aah! "

" Who asked you not to pay attention to your surroundings? If you payed attention when using the knife, you wouldn't have cut your finger! See the logic? "

" Let go of my finger! Ouch! Oppa! "

But he didn't listen. He took some soap and gently scrubbed Ji Young's wound. She winced and struggled a little. After Ryeowook cleaned the wound, he reached for the first aid kit in a cabinet, took a plaster and wrapped Ji Young's finger.

Ji Young sat glumly on the chair and massaged her finger gingerly. Ryeowook put the first aid box back.

" Next time, pay attention to what you're doing. Unless you wanna suffer another accident like this again. "

" Yes, oppa. It still hurts. ", she pouted.

" Of course it hurts! What do you expect? Think about something else, not the pain. I don't have to tell you this, do I? "

" Aniyo. "

" Now, go and sit outside while I prepare dinner. "

" But I'm supposed to help you, Wookie oppa! "

" You can't. You have a cut finger. "

" But-- "

" No buts. Now, go sit outside. "

" Can't I at least do something? "

" Aniyo. Go and rest. I can manage by myself. "

" Alright. "

Ji Young reluctantly dragged herself to the living room. Her brother wouldn't even let her do one small thing! Her brothers would treat her like a princess, which she was embarrassed with.

She went out and plopped down on the sofa next to Jonghyun, who was watching TV. She leaned her head on her brother's shoulder.

Jonghyun saw her and put an arm around her shoulders. Ji Young leaned on her brother's shoulder.

" What happened to your finger, Jiji? "

" I just cut myself accidentally. No biggie. "

" It is a biggie. You weren't paying attention from the looks of it. "

" I'm not a baby. I'm 16 and I can take care of myself. "

" Yes, yes, I know. But we're here for you, arasso? "

" Arasso, Jjong oppa. "

Just then, the phone rang. Ji Young picked it up and answered it.

" Yoboseyo? "

" Yoboseyo, Ji Young. "

" Who is this calling? "

Hearing this, Kangin, Key and Heechul sat up straight. Either this was a stranger calling or one of their friends.

" It's me, Siwon. "

" Ahh. I see. Why are you calling? "

" Give me that. ", Heechul said.

Before Ji Young could react, Heechul had snatched the phone from her hands and answered it.

" Who is this calling? "

Ji Young heard garbles of words. Siwon's voice sounded cold.

" I don't want you talking to my sister or calling this number ever again! Don't call my sister in my household, got that!? ", Heechul snapped.

" She's our sister as well, don't you remember?! "

Ji Young froze again. She was Siwon and Minho's sister as well???? How???? She can't be!!! Her surname is Kim, not Choi!!!! What was Siwon talking about???? First, the Lee brothers said she's their sister and now, Siwon says that she is their sister!!!! What in the world was happening!!??

Heechul looked at his sister's frightened face and immediately knew that she had heard Siwon's yell. That wasn't good, not good at all.

" Stupid! You didn't have to yell! "

" And why not?! "

" Because she's standing behind me, idiot! "

" So?! She has every right to know the truth! "

" Aniyo! She can't! I won't allow it! "

" Oh, yeah? Meet me and Minho outside school tonight at 12am. Don't keep us waiting... "

" Who else will be there? I'm gonna put an end to this once and for all... "

" The Lee brothers are gonna be there. It will be a meeting, brother... "

" Don't call me that! You're not my brother! "

" Yes, you are. Have you forgotten? "

" Shut up! We'll be there... "

" Good. "

The line went dead. Heechul slammed the phone down. Ji Young nearly jumped out of her skin. Her brother was scaring her.

" Oppa...? "

" Ye? "

" I'm their sister...? But...how is that possible....? We don't have the same surname....so, how...how in anyway can we be siblings...? "

" Don't think about it, arasso? "

" Dinner's ready~ ", Ryeowook sang out before Ji Young could answer.

" Promise me that you won't think about it, Ji Young-ah? "

" Arasso, Chulie oppa. "

" Good girl. Now, let's go have dinner! "

" Arasso! ", she giggled.

" Last one to finish dinner must serve hot chocolate! ", he chuckled, running off.

