chapter 6

my roommate, my vampire
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

a/n: i know i know i'm supposed to sleep but i need some joy in my life and being able to focus onn my stories take me away. so lets all enjoy this on wenrene day!!! (dont mind the mistakes im cracked out again)

 

Today it’s cold and rainy and Wendy doesn’t want to trudge through the rain with armfuls of groceries, but Wendy sees the long list of things they need and lets out a regretful sigh. Both of them have been especially busy and it shows because of the eaten fruits in the fridge, spoiling vegetables, and dwindling stack of snacks. If Joohyun’s okay with it, she can go another day. She dreads it because they are both pressed for time with finals creeping up.

It’s noon when Wendy hears footsteps upstairs and knows that Joohyun must be awake.

True to her word over the past couple of months living together, Joohyun did not have a significant other that would just wander around. Her sisters that randomly pop up have not either. Not that Wendy is complaining. Wendy is kind of relieved no one is intruding on their own little bubble. It’s been a blissful 5 months.  

Wendy tepidly goes upstairs towards Joohyun’s study. She rarely goes up to Joohyun’s area, even if the woman has expressed it’s no problem, Wendy feels uneasy intruding on her space. Today is an exception because there is a necessity. She holds her breath and knocks on the door.

“Unnie?” she carefully calls out.

After a few moments, Joohyun peeks her head out of the door, messy bun and goggles on top of her head, gloves on her hand, and white coat on. “Yes, Seungwan?”

Wendy's mouth flaps open at the sight and she’s unsure of where to even start. “What’re you doing?”

“I’m working,” Joohyun answers impatiently. She quickly glances back behind her.  

“Uh…”

“What did you need?”

“What’re you working on?” Wendy curiously asks, noticing the lights dimmed in the study.

Joohyun sighs, not hiding her annoyance at the way Wendy peers over her shoulder. “Seungwan.”

Wendy winces at the stern tone. “Sorry,” she quickly says. “You look like a mad scientist, you can’t blame me for being curious.”

“What did you need?” Joohyun repeats, this time demanding an answer.

“Sorry!” Wendy immediately apologizes again. “I just wanted to let you know that I probably won’t be shopping today because of the rain. I don’t want to carry all that stuff through the rain.”

Joohyun furrows her brows, looking out of the windows. “Ah. I didn’t know it was raining.” She thinks for a moment. “Can you wait for--” she sticks out her wrist to check her watch “--twenty or thirty minutes?”

“Sure? I didn’t have any other plans for today.”

Wendy is confused by the sudden request but in exactly twenty minutes, Wendy watches from the kitchen as Joohyun comes out of her study sans lab gear in her sweater and joggers and goes to her room. Ten minutes later, Joohyun walks out of her room in tight jeans, dark flowing t-shirt under a tan cardigan.

It’s another goddamn CF as Joohyun walks down the stairs, tugging the hair tie from her bun and letting her hair cascade in dark luscious waves. Even against the gloomy, rainy backdrop, Joohyun looks radiant, shining as she carefully hops down each step.

“What the heck?” Wendy whispers breathlessly at the sight.

Joohyun looks up as if she heard Wendy’s comment but doesn’t say anything as she runs her fingers through her hair--

“Oh my god.”

--before putting on a beat up baseball cap.

Joohyun laughs at Wendy. “Close your mouth, it’s unladylike.”

Wendy blushes profusely as she shuts . Internally, she curses her roommate for looking so freaking cute. “Are you headed out?”

“I’m driving you to go grocery shopping,” Joohyun answers as if Wendy should’ve known. She makes her way to the door to grab her small purse and throws the strap over her shoulder before putting her shoes on.

“You have a car?!”

“Of course I have a car. We have access to the parking garage for a reason.” Joohyun shoots Wendy a cheeky smile.

It’s a bit infuriating to know that Joohyun has a car. An expensive one, which is to be expected, but it’s luckily not ostentatious like a sports car thankfully. It’s the perfect size SUV for moving about the city and running errands. Although…Wendy questions the legality of how tinted Joohyun’s windows are.

“I can’t believe you let me walk for the past five months,” Wendy huffs in the passenger seat, crossing her arms.

“I thought you liked walking.”

“Not when I have to carry groceries,” Wendy argues quickly. “Do you know how tired my arms are after carrying it home?”

“I thought you’ve been using the gym at our place,” Joohyun recalls.

“That doesn’t mean I don’t need help! You could try shopping for us every once in a while.”

Wendy can’t believe how annoyed she is with Joohyun. It’s probably because she’s so cavalier about the situation. Five months. How did Wendy go five months without realizing Joohyun had a car? What else doesn’t she know about her roommate? Has Joohyun always worked from home? Does she have a lab in the condo? What is she experimenting on?

Wendy is knocked out of her thoughts when she feels Joohyun push her shoulder. “What?” she snaps.

Joohyun looks surprised at Wendy. She pauses. Wendy is about to apologize for snapping when Joohyun interrupts her with a soft, “Sorry.” This time Wendy is surprised. “I really thought you knew I had a car. I just assumed because you didn’t ask, everything was fine. I didn’t know you were struggling with taking care of errands for the condo. You can always use my car if you need to.”

Wendy looks at Joohyun, who stares intently at the road. Her lips are pursed and her eyes keep glancing at Wendy carefully. She’s genuinely apologizing and she looks ridiculously cute that it melts Wendy’s heart.

“Yah...” Wendy scolds gently. “Stop looking so cute when I’m trying to be mad at you.”  

Joohyun burst out into laughter at Wendy’s statement. “What the heck are you saying?” she exclaims through fits of laughter. “That was so greasy!”

 

They’re walking up and down the aisles together, Wendy is holding the list as Joohyun pushes the cart.

“You know I never understood why you have a handwritten list when the fridge can sync with our phones,” Wendy points out after all these months because this is literally the first time she’s ever gone shopping with Joohyun.

Joohyun shrugs. “I like handwritten things.”

“It’s a bit old fashioned,” Wendy jests as she bumps her shoulder with Joohyun. Joohyun just looks at her with amusement. “Plus, we should be more eco-friendly.”

“Say that to the medical articles you have printed out in reams,” Joohyun counters.

“Okay, to be fair, annotating on paper is a lot easier on the eyes than my computer screen.”

“Hmm. Old fashioned.”

Wendy rolls her eyes at Joohyun’s sly comment. She’s about to make a quip, when suddenly she feels her foot slip.

Before she can even breath, she feels Joohyun’s arm around her waist steadying her. Joohyun suddenly brings her closer until they’re chest to chest. Wendy completely loses her breath at the proximity because she can feel Joohyun’s chest breathing against hers.

Joohyun is looking at where Wendy’s foot was and carefully bru

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter