chapter 12

my roommate, my vampire
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

a/n: so i know im a little off schedule but i am rejoicing because my friends were all back in the gc and they keep gassing me up so i have to return in kind - will i update for friday?? who even knows??? just enjoy chapter 12 *smirk* - so when i had originally wrote this story back in 2020, there was no - there still isn't pre-edits and it might actually stay mostly non-explicit but like i said who even knows???? but there is spiciness in this series...seriously spicy *smirk* eventually though, but yall dont know when so thats that *smirk* i'm going to leave yall to yell at me now ENJOY THE CHAPTER

 

The next morning at about 8am, Wendy hears a knock on her door that startles her because she’s so used to being left alone early in the mornings. 

When she opens her door, she sees Seulgi standing there with a bright smile on her face, eyes almost disappearing with how gleeful she is to see Wendy. 

“Wannie!” she greets happily. “I’m so glad you’re up early.” 

“To be honest, you startled me,” Wendy jokes as she points to her neighbor. “Joohyun unnie wakes up really late so I’m used to being alone.” 

Seulgi nods in agreement. “Same with Sooyoung. But I figured we could catch up while those princesses sleep?” 

“Absolutely!”

Seulgi ends up convincing Wendy to go down to the fitness center with her. It doesn’t take much to convince Wendy considering how much they ate the previous night. 

It’s been awhile since they’ve worked out together. It was always easier when they lived together but now that they don’t live together, Wendy really misses having the luxury of her best friend around to complain to. 

“Why do we do this to ourselves again?” Wendy complains as she uses maximum effort to lift the small barbell. 

“You’re a healthcare professional, you tell me,” Seulgi quips playfully as she works on her squats with the kettlebell. 

Wendy huffs as she puts the barbell down on the stand with a clunk. She winces at the sound because she’s always hated it when other people have done it. She moves to sit on the bench near Seulgi. “Health, fitness, relieving stress, etc,” she tries to catch her breath. 

“How eloquent, Dr. Son.” 

“Shh, I’m trying to breathe, oxygen is important to the muscle cells to produce energy right now,” Wendy waves off. 

“Speaking of which, you’re starting residency right?” Seulgi asks through her breaths. The beads of sweat are sliding down her face as she huffs. “Do you know where you’re going yet?” 

“I’m aiming to stay in Seoul if I can, but I have to wait until after my exam,” Wendy leans back, eyeing the kettlebell that Seulgi is lifting, seeing the 50kg. “Did you get stronger since we last worked out together?” 

Seulgi finally stops, placing the weight down with a low thud. “I guess so?” she looks down at the weight. “Sooyoung keeps increasing the weights on me when I’m not looking.” 

Wendy laughs incredulously. “Sooyoung works out with you?” 

Seulgi shakes her head as she moves to sit on the floor to look up at Wendy. “If you mean, dressing up in fitness clothes and watching me work out, then yes. She does it pretty often.”

“That sounds about right. And you just let her add more weight?” 

“She’s very convincing,” Seulgi shyly says, her cheeks turning red. 

Wendy kicks at her best friend with disgust. “You’ve gotten so much grosser since you started living with Sooyoung.” 

“And you’ve turned into a recluse,” Seulgi also complains as she kicks at Wendy’s feet playfully. “I’m still waiting on an invitation to visit.” 

“I know, I know,” Wendy says with a regretful sigh. “I’ve just been really enjoying living with Joohyun unnie I guess.” Seulgi tilts her head at Wendy curiously. “There’s like no pressure? We keep to ourselves when we have work, we clean up after ourselves, and sometimes we have dinner together and it’s just pleasant. We go grocery shopping, catch up on school and work, listen to music, and relax. No one ever really bothers either of us. I don’t know, it’s nice and peaceful.” 

“You sound like someone in a 10 year marriage,” Seulgi points out with a small smile. 

“Oh my god!” Wendy exclaims, rolling her eyes and laughing at the incredulity of Seulgi’s words. In the back of her mind, she can’t really disagree, but she knows better. They barely know each other. Wendy can only admit that she feels immensely comfortable with Joohyun. “It’s not like that. We are just homebodies on the same wavelength.”

“I’m just saying that’s what it sounds like.” Seulgi’s teasing is relentless. She knows her best friend; she won’t push too hard, but she can tell. 

Wendy rolls off the bench to stand up. “Whatever,” she continues to brush off, “let’s go get breakfast.” Seulgi wiggles her outstretched hands in silent demand for Wendy to pull her up. 

 

When they go to the dining hall for breakfast, they actually run into Joohyun sitting at one of the corner tables, quietly reading the paper. Again, even in the early morning, Joohyun looks peaceful and content. She sips her tea as she reads the newspaper and there’s a small plate of food before her. She looks like a dream. It brings a smile to Wendy’s face. The image of seeing Joohyun on early mornings like this is like seeing another side of Joohyun once again. 

The smile on Wendy’s face grows at the thought of approaching the woman, when she feels Seulgi stop her. 

“Do you think we should be bothering her?” Seulgi asks with uncertainty. 

Wendy reads her best friend’s face. “Are you scared of her?” she teases playfully.

“What do you think?” 

“Oh come on, she’s not scary.” 

“You’re not dating her sister.” Seulgi lets out a small sigh. “I feel like she hates me.” 

“If she really hated you, would you even be here?” Wendy offers as a reprieve. She doesn’t know if Joohyun likes Seulgi, but she loves Sooyoung enough to try and be nice to Seulgi, even if Seulgi doesn’t quite see it. 

“I figured Sooyoung convinced her,” Seulgi reasons, biting the inside of her cheek. 

“Even then, let’s say hi. If she wants us to sit with her, we can, and if she doesn’t want to, then she won’t offer,” Wendy confidently says. Seulgi still looks scared, but Wendy just starts walking with Seulgi tagging along. 

As they get close, Joohyun folds the paper that she’s reading closed and looks up at them. Wendy can hear the little yelp from Seulgi, forgetting that she’s used to Joohyun knowing when she approaches. 

“Morning, unnie.” 

“Seungwan,” Joohyun greets with a soft smile before looking at Seulgi. “Seulgi.” 

“Unnie,” Seulgi shyly greets. 

Wendy looks to either of them to say more, but they don’t. She knows that Joohyun is a little awkward around new people and Seulgi is still shaking around Joohyun’s presence. “Isn’t it early for you to be up?” she playfully asks. 

Joohyun reaches for her tea. “I thought I’d catch up on the news.” 

“Reading the papers?” Wendy banters, gesturing at Joohyun’s small stack. 

“It’s world news,” Joohyun informs with a roll of her eyes. 

“Okay, grannie.” 

“Tsk.” Joohyun glares and reaches for her tea. 

“Oh! Kusama Yayoi is exhibiting in France,” Seulgi points out, reaching to slide one of the papers from under the stack. She starts reading the small ad with dates and locations with interest. “And the museum in Daegu in the spring.” 

Joohyun looks at Seulgi in surprise and simply says, “The paper is in Japanese.” 

Seulgi realizes Joohyun is staring at her and bashfully nods. “I studied abroad for a few years when I was younger.” 

“Hmm.” Joohyun merely sounds, earning an uneasy look from Seulgi. “Sooyoung wants to go to France when she graduates.” 

“Yep, it’ll be after my showcase too, so…” Seulgi stops herself from saying that they’d be going together. 

“I’m assuming you’ll be going with her?” Joohyun raises an eyebrow. Seulgi freezes. “Sooyoung gets jet lag easily. You’ll need to make sure she gets a lot of rest and drinks her supplement.” 

Seulgi nods diligently, even though she already knows. But there’s a quiet relief that Joohyun isn’t angry that they’re going together. At least she hopes that Joohyun’s even tone of voice means that she’s not mad. 