" YAH! Wait for me!!! ", she called out, speeding after him.

Heechul smiled. He remembered a similar memory that happened 12 years ago...

12 Years Ago...

" Yah, Heechul oppa. Why didn't you let me make friends with that cute boy? He's just my age and he's a nice guy. "

" It's nothing, okay? Now, come in and have lunch. "

" Arasso! "

" Haha, okay! Last one home must buy ice-cream! "

" YAH! Wait for me! "

Heechul snapped back to reality. That was 12 years ago. This is the present. A lot of things changed. More problems arise with each passing day, each passing year. He must protect his sister at all costs, even if it kills him.

*****

After a silent dinner, Ji Young brought the bowls in to wash them. When she had gone in, Heechul got his brothers to huddle together.

" What's wrong, hyung? ", Kangin asked.

" Tonight at 12, the Choi brothers and the Lee brothers are meeting us in front of the school. "

" Is it something to do with Ji Young? ", Key asked.

" I'm afraid so. "

" Omo!? The s... ", Jonghyun muttered through clenched teeth.

" We have to settle this once and for all tonight, arasso? "

" Arasso. ", the rest of the boys answered in unison.

At that very moment, Ji Young walked out of the kitchen. She was swaying her head to a tune on her Ipod. When she saw her oppas huddled together, she took out her earbuds.

" What are you doing, oppas? "

The boys turned around and looked at one another. Kibum was the first to pipe up.

" We're planning something for your birthday. "

The boys quickly nodded. They didn't want their sister to know the real reason.

" What is it then? "

" We can't tell you. It's a surprise. ", Yesung grinned.

" Aww~ "

" Go to sleep. We'll see you upstairs, arasso? "

" Arasso. "

With that, Ji Young went upstairs.

" Phew! That was close! ", Kangin breathed a sigh of relief.

" Too close for comfort. ", Ryeowook agreed.

" Let's get this settled tonight. ", Heechul muttered.

" Arasso. ", the boys said.

*****

Ji Young was humming to another song on her Ipod, when her phone rang. She paused her music, looked at the screen and a shiver ran down her spine.

The screen read:

UNKNOWN NUMBER

" Yo--yoboseyo? "

" Ji--Ji Young...is that you? ", a small, timid voice squeaked out.

" Taemin oppa! What is it? Why are you calling me? "

" My--my hyungs are angry over something. I--I heard y--yo--your name being mentioned. I'm scared... "

" My oppas are angry at something too. Taemin, what else did they say? "

" They--they--AAH! NO, HYUNG, NO! GIMME BACK MY PHONE! "

Ji Young heard grunts and screams of protest on the other end of the line.

" Taemin? Taemin?? TAEMIN??? TAEMIN, ARE YOU THERE!? TAEMIN, ANSWER ME!!!! "

" Yoboseyo, Ji Young. it's me, Sungmin. "

 " Sungmin oppa, what's going on? What's happening? "

" It's nothing. Everything's gonna be alright, arasso? "

" Wha--what is going on between y--you and my o--oppas...? "

" It's nothing. Please believe me. I don't want you, my precious, little sister, to get involved....please. "

" But, Sungmin oppa, how am I your sister? "

" It's a long story. I'll tell you when the time is right. Goodbye. "

Then, the line went dead. Ji Young switched off her phone.

" It's a long story. ", Sungmin's voice replayed itself repeatedly in her mind.

" Me... their sister....how....? ", Ji Young mumbled over and over again.

Just then, Yesung came into the room silently. He grinned, snuck behind his sister and then...

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

" BOO!!!!! "

" YAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!! "

" Teeheeehee! I scared you again! ", Yesung guffawed.

" Yesungie oppa! ", Ji Young whined.

" Ahahahaha! Anyway, it's time to sleep. "

" Arasso. "

Ji Young kissed her brother good night and he tucked her in like a little girl.

" Good night, oppa. "

" Good night, Ji Young-ah. "

Her brother switched off the light and closed the door, leaving her in total and complete darkness. Ji Young closed her eyes and slept soundly.

How was the chapter? If it was lame, wait for the next one! Comment and subscribe! :D