Libraries Are Good Hiding Places

little bits

Wendy hides right by the window, furiously scanning through a thick book in her hand. She can feel perspiration rolling in beads on her head and under her sweater, her clammy hands sticking to the pages.

When her younger friend Yerim called her earlier, she was expecting a progress update on her studies. She is tutoring the girl after all.

Instead what she gets is a hurried Unnie, please remember I'm your dongsaeng and you love me.

She loves Yerim, she really does. She's a very intelligent girl who gets things done once she puts her mind to it.

Unfortunately, she puts her mind on dangerous situations more often than her studies. And thus, Wendy's current predicament.

Wendy chances a peak at the window. Yep, they're still there. Victims of an unfortunate love potion accident.

Apparently, Yerim "accidentally" sprayed the whole quad with an experimental love potion. She'd turned the liquid into mist and wanted to see if it worked just as well. As a witch herself, Wendy may be a little proud of Yerim. As a victim? Wendy may want to hurt Yerim. Accidentally.

Wendy had been running around campus all afternoon trying to avoid the result of Yerim's apparent mishap. Her soccer training had nothing on the endurance she had to exhibit in order to avoid thirsty girls and boys.

She had a very little window of time to slip into the school's maze of a library undetected and she took it. She barricaded the doors and hurriedly browsed through the secret section for magical spells and potions.

"Shoot," she whispers. There's nothing in this book either.

Wendy returns the book on the shelf and browses again. She goes through aisle after aisle. She's so focused that she doesn't notice the obscene amount of books littering on the floor and promptly trips. Wendy closes her eyes and braces for impact.

Which isn't as painful as she expected.

Except there was a grunt of pain that's not coming from her.

"Ukh, what the ?!"

Wendy opens her eyes to the most beautiful girl she's ever seen.

"Who the ? Get off of me!"

A very beautiful girl who looks like she's five seconds away from murdering Wendy.

She scrambles off the pained girl gracelessly with apologies flying out of her tongue. The girl doesn't seem to hear her, however, only muttering to herself.

"I prefer people falling for me, instead of on me.

Wendy's eyes widen. She's not exactly far from getting there. Beautiful girl still looks cute annoyed with her cheeks puffed. The rattling of the library doors snaps her out of her musings. . She freezes.

There's a muffled conversation outside before someone starts pounding on the doors, trying to get them open.

Wendy grabs the girl's arm and pulls her along as she navigates through the shelves.

"Yah, what are you doing?! Let go of me!"

"There's no time. We have to hide," Wendy whispers.

"Hide from what? Why are we whispering and what the hell is going on?" the girl whispers back.

Shoot. How does she say love potion without getting herself and Yerim in trouble?

"Are you being chased?"

Well that's one way to put it. Wendy nods, continues to walk. Pretty girl manages to pull her arm away from Wendy's grip only to hold it again with her hand properly.

"Your grip was cutting off my blood circulation. Holding my hand like this is better, don't you think?"

The girl shows a little smile and for a moment, Wendy forgets about the people right outside the library doors. She doesn't even remember when she stopped moving. She's not even sure if she's still breathing.

"I'm Joohyun, by the way," the girl says. "Bae Joohyun."

Darn it. Even her name is pretty. Wendy opens in reply.

"H-haa..."

Pathetic. Utterly, inconceivably pathetic. Wendy wants to throw herself out of a window and pray not to survive.

The girl raises and eyebrow minutely and smirks. SMIRKS. Shoot.

"You are?"

"W-Wendy. I'm Wendy."

There's a loud bang on the door and Wendy finally snaps out of it. She stops staring at Joohyun and starts looking around to try and use anything.

"Joohyun, do you think you can help me move these bookshelves?"

Wendy walks towards the nearest one and starts on pushing one but to no avail.

"What are you doing?"

"Barricade in case they get in."

Joohyun stands and watches Wendy throw herself on the floor to try and figure out how to move the stupid thing.

"You know they're still going to find you even if you do that, right?"

"Yeah but at least I buy myself time."

Joohyun rolls her eyes and walks away. Wendy pushes herself up in alarm and hastily follows after the girl, intent on pulling her back where they're far away from the door.

"Hey! where are you going?!"

Joohyun stops at a very messy area of the library. She picks up something buried under piles of opened and unopened books scattered all over the floor.

"I was sleeping when you assaulted me—"

"I tripped!" Wendy corrects.

"—so I came here to get this."

Wendy stares at the hoodie Joohyun holds with her hand.

"Unless that can make me invisible, I don't understand how that's relevant at all."

Joohyu rolls her eyes and walks towards Wendy, only stopping when they're barely a hand's length apart. Wendy's heart starts to dance in beats that resounds from her ears.

Then darkness.

But only for a second. Joohyun has put the hoodie over Wendy's head and pulled it down. Damn, she smells good.

"It may not make you invisible but it will help you hide."

Wendy outs her arms over the sleeves before Joohyun could teasingly do it for her. She's not a baby, she can dress herself thank you very much.

"I don't know how to tell you this but people don't look different if they put on a hoodie," she tells Joohyun.

A final bang and the door opens. Joohyun pulls the hood over Wendy's head and pulls her down on the ground, muffling the girl's yelp with her hand on .

"Keep quiet and stay close," Joohyun whispers.

And boy, were they close. Close enough for Wendy to prove just how flawless Joohyun's skin is. She tries to pull back up from straddling Joohyun but the girl's grip on the hoodie around her face is pretty strong. Joohyun shakes her head to tell her stop, brushing their noses in the process.

Wendy tries to control her breathing.

There's footsteps. Joohyun stares at her pointedly before lowering her hand to hold on to Wendy's only to guide them to touch her waist. When she's certain Wendy will not let go, she puts her arms around the girl's hoodie covered neck.

Wendy settles herself on top of Joohyun, careful not to put on too much weight on the other girl. When Joohyun realizes this, she tightens her hold on Wendy's neck and brings the girl closer.

Wendy lands back on Joohyun's lap and their faces get even closer. So close that Wendy's eyes can't focus where to look so she closes them instead.

The footsteps are nearing. Wendy starts to freeze in fear. Joohyun lowers one of her hands to caress Wendy's back, an attempt to soothe her.

Wendy feels it. Feels the way Joohyun's hand traces undecipherable patterns on her back. Wendy can practically feel the tension seep away as she melts into the other girl.

"They're gone."

Wendy feels the breath from that whisper on her lips and only then does she realize they're leaning forehead to forehead.

She pulls herself back quickly as if she's afraid of getting burned but she doesn't go too far. Joohyun slowly detangles her arms from Wendy as she stares at her.

"So, now that I've saved you, I believe I earned myself the truth."

"Wh— saved me?"

Joohyun rolls her eyes, as if everything was so obvious.

"People generally don't bother people making out."

"But we... weren't making out?"

"Why, do you want to?

Would it be very extra for Wendy to have a heart attack at this very moment? Because she feels like she's about to. What the heck.

Yet Joohyun looks unperturbed and pushes on, as if having a stranger straddle her lap was not weird at all.

"So, the truth? Who were those people?"

Joohyun looks her in the eyes and Wendy finds herself unable to get away, unable to stop.

"I'm being chased by strangers who are in love with me."

Wendy cringes. Saying it like that sounds so crass. Saying it to a beautiful girl makes it sound even worse.

But Joohyun doesn't laugh at her. She looks at Wendy, really looks at her, and hums.

"I can see that."

Wendy fights the urge to cover herself with her hands. She can already feel the rising heat on her neck and on her cheeks.

"It's the love potion," she mumbles. Then catches herself, hands flying to cover her own mouth.

"Love potion? That's tricky but it fades. You just have to wait it out."

Wendy slowly lowers her hands as she anxiously bites at her lips and looks at Joohyun.

"You're not going to report me?"

Joohyun actually giggles as she says no, she won't. Wendy visibly sags in relief.

"Besides," the girl continues, "We've all had our fair share of mischief. I know I definitely have mine."

"You have? But you don't look like a troublemaker."

Joohyun hums in response. She raises her hands to gently take the hood off Wendy's head and pats down the girl's hair.

Wendy tries her best not to get distracted as Joohyun's fingers combs through her short hair.

"I kinda want to hear your... adventures. You really don't seem like a troublemaker to me."

"That's a second date kind of story. You'd have to take me to our first date to get there."

Wendy might have stuttered through asking Joohyun out but she powers through. She can't wait for their first date.