Wendy smiles between the two women. That’s something. She looks at Joohyun proudly because it’s obvious that she’s making an effort to be nice to Seulgi. She doesn’t want them to lose momentum now.

Joohyun notices at the corner of her eyes and dryly asks, “What, Seungwan?” 

Wendy shrugs innocently. “Do you want to catch us up on the news?” She gestures to the stack of newspapers. 

“Isn’t that what your phone is for?” Joohyun banters in return. She’s unamused because she knows Wendy is teasing her.

Wendy sits down in the seat next to Joohyun. “It’s more fun if you tell me,” she playfully says. “Besides, I’m sure Seulgi is interested too.” 

Seulgi looks briefly in a panic. Her eyes open wide like a deer in headlights because Wendy just sat down. “I wouldn’t want to bother you, Joohyun unnie,” she says quickly.

Joohyun lets out a small sigh and waves to the seat across from her. “Sit. Your breakfast is getting cold.” 

Breakfast doesn’t turn out so badly. Joohyun and Seulgi are still a bit awkward around each other, but Seulgi finds it easier to talk to Joohyun with Wendy’s teasing because Joohyun’s smile and banter makes her less scary. Even though they don’t explicitly talk about Seulgi and Sooyoung’s relationship, Seulgi feels more confident to broach the topic at another time. 

They finish up their breakfast (Joohyun and her tea because she doesn’t end up touching anything on her plate) and go up together when Sooyoung texts Seulgi asking where she is. 

“Sooyoung wants to know where you are,” Seulgi says from the message on her phone. “She wasn’t sure if you’d be joining us today.”

Joohyun nods. “I’ll let her know.” 

“Of course you’re coming,” Wendy suddenly says, looking at Joohyun in confusion. “You don’t have anything on your schedule.” 

Joohyun’s eyes widen at Wendy in shock before she sheepishly lies. “I have some things to do.” 

Wendy shoots her a deadpanned look. “You have to come with us. You’re not staying in your hotel room the whole time.” 

Joohyun looks uneasy as Wendy stares at her because Seulgi is also staring at their interaction. “I’ll check Sooyoung’s message,” she confirms for Seulgi. “It shouldn’t be a problem.” She unlocks the door to her room.

“I’ll see you guys in a bit,” Wendy waves before following Joohyun into her room. 

Seulgi stands there in confusion as she watches Wendy disappear into Joohyun’s hotel room. “But...that’s your door…” she blankly points at the room next to hers. 

The door closes behind Joohyun and she hears footsteps against the carpet. She turns around quickly to see Wendy following her in. “Seungwan, what’re you doing?” she asks without missing a beat.

“I’m following you,” Wendy answers as if it’s the most obvious thing. It really is. “I just wanted to make sure that you’re going to come with us today.”

“Why are you being so insistent?” Joohyun asks at the sudden boldness her roommate is expressing. 

“You were talking with Seulgi this morning!” Wendy points out with excitement. “In a not so ‘I’m your in-law fear me’ kind of way. That’s great!” 

“What does that have to do with anything?” 

“You were trying to be nice.” 

Joohyun stares at Wendy, almost glaring at her. “So what?” 

“Don’t you want your sister to see that? So she doesn’t have to walk around eggshells with you.” 

Joohyun’s eyebrow twitches. “Have you always been this impertinent?”

“Only when the situation calls for it,” Wendy answers without any hesitation. There’s a bit of pride Wendy has about that and she stands up taller. The brief surprise in Joohyun’s eyes only makes Wendy swell with pride and joy. “I see how you are with Sooyoung and how much you care about her. I know you’re trying to be the big sister and look out for her but it’s kind of obvious you want her to be happy. It never hurts to just show it a little.” 

Joohyun doesn’t respond as she turns to pick up her phone off the dresser. She reads the message before letting out a resigned breath. “At least, it’s horseback riding today.” 

Wendy brightens at Joohyun’s words. “Does that mean you’re coming?” 

“Go get ready,” Joohyun deflects as she pulls out clothes from the drawer. “I’ll meet you downstairs.” 

Wendy cheers as she enters her room through the ensuite door. 

Joohyun shakes her head in amusement to herself, wondering how she could let Wendy convince her so simply.

Wendy pops her head back through the ensuite door. “Unnie, we’re going to have an amazing time, I promise. I’m so proud of you. I know Sooyoung is going to be ecstatic!” She chirps so cheerfully.

Keeping her composure, Joohyun shoos Wendy. “Go get ready, stop bothering me.” Joohyun can’t help the smile on her face at Wendy anyway. Wendy looks like she melts happily before disappearing back into her room. Joohyun smiles to herself as she gets ready while thinking of Wendy’s insistent big brown eyes. 

How cute.


 

For someone who reportedly doesn’t like animals, Joohyun connects quite well with horses. The guide is really surprised when Joohyun finds herself next to one of their stallions without trouble. She just stares at him for a few moments and he stares back before bowing his head for her to pet. Both Joohyun and Sooyoung have had experiences riding horses apparently, barely paying attention to the guide as they pet their horses respectively. 

Seulgi is a bit timid at first, carefully approaching her horse, who eyes her with the same level of suspicion. Luckily Sooyoung is there, brave as ever. 

“Seulgi, the horse can tell when you’re uncomfortable,” Sooyoung points out, guiding her girlfriend from behind towards the horse. “You have to welcome her, so that she knows your intentions.” 

“She’s not going to bite me is she?” Seulgi asks as she clutches the hay.

Sooyoung giggles. “Only if you put your hand in .” 

Meanwhile, Wendy is trying really hard to move around on her horse, but to no avail. She can feed it, brush it, and get on it, but her horse just won’t move. Honestly, she doesn’t know what to do.

Joohyun laughs at Wendy as she gets up on the horse for the umpteenth time and it remains still. “She’s ignoring you.” 

“Don’t you think I can tell?” Wendy lets out in frustration. “Why aren’t you moving for me? Even just a quick circle, so we can get going.” The horse just huffs and brushes her tail side to side with no intention of moving, leaving Wendy upset by the turn of events. 

Joohyun slips off the stallion with unbelievable grace before approaching Wendy’s horse. She instantly interacts with Joohyun’s presence, turning her head towards the woman with interest. Joohyun gently reaches out to pet her and she’s well received, the horse bobs its head up and down to encourage her. A small neigh accompanies her encouragement. 

“I thought you said you didn’t like animals,” Wendy points out, narrowing her eyes. As much as Joohyun looks attractive as some sort of country girl petting her horse, Wendy is jealous because she’s been putting in a lot of effort. 

Joohyun whispers something to the horse that earns her a louder neigh and she starts shifting back and forth. 

The movement startles Wendy and she almost falls. “What did you say?!” she exclaims terrified, clutching the reins for dear life. Luckily, the horse stops moving so she doesn’t have an actual heart attack. 

“I told her a joke,” Joohyun answers as she pets her again before going to Wendy’s side. 

“Really? You know jokes?” Wendy asks both skeptically and intrigued. 

Joohyun nods before raising her hand to Wendy. “Come on, she’s tired. You can ride with me.” 

“Did you have a whole conversation with a horse?” Wendy asks in confusion. “Are you a horse whisperer?” 

“What’s a horse whisperer?” Joohyun returns with the same level of confusion. She shakes her head, deciding that she doesn’t actually care. “Let’s go so we can enjoy the trail.” 

Wendy frowns, wishing that she could ride her own horse, but she acquiesces. She doesn’t think about Joohyun’s helping hand as she gets off, moving the same way she got on until her foot gets caught and she falls back with a yelp. 

Joohyun catches her in her arms and looks down at her carefully. 

Wendy notices in that moment that when Joohyun looks concerned, her brows furrow differently and her gaze softens until her eyes are a warm brown color. 

“You okay?” Joohyun asks quietly as if she says it any louder and everything would shatter around them. 

Wendy finally has the sense to close after

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter